ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cone filter, strut brace

Black 172
I have a cone filter on my 172 i think it is slowing it down, which is best the standard filter or a proper one with a cold air feed ? or maybe a performance exhaust and the standard air filter?? i like the noise from the air filter thats on it but i am sure it is slowing it down

Also what exactly does a strut brace do ? is it just to make the car handle better? keep it more rigid?

Thanks

Clio MK2 172
Yup, Strut brace will stiffen the front end chasis so when cornering it's more rigid. I have one on mine, but I'm not sure how good it is as it was on the car when I bought it, so wouldn't know the difference.

Not sure about your air filter enquiry...

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Take the cone off Vicky - it will slow your car down. Get a viper ram air with cold feed and just decat your standard system - it will make a very noticable difference. I can de-cat it for you if you like ?

1996 Valver
Yeah, the strut brace just joins the top struts to add rigidity, I have one on my valver, with spax adjustable and powerflex bushes, I think all of these combined make quite a bit of difference, but might not do a huge amount with just the brace, I would still get one if I where you, if anything just for the aesthetics, try strutbracer.co.uk(?) they seem to be quite cheep.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Unless its a proffesional strut brace set up correctly it wont do sweet FA. Vicky isnt the type to give her car death and it will be more for show than go.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^ Agreed. No point in u buyin a strut brace. Matt's got one and he can't drive for peanuts anyway! ;)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
j3ned said:
Unless its a proffesional strut brace set up correctly it wont do sweet FA. Vicky isnt the type to give her car death and it will be more for show than go.

Dont understand whats to set-up correctly, whats a pro strut bace ? You just bolt it (not srew) in place and the difference is quite noticeable especially if you do trackdays.

Its a cheep mod and a worth while one if you track your car, OMP is as good as you will get and there about 55 quid.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
OMP are crap - they flex. Fit one on the rear struts and you can push hard on the centre and it bends because they are cheap and tacky. A proper strut brace should be firm and rigid with no flex at all - the whole idea of the strut brace is to enhance rigidity. From my experience home made ones made from thick steel and welded to the shocker turrets are the best. OMP are for the max power brigade

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
j3ned said:
OMP are crap - they flex. Fit one on the rear struts and you can push hard on the centre and it bends because they are cheap and tacky. A proper strut brace should be firm and rigid with no flex at all - the whole idea of the strut brace is to enhance rigidity. From my experience home made ones made from thick steel and welded to the shocker turrets are the best. OMP are for the max power brigade

PMSL...

Rear strut braces are connected to the rear shock mount rubbers and are a waste of time.

The front one "which i was talking about" is attached to the bodyshell. If you think this flexes then your obviously Mr. fookin T.

Also OMP are the same brand fitted to the Clio cup race cars so cheap and nasty dont think so. I must tell them they are all MAX POWER LOL...!

What a silly comment.............

MERCEDES CLS AMG
So Renault fit £55 strut braces to there £100k clio cups - lol. I am not going to even waste my time talkin to you pal. Go and put your feet up and have a nice cup of tea - maybe some Mr kipling slices ?? - ive forgot more about mechanical engineering and building modded cars than you know.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
j3ned said:
So Renault fit £55 strut braces to there £100k clio cups - lol. I am not going to even waste my time talkin to you pal. Go and put your feet up and have a nice cup of tea - maybe some Mr kipling slices ?? - ive forgot more about mechanical engineering and building modded cars than you know.

100k Clio cup, you obviously know your stuff...! not, you can buy them for 25k Euros, including and OMP strut brace thats attached to the top of the front suspension topmounts. So you dont know what you are talking about.

As for your engineering boasts from some one who has a TT engined milk crate then LOL.... Straight lining is for challenged people, how boring and divoid of skill.....

Enough said. EVOgone - 1st Mech eng and Msc in Manufacturing Eninging technology......

MERCEDES CLS AMG
This guy goes out buys a car ( 172 cup / evo ? ) does the ring and thinks hes schumacher. Try building a car from scratch and blowing the doors off any modern day production car that tries it on - on a track or the strip. When you have succesfully done this i will listen to any info you have to say.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
j3ned said:
This guy goes out buys a car ( 172 cup / evo ? ) does the ring and thinks hes schumacher. Try building a car from scratch and blowing the doors off any modern day production car that tries it on - on a track or the strip. When you have succesfully done this i will listen to any info you have to say.

LOL that TT clio...!

Enjoy it - "blow the doors off any production car" LOL what a load of bollox.

Just cause you got your 100k cup racer / OMP facts wrong dont go getting knickers in a twist.

Building a car from scratch does the formula student scholarship count. Bit more technical than putting an audi engine in a clio.....

Where have i ever boasted about my driving prowess. Unlike you boasting about you engineering skills.

Last edited by a moderator:

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
j3ned said:

Give the TT clio to the Stig he will show you how good it isnt round the top gear test track. Would'nt make it halfway up the "PRODUCTION CAR" leader board.

BTW the Cup is the GF car......

Clio 172 mk2
IMHO you won't notice much difference with a strut brace.....the suspension turrets are far too close to the bulkhead anyway where they are well supported.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Neil G said:
IMHO you won't notice much difference with a strut brace.....the suspension turrets are far too close to the bulkhead anyway where they are well supported.

