ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E85 3.0 Z4 Roadster Project

Range Rover Sport
If you read I compared the Boxster to the aforementioned Cayman Z4M combo.

We really need to have an entrance exam on here. Cretins are flowing in everywhere.

Clearly your Witt outweighs your car knowledge or arguably driving style.

After owning a few Boxsters in various trim/packages the Cayman is a a totally different drive to the Boxster. Maybe due to the roof maybe down to the stance but for some reason the Cayman basically out handles the boxster 9/10 times.

Like I say I'd put the cars in this order.

Z4 3.0
Boxster S
Z4 M
Cayman S

As I've already stated BMW always seem to be that little step behind ( I'm a current BMW owner ) but can honestly say the natural progression is to Porsche.

So to get back into topic yes I'd compare the Z4 to the Boxster S in my view it's one or the other.

Getting back on topic, how is the roof coming along? You considering selling the Z4 for a Boxster?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well, now you two have put your handbags down.

Both lower arms and new lollipop bushes fitted this weekend, maybe in two weeks or so I'll have the roof off and hopefully get the old motor running and sealed up. Shouldn't be too bad of a job, especially with a few hands on deck.

As for selling, I'll see how I feel in the spring.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
If you need a hand with the roof Rob I'll be in London a fair bit once I'm back from China.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
No dramas, I'll in no way try to get you to buy a cayman, or a Boxster in either 3.2 or 3.4 guise.

Listerine & Poledo
Both lower arms and new lollipop bushes fitted this weekend, maybe in two weeks or so I'll have the roof off and hopefully get the old motor running and sealed up. Shouldn't be too bad of a job, especially with a few hands on deck.

got your back there fella.

Still good for diagnosing my floaty front-end?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Herrow SamuelWikiman

The other motor is on hold until after Christmas, current owner had some personal circumstances bring things to a halt. It's no issue.

Just about to buy some winter tyres and get the style 32's back on :D

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Magical powers my friend ;)

But yeah, hopefully I'll have a facelift Si in the new year, if I don't I'm really quite enjoying my car at the moment so I'm not too fussed :) All things like winter wheels are obvs transferrable.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Oh Hai,

096927D2-56B8-418C-88C7-8EFEFE2376F0_zpsyy6qmflc.jpg

Should be collecting them tonight and tyres and on the car tomorrow :-D

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The thing is with dark wheels, you always need tyre shine.

They look good though mate!

100% agree, but it was cold, and I'd just lugged around 8 wheels and tyres, far too worn out for that stuff

Your M ones look so much better! but yeah, ok for winter wheels.

I agree, the car does feel like a rocket ship and 10x better handling wise on the lighter and smaller 17's.

The rears look awesome. Love a good meaty tyre.

Cheers mate, the meaty tyres make motorway driving bloody lovely too.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers chaps, if I could be bothered I'd pop out now, tyre shine and take some decent photos, but honestly, I canny be bothered. It must be said though, 17's are fun. Had the back end all squiffy earlier and it feels like in gear pull is much better due to wheel weight.

All in all the vred winter tyres seems awesome, it definitely inspires confidence in cooler conditions.

BMW Z4
Just read through this thread.

Nice car, i got an 03 Z4 2.5 in June this year and loving it. What is the Z4 forum you are on?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
OK,

So a bit more updating.

Before fitting the winter wheels, I went to big unit with Bobby J and removed the roof, refurbed the motor, refitted it all:

11276904283_1f3fda74ed_c.jpg

Untitled by TheEvilGiraffe, on Flickr

A quick video of this success:

th_IMG_4856_zps91c0fb4d.jpg

Then we popped up again, gave the car a full service this time.. for the first time in my ownership I changed the pollen filter :eek: Lazy I know..

11735621414_b3f43d2857_c.jpg

Synchronised Servicing by TheEvilGiraffe, on Flickr

This made two big differences:

1) it was no longer full of hair, bird feathers and leaves :dead:
2) I also noticed the air intake duct had been knocked slightly off course, so I straightened that up, the blowers now seem to have about 2x the power (so I have to keep putting it on half my "usual" power) and it seems about 20% hotter on hot. The car now has the ability to burn my feet badly through my shoes if I forget to turn it down. :D

Couple of big unit pics (Liberated from Bobby J), as you can see, Scrooge popped down too, but for once was more spectating than anything :eek:

11734933545_57a3042f11_c.jpg

The New Unit by TheEvilGiraffe, on Flickr

11735196943_6f1915f11d_c.jpg

The New Unit by TheEvilGiraffe, on Flickr

Then, yesterday I popped to Croydon to drop a part off to a z4 forum member that I forgot to post (air vent) as I'd replaced mine with cupholders (this is the best upgrade ever and normally costs a bloody fortune on the z4) I found them on a breaker in Scotland on the off chance. Not a big deal but with the work miles I'm doing at the moment, OMG I needed them.

ff1ccf0d-01fe-464b-a8b2-946f9f7b4b69_zpsa020e9a3.jpg

He was returning his car to standard, and whilst there I noticed he had a pretty nice re-trimmed padded steering wheel, I contacted him when I got him and just asked if he fancied swapping for my standard one and a little cash, I was proper surprised to get a yes. So again this morning i popped to Croydon (roof down motoring on a cold sunny morning FTW).

Standard:

9a.jpg

Re-trimmed (chunkier and padded with perforated leather):

e6f589bc-2913-45ec-af2e-3b02e6114e44_zpsee5fcb21.jpg

Far nicer to drive with, similar to the //M wheel but FAR cheaper, and looks pretty too.

Last edited:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Love the new thick wheel! Bargain too. Can really see the difference!

I was happy to watch other people for once lol

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Love the new thick wheel! Bargain too. Can really see the difference!

I was happy to watch other people for once lol

There was an actual smile on your face watching Bobby J struggle re-fitting his undertray. PMSL

That wheel is lovely Rob.

The unit is feckin awesome!!!!

Cheers mate, it's amazing what difference a wheel makes, it makes it feel like a newer car with the lovely padded leather.

As for the unit, I'll arrange a mini meet with 10 of us or so :)

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
There was an actual smile on your face watching Bobby J struggle re-fitting his undertray. PMSL

Cheers mate, it's amazing what difference a wheel makes, it makes it feel like a newer car with the lovely padded leather.

As for the unit, I'll arrange a mini meet with 10 of us or so :)

Sweet mate sounds good! :)

3 Series touring
Car looks awesome Rob. Wheel is nice and luxury - any idea how much a re-trim like that would cost?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Car looks awesome Rob. Wheel is nice and luxury - any idea how much a re-trim like that would cost?

Cheers mate, I drove past your house yesterday and wondered if you still lived around here.

You can get a re-trim like this done for £120, sometimes he has an exchange wheel, sometimes you have to take yours off, but I have a spare z4 wheel that should bolt on to an e36 (if that's what you have now? no thread on it?!)

If you're still local, feel free to have a proper look at the wheel, the quality is beyond amazing tbh, and it just feels so much better.

Wheel looks top mate!

Cheers Wickson. Probably see you next weekend if you're not busy?

3 Series touring
Up at uni in Manchester at the moment, e36 is a project I've been helping my brother on when I'm back. Lack of thread has mainly been because we're so unsure of its future!! Bought it with a blown HG, but the head was cracked and it's been slow on progress. I'll write it up once it's back to full health!

Probably going to stay away from stripping it out etc as it's in such good condition (apart from the engine of course ;-) )