ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cup on the motorway?

Hi folks,

As alot of you will have read by now im after my first clio 172 to get me up and down the motorway every week.

Alot of the well priced/low mileage examples near me are cups,i know the suspension has been firmed up but does that make for a less comfortable motorway ride?

I also much prefer the seats of the standard 172,were any cups ever made with the standard seats?

Cheers.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
if its going to be used alot on motorways then you might want to consider the cruise control that some Ph2's have?

I'm on a budget if about 3k so I don't know how picky I can be!thanks for the help mate .i'm checking pistonheads every hour at the moment!

I do a lot of motorway driving to Heathrow. The car copes fine and doesnt bother me at all, although the stripped interior and bucket seats dont help!

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
TBH the 1*2's really need a 6th gear for motorways imo.

I drive 200miles on my journey home up the M1/A1 and sometimes get fed up of not having a 6th :(

Clio 172 Cup
i bought a 172 cup a few months ago. its the worst car i've ever owned. and i've owned bad cars. cav gsi's etc. diff circlip keeps popping out every time i drive it a bit hard, gear selector needed replacing theres sum sort of grindin noise under hard accelerion in 1st and 2nd theres a knockin cumin from the back sumtimes. at highspeed theres draughts cumin through thers likely more. its only done 50000 so its not exactly high milage either. its up for sale by the way as well

Megane Trophy, Golf
i bought a 172 cup a few months ago. its the worst car i've ever owned. and i've owned bad cars. cav gsi's etc. diff circlip keeps popping out every time i drive it a bit hard, gear selector needed replacing theres sum sort of grindin noise under hard accelerion in 1st and 2nd theres a knockin cumin from the back sumtimes. at highspeed theres draughts cumin through thers likely more. its only done 50000 so its not exactly high milage either. its up for sale by the way as well

You must of got a bad one thats been heavily abused lol ;)

MCS R56

Another happy customer! Good luck selling with that review!

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
the no 6th gear is a curse for motorways! i find the 182 cup a bit firm for motorways but the motorways here arent too good!!;) generally very comfortable but def go for cruise control, that way you can sit back n lazily make your way to work!! lol!!

Never feel the need for a 6th gear, usually something pulls out into the lane I'm in forcing me back down to 4th :mad:

Clio 1970000000
TBH the 1*2's really need a 6th gear for motorways imo.

I drive 200miles on my journey home up the M1/A1 and sometimes get fed up of not having a 6th :(

If you have a 197, you need a 7th gear for the motorway :(. All the Clio sports are geared for fun/performance rather than cruising.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Why the hell did you buy it? you must have noticed half of the faults when looking over/test driving it lol.

Clio 172 Cup
no just this last while its happend. maybe its just bad luck for so much to go wrong at once. i'll get everything done anyways and c how it goes

MCS R56
no just this last while its happend. maybe its just bad luck for so much to go wrong at once. i'll get everything done anyways and c how it goes

I'm sure you'll enjoy it once it's fixed. Mine served me well with 5 years of hassle free driving!

I found it ok on the motorways but as mentioned, another gear would have been nice for cruising.

Golf GT TDI
oh its in renault gettin everything fixed. i've not even asked how much its going to be tho haha

brave mother fucker! lol

renault are not cheap!

hope it all gets sorted for you, mine has been fine in the 15 months i have owned it so sounds like you got a friday 4:55pm car lol

clio rs

isn't the car still under renault warranty if its under 60000miles

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
You should find the journey fine, as long as its not every day you shouldn't be too bothered by the car. All in all they're fine for motorway use.

Just to add - a 6th gear would be nice! Drove a Mondeo 6 spd box tdci today to machester and back and loved having a 6th gear!

Astra van,Mk1 nova
oh its in renault gettin everything fixed. i've not even asked how much its going to be tho haha

Your going to be raped from arse hole to ear hole unless its under warrenty :lolup:

Ive never had a problem with mine. Fine on motorway trips and 38mpg isnt to bad either :)

S4 Avant
If you're looking for a 172 cup, specifically for motorway miles, your barking up the wrong tree. At 70 - 80mph in 5th gear, you're doing 3,500 - 4,000 revs, and the seating position isn't great for extended periods of driving. I get a bad back after 50 minutes.

Its only from blackpool to manchester a couple of times a week,coming from my mx5 im hoping itll be alot comfier(and safer!).Ive looked into other options but nothing sounds as fun as the 172!

2016 Audi RS3
You can pick up a third party warranty policy from someone like Warranty Direct or Warranty Wise(?). I did this for my first 12 months of Cup ownage and the policy paid for itself when snapped a front spring.

Clio 172 Cup
yeah ur better with a warrenty. turns out my problems have bn down to a fault in the gearbox. i'm havin the box and clutch replaced by renault. at the lovely cost of 1700. hopefully now i can enjoy my car with everything fixed

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
yeah ur better with a warrenty. turns out my problems have bn down to a fault in the gearbox. i'm havin the box and clutch replaced by renault. at the lovely cost of 1700. hopefully now i can enjoy my car with everything fixed

What, you have to much money to throw at that car!!!

As for cup on the motorway, its fine and will cope fine, 6th gear would be nice. Although i had a mk5 diesel golf for a week and did about 500 miles in it and to be honest it was in a different league. Did a 6 hour stint and felt fine, not sure i would have managed it in the cup!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's fine on the motorway if you don't speed. But as I cruise at 90ish it's reving far to much IMO.

It's fine on the motorway if you don't speed. But as I cruise at 90ish it's reving far to much IMO.

Should try mine with a noisey exhaust then on the motorways lol.

I tend to try and avoid using the motorways as much as possible, apart from being extremely boring the constant droning from the exhaust gives me an headache.

Clio 172 Cup
haha ive no option but to get it fixed. hopefully this is the last i have to spend on it for a long time apart from general upkeep.

avoid motorways and use b roads instead. ul never have a boring drive to work haha