ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eds ph1 172

ph1 track weapon
So just 12 weeks after I sold my 172 cup, i'm back with a ph1, as I just couldnt stay away from the handling and pure fun that only a clio can provide!

Having seen Danny172 selling said car on here, it ticked all the boxes of what i was after. Coilovers, exhaust and nice low miles for the year :D
Many conversations ensued, with me eventually making the 180 mile drive to Cornwall to see/collect the car yesterday morning.
Everything was as described, tonnes of receipts, and a VERY well looked after car, a credit to Danny!

Coming home i was giggling like a kid with every roundabout i came to becoming a game, and got back with a huge beaming smile on my face!

So for a quick spec:
3 owners
FSH
Gaz coilovers (height and damping adjustable) set up by Mark Fish (currently set a little too hard though so need to address that)
Ktec stealth and decat
ITG panel filter
Brembo HCs and Ferodo DS2500s

As a couple of people will know having spoken to me at FCS, I have some interesting plans for the car, that will all be brought to light in the near future. All can be reversed if I decide that i dont like them too. So over the coming months there should be a few changes coming

So for a few pics:

IMG_7326.jpg

IMG_7328.jpg

IMG_7329.jpg

IMG_7330.jpg

Just a few small issues to sort in the short term:
- Both front and rear towing eye screw points seem to be rusty, as was unable to screw the eye into either today! seems a bit odd, so will look into it
- rear exhaust hanger cant take the weight of the ktec, so it knocks. need to address that
- front top mounts are squeaking/creaking so wil either replace with standards or, the more likely option, solid top mounts
- play with the damping a little to try and sort the understeer out a bit

Had a couple of sessions on track today at FCS and the car worked well. car ran spot on and managed to run rings round most of the saxos i ended up on track with too, so hopefully with a little more tweaking and some weight loss it should be fairly formidable :D

More updates coming soon!

ph1 track weapon
Re: Eds ph1 172 - The soon to be controversial project!

Will involve some colour changing here and there. Something a little out of the box.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

loving ph1's at the moment, if I didn't own a ph2 I reckon I'd be going down the ph1 route, maybe next time!

ph1 track weapon

Joey - Yeah I was quite suprised too! Had a few people come up to me to talk about it at FCS too.

got a few small parking dents around it, so gonna get them tidied up and crack out the machine polisher on it!

Iceberg Ph1

Cracking car you got there fella, I know Dan looked after that car. Along with TheEvilGiraffe cleaning his own and Dans all the time no doubt. Good luck with the project, will be keeping an eye on this.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Nice to meet you yesterday mate, and it's a cracking little car, so I hope you make it even better.

Glad your enjoying the car already mate, i was really sad to see it go :(

Looking forward to seeing some of the updates you have planned :D

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup

That didn't take long to get back in a Clio, Car looks nice as well, will be keeping an eye on this thread for updates.

And no.... Im not selling them ;)

ph1 track weapon

Will be going one better than the bimarcos J I reckon.

Iff to get silvervisions, clear side repeaters and some paint for the inlet plenum this evening

Yozza sticker on the bonnet's come off too (I hate badges/stickers!)

Plus gonna try to borrow a machine polisher for a few days to see if I can get a little more shine from the paint :)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup

Will be going one better than the bimarcos J I reckon.

Oooo Recaros (Proper ones not Trendlines) ?

Will be keeping any eye open for updates :star:

ph1 track weapon

Purchases made today! couldnt find any silvatecs, and gonna whack a wanted post up for the clear side repeaters

not giving much away with these:
IMG_7333.jpg

IMG_7335.jpg

ph1 track weapon

small update.
Wanted to tidy up the mirrors as they had a few marks and stonechips. Done by myself in the garden, using a flowerpot and a towel to create my ghetto spraybooth. theyre far from perfect tbh, but from a distance they look pretty good. will get them done properly eventually

IMG_7337.jpg

IMG_7338.jpg

ph1 track weapon

need some opinions please :)

got the ph1 rear lights on, but also have a set of ph2 ones sitting in the garage and cant decide which to go for?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Looks fine mate. What's going to be controversial? :eek:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

Phs 2 lights man, so much fresher

ph1 track weapon

Gally, its gonna have a few different changes soon. just gotta save for them first!

