ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E85 3.0 Z4 Roadster Project

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well, it's been a bad week for the z4, like, very bad.

First, I failed my MOT on a bottom balljoint, not bad eh? Well, on the zed, that means whole lower arm, if you replace the arm, you'd be mad to not replace the "lollipop" bush it sits in. Then, being a suspension component, I should probably replace both, right?

So, being one for quality, I've gone for Meyle HD with their four year guarantee, toodles £190. Fitting Saturday all being well.

Then, tonight, I got back to the car after leaving it somewhere, and decided it looked like epic weather for a drive home with the top down and a cigarette. It was so cold the roof had massive trouble retracting, then wouldn't come back up. I've done it manually, but I now need to wait for the sun tomorrow and to see if it works, if not, that was a damn expensive cigarette.

Chances are I can remove the motor, de-fur, and get it going, but you're talking 8+ hours.

Wonderful.

Anyhow, I missed all this, so:

Where's the two post lift on page 43 mate?

It belongs to the father of Sash. Useful eh?

I do like the Z4's however I've always felt they were under powered (Obviously not the ZM).

I wouldn't say 236/250-odd horses in a 1240kg car is under powered? The M is obviously far quicker, but it's a lot more to run.

Also, on the subject of private plates... Your name can be had (I use the term loosely) fairly cheap. - PM

I saw your PM and totally forgot about it mate, thanks! I may have that.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I did a 2.8 Z3 today and I must say, I friggin loved driving it! I can see why you love yours so much Bobert.

Ooooofftttt, hope the roof motor hasn't gone. Not a fun job.

Just done my roof in I1 ready for the winter, currently eyeing up winter tyres too.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

As above, time you gave up Robalob! Fingers crossed about the roof... makes me think about the Z4MC over the R?!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Roof motors are quite common to go on these aren't they? I seems to remember something about water getting to them?

Fingers crossed its not..

Correct, if the roof drain holes clog, it floods the motor and they go bang. Some are salvagable if you de-fur the motors as Rob says.

Just means you have to rod the drains every now and then to check they are clear.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well I thought I'd been doing OK with the drains but obvs not, it's dead. Dead as a f**king dead thing.

I'll strip the roof out and clean the motor up, there's no way it's proper f**ked as it's worked for ages faultlessly. It doesn't even look too difficult to remove, I'm just not in the correct frame of mind. Maybe a job for the summer.

I did a 2.8 Z3 today and I must say, I friggin loved driving it! I can see why you love yours so much Bobert.

Feel free to have a go this weekend, as long as you don't want the top down...

As above, time you gave up Robalob! Fingers crossed about the roof... makes me think about the Z4MC over the R?!

I wouldn't worry, I don't know if common is the right word, and the facelifts are even less common due to a re-design.

Range Rover Sport
Sorry maybe under powered maybe the wrong word, for me the boxster s always felt like it had a little more and I'm sure they are to rival one another.

That's taking nothing away from the Z4, they are a stunning car. In fact a lot of car for the money these days. I've been thing about selling the 'M' in order for one of these but would be after Xmas.

Lovely looking car you have!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Sorry maybe under powered maybe the wrong word, for me the boxster s always felt like it had a little more and I'm sure they are to rival one another.

That's taking nothing away from the Z4, they are a stunning car. In fact a lot of car for the money these days. I've been thing about selling the 'M' in order for one of these but would be after Xmas.

Lovely looking car you have!

Is it fair to compare a Boxster S with a 'normal' Z4 though? Surely the S should be compared to the M.

Range Rover Sport
Is it fair to compare a Boxster S with a 'normal' Z4 though? Surely the S should be compared to the M.

It's strange as I feel the 'S' sits nicely in between the 3.0 and 'M' version of the Z4. ( 3.2 S 280bhp ish ) so in my opinion the S vs 3.0 is about right.

