ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cr33do and Meek_Racing's track car project

Renault 5 Turbo
I can try my battery on the car and get a reading, or just re-charge and take it from there. Lets hope the battery and alternator are not fudged now.

i don't think it'll be the battery buddy because even if the batt was poopered you'll still be reading 13.5 to 14v from the alternator, and the battery was cranking it over no problem. So I think your alternators given up the ghost :(

Golf GTD Mk7
Ups and downs as usual boys :( On the plus side, plenum looks mint. Not bad for two boys from the midlands ;) Before you go buying a new alternator, have you checked the inline fuse on the positive cable? Unless you didn't fit one? Worth a check though before you spend £300 on a new alternator.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Cheers Jonny:)

Wont be the fuse at that also feeds the starter motor permenant live and as far as I know thats still working when the battery is charged. Probably try and source a second hand / exchange unit for now.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
:rasp:

I really wish we could just leave it alone and drive the thing:(

I will have you know our electronic trouble shooting skills are first rate;)

Lets look at the evidence:

Starter motor fault diagnosed and repaired
throttle body fault diagnosed and repaired

Dont think an alternator will be that hard with just two wires:)

Golf GTD Mk7
:rasp:

I really wish we could just leave it alone and drive the thing:(

I will have you know our electronic trouble shooting skills are first rate;)

Lets look at the evidence:

Starter motor fault diagnosed and repaired
throttle body fault diagnosed and repaired

Dont think an alternator will be that hard with just two wires:)

Good job you have a cup alternator on there hey ;) Wiring is the devils work, how Mick stays saine is beyond me.

RB 182
Update #23 - Fix yet another issue ;)

[FONT=&amp]After a few quotes we decided to go with West Renault for the alternator and[/FONT] Megane spark plugs. Nick had previously had major issues fitting the bottom cap screws to the manifold so I purchased an extension bar to make the job a lot easier. The end result was 30 minutes to remove and replace the parts, I'm glad this wasn't my 182 having the work done lol.

I cut down a spare breather plate, welded the hole, cut down the oval breather pipe, and then had the whole lot dipped and powder coated :) This now meant that the pure motorsport strut brace could fit without and fouling on the coil pack, and looked much more tidy. The coil pack was moved next to the cam seal on the right hand side, I had this fabricated and powder coated. Due to the new location of the coil pack the wires looked a bit odd with their length, We have since moved them around but I havent got an updated picture for that.

IMAG0338_zps3ae41a7f.jpg

Oh, and meet our new mascot ;)

IMAG0327_zps5ed7f3e4.jpg

9ft tall solid resin jelly baby. We don't half have some crazy stuff come in at work!

Last edited:
  182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
Havnt checked this in a while. The manifold you made looks good, I remember you saying you were going to do one. Shame about the power/cost but hopefully you'll be able to squeeze more from her. Keep it up mate.

Golf GTD Mk7
With the starter issues you guys had, which way did you find easiest to remove it? I'm thinking from above/below, but the manual says via the wheel arch?

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Johny,

Plenum off then starter out the top. With rotation it comes out through the exhaust manifold to the passenger side. Didn't take too long but we could have been lucky finding the right angle early on.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
No probs. good luck with it.

Fingers crossed we should be out at Bedford autodrome on the 27th of this month. I know it's not the same as Donny or Oulton but I cannot wait to get it on track again!

RB 182
Havnt checked this in a while. The manifold you made looks good, I remember you saying you were going to do one. Shame about the power/cost but hopefully you'll be able to squeeze more from her. Keep it up mate.

The only cost implication was the rebuild and that was something we needed to do either way. We didn't want to buy a second hand one and Fred helped to build one that will be strong, and be even more powerful if we were to go down the ITB route or similar. The manifold has cost us next to nothing ;)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Is there a chance the manifold could actually be a restriction at this point?

I very very much doubt it to be honest. Paul didnt suggest it either. Almost straight runners with good radius velocity stacks should flow mmore air than the std item. The air box has a larger internal volume compared to the original part too, which ultimately should help top end power. Even the routing from the airfilter to plenum contains less bends than normal.

As I briefly mentioned in my RR write up the ignition advance had to be pulled back to circa 16 adv due to pump fuel detonating due to the compression. With normal advance we would see 200bhp+ and a decent gain in torque but without changing parts it's not possible. If we knew the head had been skimmed so much it would have been interesting to fit std comp forged pistons and see what the result was.

Ethonal conversion will allow us to increase the advance. Already started to research it for next year.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Still doing some research Jonny. Reading on some of the suppliers sites the kits can piggy back of std ecu and the wiring is minimal/plug and play. Not sure it will happen but something to think about.

Bedford is a no go next Saturday. 34th on the reserve list. Lol. Now looking for alternatives days elsewhere.