Cookson, think i'm swaying towards the ph2s too

ph1 track weapon

Couple more purchases in the form of some clear side repeaters and a few cleaning bits from i4detailing.

Also cleaned the arches and underside of the mountain of mud that was under there. was so much that i'm sure my 0-60 time will have improved now!

Maybe a 172 Cup..

Looking good Ed! Phase 2 lights, phase 1 bumper ftw!! Really need to sort me a stealth exhaust. Where you got repeaters from ed? Genuine Renault?

ph1 track weapon

ummm repeaters are the ebay ones i think. bought them off a user on here, just need to track down some bulbs for them :)

Maybe a 172 Cup..

ummm repeaters are the ebay ones i think. bought them off a user on here, just need to track down some bulbs for them :)

Heard ebay ones were a s**t fit on phs1's ed. But if you're telling me different, will be investing..;)

ph1 track weapon

dont know yet bud. wont receive em for a couple of days yet

ph1 track weapon

Right, turns out the side repeaters i bought werent the ones i was after :( so need to find the correct ones!

Raised the rear about 10mm yesterday, a car was catching on anything and everything (i have a steep driveway and have to travel over speedbumps daily) and i dont think the stupidly low rear was doing my handling much good.

Initial impressions are that it looks a bit better, as theres no longer reverse rake, and i assume it'll handle a bit better when i get a chance to take it for a run

Also was getting a bit bored of the drone of the exhaust with no rear interior, so have put that back in now :)

got a long-term idea for the car, and also need to do a few service parts - top mounts, rear wheel bearings, front pads ( possibly) oil/filter, plugs/leads, brake fluid and possibly braided lines.

gonna get these bits out the way then start saving for the future plans :)

ph1 track weapon

ph2s are for sale now anyways, so no need to worry.

need to sort the few dents on the car out and give her a good machine polish too

Clio RS1

very nice car mate !

GAZ coilover look is amazing ! Did you put wheel spacers on front and rear ? If yes what lenght you choose ?

ph1 track weapon

rs1-172 nope no spacers. want something with a wider track though, dont like the tucked look. have had to raise it to stop myself from bottoming out everywhere, and handling has improved a little

danz - its getting a full clean/detail over the coming few days, so i'll be documenting that :D

Also got some of the silver interior door handles coming, need to spray the rear wiper bit (the semicircle in the window) as its suffered a little, tidy up the callipers with some silver paint, change plugs, top mounts, get the caked on brake dust off the wheels, and a few other little bits and pieces! then maybe i'll throw a few quid on some modifications

ph1 track weapon

Need some opinions from people please :)

Am wanting to get some pro-race 1.2s, and am undecided between 15s ad 16s. will 16s look too big on a ph1?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Personally, i think 16s look better on the clio :cool: The only reason i have 15s as spares is that the tyres are cheaper for track use...

ph1 track weapon

plans are to do a few trackdays, hence worrying about the 16s, but think i may well go for them :)

just need to free up the coilovers now!

330i. E30 Touring.

Pro Races on that would look awesome.

ph1 track weapon

few pics now that its clean. did all the door shuts, wheels off, arches done etc etc, finished off with AG EGP

Before:
IMG_7511.gif

IMG_7512.jpg

IMG_7513.jpg

After:
IMG_7519.jpg

IMG_7520.jpg

IMG_7521.jpg

IMG_7524.gif

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

looking well

ph1 track weapon

Right, a few updates.

All service bits acquired, so will get on and do everything over the next week or so :)

Car is also going into X-Sport to have the coilovers adjusted and checked, as the rear end handling seems way way off!

Also just booked in for a morning session at Brands Hatch later in the month :) so need to get on and make sure everythings up to scratch and ready to go!

Clio RS1

Can you tell me how much you are lowered on the front and on the rear ? I've got the same coilovers than you and the look (especially on the rear) is stunning ! I'd like to do the same with my RS1