ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

drove a Clio today.........

mk5 VDUB polo
wasn't overly impressed, which is a shame as i've wanted one for ages. was a test drive at a dealers and the car just felt dull and unresponsive. the gearbox was all wobbly and the cluch was rock hard.

its the first time i've driven a clio. it was an 05 1.2 dynamique.

is this just 'renaultness' or a bad example?

RB 182 Cup
my gear box feels nice and tight, clutches are hard though compared to all the other cars ive driven.

Mazda MX5 1.8
gear stick being wobbly is usual but can be fixed..... clutch shouldnt be that hard? cant say ive noticed mine being hard at all. then again i cant stand cars with pedals u can barely feel under ur foot

havent drove a 1.2 so cant comment on the power.......

Audi TT 3.2 V6
wasn't overly impressed, which is a shame as i've wanted one for ages. was a test drive at a dealers and the car just felt dull and unresponsive. the gearbox was all wobbly and the cluch was rock hard.

its the first time i've driven a clio. it was an 05 1.2 dynamique.

is this just 'renaultness' or a bad example?

the unresponsivness depends what your previous car was i guess. if your coming from a 1.8 to a 1.2 its bount to feel dull, but as far as 1.2s go id say the clios are prob the nippiest of the lot tbh

RB 182 Cup
its werid becuase some days it will pick up under 3k quite nicely, some days you have to wait to get over 3kish for it to start really going

The gearbox is shite, I had a Polo before and the gearbox on that was alot tighter and more precise. I hate the change on my Clio. The clutch is heavy compared to similar cars, but at least I will be used to it when I get a lambo Diablo lol! I would prefer a heavier clutch than an overly light one like a Corsa.

Breaking A 172 Replica
I find my clio to be the nicest to drive when compared to my friends' yaris, corsa, MK2 PH1 clio, and focus.

The gearstick doesn't feel precise as say the focus but I prefer this. The handling is better but the steering can sometimes lack feel. As for the power I think it is by far the quickest 1.2. Tbh I do drive mine hard, rarely does it experience anything under 3k rpm and most of the time between 4 and 5k.

The pedals are quite heavy I guess but I think this is a good thing as well.

I think it will just take getting used to.

Sam

mk5 VDUB polo
i had my polo written off and i loved the way it drove. maybe thats what i'm used to?

i think im more than likely going to buy one with my insurance pay out so guess i'll have to get used to it lol.

and all 3 cars i've owned/driven have been 1.0's and it was a test drive with a dealer so i couldnt exactly hammer it lol

Breaking A 172 Replica
You will get used to it I promise.

The polo is awful to drive so it can't be any worse than that.

Compared to the polo as well the clio will be lighter when the bits start to fall off ;)

Sam

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
i liked the gearbox in the 1.2 16v dynamique, dead easy to use, but i agree about the 'unresponsive' comment, felt like i had to accelerate loads for it to move! i wouldnt have one, made my 1.3 ka feel nippier anyway.
dont think the clutch was heavy, ive driven 2 mk1 172's and the clutches in them were VERY heavy! but the clutch on my bfs 182 isnt half as heavy as the 172's

Mini Cooper S sport
I had a 1.4 Clio as a courtesy car once, it felt HORRIBLE to drive. Tinny-sounding engine and spongy brakes as well.

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
the brakes in the 1.2 dynamique were super responsive! just a tiny touch and they were so sharp, i couldnt get used to them since i drive a ka with brakes that only work once pressed fully down (haha), the 182 brakes arent half as sharp as the dynamique imo, but perhaps its just this car? i dunno

the brakes in the 1.2 dynamique were super responsive! just a tiny touch and they were so sharp, i couldnt get used to them since i drive a ka with brakes that only work once pressed fully down (haha), the 182 brakes arent half as sharp as the dynamique imo, but perhaps its just this car? i dunno

The brakes in the 1.2 16v I learnt in were really sensitive and overly sharp, but in my own 1.2 16v their less so, having said that I probably need new pads.

RB 182 Cup
mine were really sensitive when i first started driving it but used to them now, but fade so quick :(