ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio DCI takes forever to start

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry if similar to other threads, but i've got a video to contribute to explain my problem. Car won't start for ages but once started it will normally fire back up again after the second attempt for the rest of the day. Do you reckon it needs new glow plugs?

Should add that it may have headgasket failure, but passes sniffer test and no coolant gets into the oil, but there's oil in the coolant.

All in all it's a complete shed tbh. Any ideas?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Injectors or air leak on fuel system.

You can test glow plugs in situe , multimeter set to Ohmz ( resistance ) red lead to the tip of the glow plug ( where the plug goes on ) and black to the Nut part of the body further down. Dead glows = 1 or over load
Work glows or ones with high restostance start with 0.

Primer bulb probably won't go solid on it , never seen one that has.
Prime the hell out of it first then try to start it.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Headgaskets arnt common unless the engine has been driven whilst over heated.

Oil in coolant usuall is the oil cooler ( what your oil filter fits on ) seen it plenty of times including my old dci.

Headgasket usually pressurises the coolant to much and the cap will ' vent ' off

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers everyone, will carry out everything suggested and update thread on the outcome.

Sadly @HMS Derv Destroyer the car has been driven overheated. Water pump was knackered when I bought it and oil cooler only just been replaced as that's what I thought could be the issue. It still pressurises, but doesn't loose that much coolant.

It's a real dog of a car but doesn't owe me all that much so just trying to rinse it for all it's worth before it dies...

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Definitely a fuel system issue Chris. Look for airbubbles in the fuel lines. At that mileage I would suspect injectors and not pump but have been proven wrong before. If it's pump or more than one or two injectors I'd cut your losses.