I'd say the 'M' is more against the Cayman? Could be wrong though...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I know exactly what you chaps mean, for me, z4 vs z4m, it'll always be z4, well for a fair while anyway.

The running costs between two quite similar cars is massively different and I personally don't think the extra power and looks of the //M are worth it (for me).

If I did 4k a year or something, I'd probably have the //M in a heartbeat. I actually want a boxster S next I think, and they may be sooner than anticipated if I set fire to this one like I feel like doing. :evil:

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
It's strange as I feel the 'S' sits nicely in between the 3.0 and 'M' version of the Z4. ( 3.2 S 280bhp ish ) so in my opinion the S vs 3.0 is about right.

I'd say the 'M' is more against the Cayman? Could be wrong though...

How when the Cayman S has the same engine as the boxster?

I agree Rob, ///M Tax = 3x the running costs for only a 20% jump in outright performance. Even my man maths struggles with that logic when it's your daily.

Sorry to hear about the roof. That's a f**ker... They are getting to that age I guess where more and more will start to go.

At least you use yours, I'd rather that than someone who gets their top off (OH ERR MRS!!) once a year. So hopefully it's not beyond salvage.

Range Rover Sport
How when the Cayman S has the same engine as the boxster?

Cayman S has a 3.4 litre compared to the Boxster S 3.2.

Also the feel the cayman gives compared to the boxster is night and day. The cayman feels so much poised and ready to go where the boxster can feel a little lazy sub 5000rpm.

Either way like I said I think the S sits nicely between the 3.0 and M version of the Z4. Cayman May edge the M in most ways depending on your view but in my opinion BMW have always been a slight step behind hence a natural progression from a BMW 'M' is usually to a Porsche.

Anyway back on topic...

Like I say I do fancy a Z4 , as the 'M' just doesn't get used and it's a cost I could cut down on.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well yesterday was interesting.

One bolt on the lower arm was an utter nightmare, the rest were rusted and difficult.

Both lower arms replaced and no more knocking at all, good result, but I really do ache today :eek: going soft clearly.

Going to tackle the roof in coming weeks, see if I can get the existing one working, if not I'll fork out for a new one in the spring. Not the end of the world and will be a plus when I sell on.

I'll give it a bucket of suds tomorrow and get it down the MOT station to have the lower arms checked and passed. Then I'm all set for winter.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Cayman S has a 3.4 litre compared to the Boxster S 3.2.

Also the feel the cayman gives compared to the boxster is night and day. The cayman feels so much poised and ready to go where the boxster can feel a little lazy sub 5000rpm.

Either way like I said I think the S sits nicely between the 3.0 and M version of the Z4. Cayman May edge the M in most ways depending on your view but in my opinion BMW have always been a slight step behind hence a natural progression from a BMW 'M' is usually to a Porsche.

Anyway back on topic...

Like I say I do fancy a Z4 , as the 'M' just doesn't get used and it's a cost I could cut down on.

After the Cayman was released all Boxster S' shared the 3.4 motor.

The 3.2 and 3.4 feel identical.

Range Rover Sport
After the Cayman was released all Boxster S' shared the 3.4 motor.

The 3.2 and 3.4 feel identical.

But we were comparing the OP's car so only fair we compared to a 03 boxster.

Clearly you've not drove either as they are night and day handling!

If we went from all dates why not add a F40 while we're at it!

Range Rover Sport
The Cayman didn't exist in 03.....

I've owned both...

Next.

But clearly your partner drove both. Boxster handles well but the Cayman is much more poised on the road and feels more connected.

If you read I compared the Cayman against the Z4M which was for sale before and during the Cayman.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
But clearly your partner drove both. Boxster handles well but the Cayman is much more poised on the road and feels more connected.

If you read I compared the Cayman against the Z4M which was for sale before and during the Cayman.

If you read I compared the Boxster to the aforementioned Cayman Z4M combo.

We really need to have an entrance exam on here. Cretins are flowing in everywhere.