I have noticed a difference but only on track (like many others), subtle but definately better. Im sure all the track people:-

Yozza
GDI
etc

all have one.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
The Vengabus is coming
And everybody's jumping
New York to San Fransisco
An intercity disco
The wheels of steel are turning
And traffic lights are burning
So if you like to party
Get on and move your body

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Nice strut brace on the Venga bus......

Sparco "even cheeper than OMP".......LOL

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Im happy to see you keep pictures of my car on your PC

And if you "apparently" know your stuff you will realise that the strut brace fitted is an OMP with a sticker on it ...lol - you should write comedy strips mate.

That has now been removed because they are s**t as 1st stated

Now hows about another Mr kipling ??

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
j3ned said:
Im happy to see you keep pictures of my car on your PC

And if you "apparently" know your stuff you will realise that the strut brace fitted is an OMP with a sticker on it ...lol - you should write comedy strips mate.

That has now been removed because they are sh*t as 1st stated

Now hows about another Mr kipling ??

PMSL - slags stuff off but has it fitted himself and tries to hide the fact with a sparco sticker (which are even cheeper)..!

Hows the Max power car going.............

Mmmm these pies are nice..

MERCEDES CLS AMG
The car is fine - fancy putting your money were your mouth is and racing me on a track are quarter mile ???? bet ya i kick your ass.

Almond slice is my favourite btw mmmmmmmm

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
j3ned said:
The car is fine - fancy putting your money were your mouth is and racing me on a track are quarter mile ???? bet ya i kick your ass.

Almond slice is my favourite btw mmmmmmmm

Take it to the ring, see what time you get. If your cars not blown up or in the armco then give me call.

My Evo used to do low twelves and it was near standard apart from the ECU...

My current S-line A4 i would be disapointed if you didnt. Your very boastful and say i will beat you in a car that may have twice the horse is very impressive.

Race me race me....Grow-up

MERCEDES CLS AMG
I eat EVO's for my breakfast .........and Mr kiplings as well. Say have you ever seen the venga bus at the ring ??

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
j3ned said:
I eat EVO's for my breakfast .........and Mr kiplings as well. Say have you ever seen the venga bus at the ring ??

PMSL...12 is not fast for the MLR brigade - infact you wouldnt make the top 50.

When you get into the 9s let us all know...

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89100

Thats engineering not an Audi engine in a pensioners banger...

As said take your clio to the ring then give me a call.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
LOL - people that cant do it thereselves always bring there friends into it.

I will race you in what you own now - not what your dad drives are your mate. I will bet you £100 i beat you

Once we have had the race i will open up a packet of Mr Kiplings "new" cherry slices and we will have a picnic - perhaps i will bring some scones ?? who knows

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
j3ned said:
LOL - people that cant do it thereselves always bring there friends into it.

I will race you in what you own now - not what your dad drives are your mate. I will bet you £100 i beat you

Once we have had the race i will open up a packet of Mr Kiplings "new" cherry slices and we will have a picnic - perhaps i will bring some scones ?? who knows

See you at the ring, as said a std bhp car cup can do it in 8.44 BTG. When you have done this let me know.

Enjoy trying, the balls in your court...........waiting.........

As said - race me race me how sad. Your max power car is just a chav mobile and the majority of people wouldnt be seen dead in it.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Im getting to you now arent i :D ......... Did you know Mr Kipling goes to the Ring ? him and his wife ( Mrs kipling ) are exceedingly good at track days and they to have an EVO. Ive also seen them racing at Donnington against mr and mrs Eclair ( inventor of the chocolate eclair ) they to had an EVO but lost as Mrs Kipling kept chucking her new "lemon" slices into the path of Mr and Mrs Eclair causing them to skid and come off the track.

Everyone has AIDS!
AIDS AIDS AIDS!
AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS!
Everyone has AIDS!

And so this is the end of our story
And everyone is dead from AIDS
It took from me my best friend
My only true pal
My only bright star (he died of AIDS)

Well I'm gonna march on Washington
Lead the fight and charge the brigades
There's a hero inside of all of us
I'll make them see everyone has AIDS

My father (AIDS!)
My sister (AIDS!)
My uncle and my cousin and her best friend (AIDS AIDS AIDS!)
The gays and the straights
And the whites and the spades

Everyone has AIDS!
My grandma and my dog 'ol blue (AIDS AIDS AIDS)
The pope has got it and so do you (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)
C'mon everybody we got quilting to do (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)
We gotta break down these baricades, everyone has
AIDS! x 20

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
j3ned said:
Im getting to you now arent i :D ......... Did you know Mr Kipling goes to the Ring ? him and his wife ( Mrs kipling ) are exceedingly good at track days and they to have an EVO. Ive also seen them racing at Donnington against mr and mrs Eclair ( inventor of the chocolate eclair ) they to had an EVO but lost as Mrs Kipling kept chucking her new "lemon" slices into the path of Mr and Mrs Eclair causing them to skid and come off the track.

Not at all, whats to get uptight about........ You have a Max Power car and im very happy with what i have got.....

Been the ring yet or worried your radiator will go pop.....LOL