Golf GTD Mk7
Fuel pump was what I was thinking. Seals may not like it

Still doing some research Jonny. Reading on some of the suppliers sites the kits can piggy back of std ecu and the wiring is minimal/plug and play. Not sure it will happen but something to think about.

Bedford is a no go next Saturday. 34th on the reserve list. Lol. Now looking for alternatives days elsewhere.

I'm supposed to be doing cadwell on Sunday, but as the car isn't right I'm not bothering. Just waiting on ET to get back to me, and if they let me transfer it, you can take my place.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Cheers Jonny. Cadwell is on my tracks to do list. Quite a distance from us though. I used to do some work out that way and the last 80 miles are proper tractor country:) Out of interest was it this Sunday coming or the following one?

Re the ethonal. Fred did mention we would need new fuel lines so your thoughts about the pump are probably correct

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Update #24 - Door cards

Last week i ordered a few bits and pieces off eBay in preparation to make some door cards this weekend. Seeing a few of the race cars the other weekend at Oulton Park confirmed that foam board is an ideal lightweight material perfect for this application. I ordered 2 sheets from here.

I also ordered 25 of these scrivets:
C92B9011-300C-4C81-858C-A27CFE40E4C9-1362-000001F1A9895807.jpg

from here. Seemed perfect for £5.95 delivered

First off, i removed any existing fastners from both doors which would get in the way of the new cards. I then thought long and hard about where to relocate the electric window switches to. Initially i wanted to re-route the loom so the double driver side switches could be housed somewhere in the centre console. After assessing the situation i thought this might be better left to another day as its not a 5 minute job :(

On to making a cardboard template:

ED472C17-54A9-4BC0-BE07-0408FD709B8F-1362-000001F1F566EC47.jpg

Then transferred the pattern to the foam sheets. This stuff it quick and easy to cut with a new stanley blade. I then taped the new cards to the door and drilled 6.5mm holes through both the card and door. All that remained was then to push in the scrivets and fasten the door handles.

8B992D50-5BB3-46E0-8D6F-177641A633AA-1362-000001F192689CCA.jpg

2C1B0839-EE87-438E-B43A-A65577CA433F-1362-000001F1E2092449.jpg

The addition of the cards really makes an improvement to the look of the interior. Pretty good value at £25! In time, i need to add some loops of material to act as door pulls and work out what to do with the electric window switches. Currently they are just hanging out the top of the door cards. I could cut a rectangle in each card to locate the switches, but in the future we may sack off the electric windows and get some polycarbonate replacements.

Next on the the things to do list is strip and re-build the o/s/f brake caliper as its a bit lazy.

In the next couple of days we should have hopefully booked a track day at Oulton Park for early November.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Update# 25 - Brake caliper overhall

In preparation to our track day at Oulton Park this coming Friday Mike and i today tackled an issue we have had for a while with the front brakes. The car pulls to the left under braking and the passenger side wheel always get covered in more brake dust than the drivers side. Appears we have a lazy/sticking osf caliper. Earlier in the week i placed an order with Big Red brakes, located in Worcester. I cannot fault the service i received from them as the person i dealt with lives very local to me so offered to drop the seal kit and piston to my house the same night!

Today Mike and I removed the caliper:

C35FFE10-844E-4820-93CD-9997D915E893-4765-000007FD58B15AD3.jpg

Removed the piston by blowing air in to the brake hose hole using a track pump. Glad we kept the pads in as the piston fires out once free!!

58B1BAA6-37D4-4627-811B-6B7BA325594F-4765-000007FD7182F26A.jpg

Cleaned everything (caliper, carrier, sliders...) and got the new parts ready:

5191D120-ED9D-48AA-A9F5-4EF4B0E5C8D4-4765-000007FD807D232F.jpg

and reassembled:

77C499E6-95F5-4184-8338-583FF78B39B7-4765-000007FD9155B40E.jpg

Put it back on the car and took it for a quick drive. Car now pulls up perfectly straight. Result!

I've got a couple of other things to do over the next few days which include sort a very minor oil leak from one of the oil cooler unions and get the tracking sorted as it hasnt been done since the engine went back in(lower ball joint removed). Then its ready for Friday and its first trackday of the year! Lol

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Looking good guys, cant wait to see it friday!

My car was fixed today with a polybushed dogbone mount, just need an alignment and I am good to go, also picked up some proper track tyres and wheels.

See you friday.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Looking good guys, cant wait to see it friday!

My car was fixed today with a polybushed dogbone mount, just need an alignment and I am good to go, also picked up some proper track tyres and wheels.

See you friday.

Nice one! Wondered if anyone else was attending. See you Friday - lets hope the weather is kind to us!