ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mounts, exhaust mounts, constant knocking front end ??

Hi all yes me again needing advice !
Right I've just had new poly bushes all round, dogbone etc but I've got a shocking exhaust knock. I've had rear hangers checked etc but it's definately coming from centre / front end. There is no play in the system that I can tell and all seems nicely locked down. The centre mount seems ok but will update to red renault one but what else could it be ? It's driving me crazy

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Have you tried rocking the engine with your hand to see if there's any movement?
If there's any play in the mounts you should be able to move it a bit and possibly hear the knock.

Are you sure it's not your suspension top mounts?
They can knock like a b*tch.

Have you tried rocking the engine with your hand to see if there's any movement?
If there's any play in the mounts you should be able to move it a bit and possibly hear the knock.

Are you sure it's not your suspension top mounts?
They can knock like a b*tch.

Top mounts were checked matey and all was fine apparently

2003 Clio 172
Read in another thread that knocking can be due to the engine have moved slightly closer to the firewall.

Loosen the mount on the driver side and pry the engine away from the firewall and retighten the mount.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
It does sound like the manifold knocking,
loosening the engine mount bolts and pulling the engine forwards is a good shout,
it's worth trying it before you spend anymore money on garage time.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Next thing is to loosen off the 4 engine mount bolts and try pulling the engine forward,
if that doesn't fix the knock then you might have to start looking elsewhere.

renault clio 197
Mines doing the same..new mounts are on my list but I'm debating uprated one but the price is putting me off

Mines doing the same..new mounts are on my list but I'm debating uprated one but the price is putting me off

I decided against uprated purely and simple due to possible vibration. Mines fully poly bushed on suspension and dog bone plus dropped on coilovers so pretty hard as it is and just didn't want to risk making it even worse

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Everything's polybushed on mine and my engine mounts are K-Tec/Vibratechnics,
I got absolutely no extra vibration from any of them at all.

renault clio 197
I decided against uprated purely and simple due to possible vibration. Mines fully poly bushed on suspension and dog bone plus dropped on coilovers so pretty hard as it is and just didn't want to risk making it even worse
Yea I understand that just looking to get as good as a feel for the drive as possible atm

Is it a knock when changing gear and accelerating?

I recently had this and tried checking everything. Engine mounts, top mounts etc etc. Turned out to be a knackered wheel bearing out of all the things. This was a metallic thud too,

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/car-pulling-when-accelerating-clunking-when-changing-gear.759943/

No mate this is a constant knocking when driving generally. Over bumps, turning, braking etc. I'm hoping all new mounts sorts it out but thanks for the heads up !