ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Davys 172 Flamer!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Managed to get the bits fitted. Had massive difficulty fitting the wheel for some reason. Is it suppose to be incredibly difficult to get it off/back on the splines? Oh, and after all that, it isnt straight. Cba to do it again yet.

How it should be..

IMG_6151.JPG

'Straight..'
IMG_6152.JPG

My bay, from..

IMG_6145.JPG

To.. (I know coolant is a bit low :( )

IMG_6148.JPG

IMG_6149.JPG

However, removing the airbox uncovered this oil leak. Any ideas?

IMG_6146.JPG

Thanks to @MarcR™ for the battery cover, @imprezaworks for the filter, and @dave78 for donating the spare steering wheel.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I know it'll be early days but found any advantages from changing the filter from the panel filter to fattys?

Thinking about doing the same with mine and getting one of the battery covers in the 2nd GB.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Fatty all day long

I've got a K&N panel filter at the moment in the standard air box as it was in there when I bought the car. Does it actually make that much difference to the sound? Understand there's not many gains to be made in terms of performance.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Standard filter noise is zero. You would notice the difference immediately. Suprised you haven't got that set up tbh. The noise is great :)

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Standard filter noise is zero. You would notice the difference immediately. Suprised you haven't got that set up tbh. The noise is great :smile:

@leeds2592 sounds standard low down the revs but as soon as you get above 3.5k revs or so it sounds brilliant, definitely worth the £30 or so.

Thanks guys. Something else to go on my never ending list!

RB Clio 182
Are you sure your wheels are straight? If you look ill guarantee that your wheels are slightly facing right. You cant put the wheel on wrong.

dan's cast offs.
epic fail on the wheel...have fun getting it back off:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
i did one that had been put on cockeyed, nightmare to get it back off. if you look there are three thick splines to locate the wheel straight. don't bother disconnecting the battery to unplug the airbag.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
epic fail on the wheel...have fun getting it back off:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
i did one that had been put on cockeyed, nightmare to get it back off. if you look there are three thick splines to locate the wheel straight. don't bother disconnecting the battery to unplug the airbag.

I struggled to get it off in the first place, had to hit a piece of wood behind the wheel for bloody ages. Was extremely hard getting it on too. Cant wait to remove it...

How come not disconnecting the airbag? Also.. regarding the 3splines, is it obvious how they locate it?

dan's cast offs.
three splines are easy to spot when you look for them. wheel should come loose with a swift bang to each side so could of been on cockeyed to begin with.

i'e never bothered disconnecting the battery and never had a problem, plenty of people have said about how they always disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to let capacitors discharge yet when questioned not come across a single one who earths themselves to the vehicle. got more chance of setting one off with static.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
three splines are easy to spot when you look for them. wheel should come loose with a swift bang to each side so could of been on cockeyed to begin with.

i'e never bothered disconnecting the battery and never had a problem, plenty of people have said about how they always disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to let capacitors discharge yet when questioned not come across a single one who earths themselves to the vehicle. got more chance of setting one off with static.

Cheers mate, will give it a go at the weekend.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Isn't that exactly where the gearbox refill/overflow is? So could just be oil from when it was filled? Mine is the same there.

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Need a hand at all doing the wheel mate? Just shout if so.

Can't fathom how you have managed to end up with it like that though, as the steering wheel splines have a slight groove at 12 'o' clock so it can only go on one way. Unless by smashing it on you have managed to somehow do without the groove 😂 I recently took my Snappy wheel off and refitted it same day (wrong boss arrived for aftermarket wheel but only noticed after taking wheel off) and it only required a bit of forceful wiggling to get it off/back on!

But yeah give us a shout if you want a hand.

@leeds2592 sounds standard low down the revs but as soon as you get above 3.5k revs or so it sounds brilliant, definitely worth the £30 or so.
Thanks guys. Something else to go on my never ending list!

Interesting to know, I'd installed a K&N panel filter as I didn't believe the hype but I'd love to hear how moving from the K&N panel filter to a fatty's works for you @leeds2592 .

Probably something I'll find myself doing at some point too.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Need a hand at all doing the wheel mate? Just shout if so.

Can't fathom how you have managed to end up with it like that though, as the steering wheel splines have a slight groove at 12 'o' clock so it can only go on one way. Unless by smashing it on you have managed to somehow do without the groove 😂 I recently took my Snappy wheel off and refitted it same day (wrong boss arrived for aftermarket wheel but only noticed after taking wheel off) and it only required a bit of forceful wiggling to get it off/back on!

But yeah give us a shout if you want a hand.

Haha ive not a clue mate. It was seriously difficult to get off and put back on, so im wondering if it had been put on wrong in the past. I'll try again at the weekend mate and ill give you a message if I somehow fail again!!

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Yep that is how it should be mate, that bigger centre spline at the top is the groove I was talking about which can only go on one way.

Glad you got it sorted.