ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fao itb users

182 Turbo
I'm not saying it is or it isn't, but not a lot beats a clio on 'track', ask most people. We've been to Bedford, Brands, Mallory etc, along with much bigger machinery, and never get passed all day.

Of course I know an Evo, Gt3 etc are quicker down your local by-pass, but on track, they take some beating.

Onviously it also depends a lot on the driver, for instance if you take a skilled driver and put them in both cars then I think you'd see the difference, for example what do you think of the civic type R FN2 ? I always thought they looked like dogs**t and probably handle quite bad. However stig done a faster lap time in that than he did the clio 182 both in dry conditions.
Not to mention things like the mk5 golf gti mk5 r32 all done considerably faster lap times and this is in dry conditions with the same very skilled driver driving them.
not to mention you got the evo 8 fq400 in at 7 seconds quicker than the 182, if you are telling me you've personally beat Evo's round track I believe you , because you are a very skilled driver I've seen your videos and stuff, but that doesn't mean the guy you beat had the same skill level as you, so I think the top gear test lap times are good to look upon because you got different cars given to the same driver so it's a fair comparison to see which ones are actually quicker round a track

Cup In bits
Top gear is no real comparison I'm afraid mate, conditions play a big part on that track as its used for aeroplanes that leave behind jet fuel on the runway which is like oil. All these cars tested are on standard rubber, your examples of evo v 182 isn't a good one either. Evo will have road legal slicks and the Clio Michelin pilots I believe on heavy 16" wheels. Evo's suspension is much better out of the box than a Clio, lets face it, Clio's are boats when standard. Put uprated suspension on both cars, better tyres and 15" wheels on the Clio like almost every track Clio has and the evo will be beaten IMO.

Cup In bits
Lol, splitting hairs ain't it. For Aydon, watch track day videos with a half decent driver (not many on CS IMO) and you'll see clio's hold there own on track.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There is more to enjoying a car on track than laptimes.
If you want to go for fast laptimes though, by a very lightweight kitcar.

Cup In bits
Yeah my personal idea of fun on a track is pushing that certain car, not chasing lap times but knowing the car can't do much more. I can go for a Sunday drive on the road. Sounds di**ish to say it but there are loads of rubbish video's on here. A recent good one on here was a guy at Cadwell with his friend driving his car, can't find it know, he was a good driver.

182 Turbo
Top gear is no real comparison I'm afraid mate, conditions play a big part on that track as its used for aeroplanes that leave behind jet fuel on the runway which is like oil. All these cars tested are on standard rubber, your examples of evo v 182 isn't a good one either. Evo will have road legal slicks and the Clio Michelin pilots I believe on heavy 16" wheels. Evo's suspension is much better out of the box than a Clio, lets face it, Clio's are boats when standard. Put uprated suspension on both cars, better tyres and 15" wheels on the Clio like almost every track Clio has and the evo will be beaten IMO.

Agreed mate, there are so many factors to racing its unbelievable. All I was saying is top gear is probably a better comparison than on here when one person claims they're clio is an evo killer which is an all too common phrase but no real substance.
However give one driver different cars is a better comparison. Tony is saying he's been to Bedford and Malory and beat Evo's and stuff, but not forgetting Bedford is a track that's open to public, you've got people in Evo's that have never even driven on a track before, and Tony who has a lot of racing experience. For instance I could drive my clio round a track and give my nan a Ferrari 458 and I'm sure I could go round quicker than her, but I definatly wouldn't make claims that my clio is a faster track car.

Alot.
just off the top of my head,

various spec's of 205 gti's inc 8v turbo's
z20let corsa's
older model imprezza's
106 gti on jenveys
megane 225
starlet Gt turbo's

too many to mention.

I'm sorry but is this serious?
106 gti on jenveys?? I run the 106 owners club and 3 of my mates had throttle bodied 106's. I was faster round the ring in a STANDARD 172 cup..
Megane - nope.
z20let corsa and turbo 205 hardly cheap to build and not as reliable
starlet - maybe if tuned

Seriously on the renaultsport days I've done over the last 2 years you'd need a lot more than a standard megane 225 to beat a bodied 172 round track. Even the megane 250 I drove was only just as quick.

I'm not saying it is or it isn't, but not a lot beats a clio on 'track', ask most people. We've been to Bedford, Brands, Mallory etc, along with much bigger machinery, and never get passed all day.

Of course I know an Evo, Gt3 etc are quicker down your local by-pass, but on track, they take some beating.

Yep

You've got to remember a 250-300bhp evo loses a ton of power through the 4wd system. They're quick off the line but heavy and underpowered in a battle against a 200bhp stripped out clio 172.

It's seriously suprising how fast a track car a bodied 172 makes. It's the only reason I still have it because I was going to buy a TME Evo 6 until I went out against one at Brands Hatch and pushed it around lol

182 Turbo
I'm sorry but is this serious?
106 gti on jenveys?? I run the 106 owners club and 3 of my mates had throttle bodied 106's. I was faster round the ring in a STANDARD 172 cup..
Megane - nope.
z20let corsa and turbo 205 hardly cheap to build and not as reliable
starlet - maybe if tuned

Seriously on the renaultsport days I've done over the last 2 years you'd need a lot more than a standard megane 225 to beat a bodied 172 round track. Even the megane 250 I drove was only just as quick.

Yep

You've got to remember a 250-300bhp evo loses a ton of power through the 4wd system. They're quick off the line but heavy and underpowered in a battle against a 200bhp stripped out clio 172.

It's seriously suprising how fast a track car a bodied 172 makes. It's the only reason I still have it because I was going to buy a TME Evo 6 until I went out against one at Brands Hatch and pushed it around lol

there's a 205 gti on eBay right now, infact a couple, way under the 4k budget.
theres a 205 gti with a 306 gti6 lump on webbers pushing 219bhp@850k extremely capable car, that infact is silly bhp per tonne, I'd expect that to be on par with chips turbo phase 1 if not faster. And that's for something silly like £2,200 and IMO 205 gti's handle better than clio's. and easily just as reliable.
and a stripped 106 gti on jenveyse would be aroud 175bhp? And 106's will always weigh less than a clio , and handle quite well.
and as for Evo's being underpowered, not really, maybe if they are running 250bhp but I don't know one evo owner is running at that sort of power. Not to mention they are a 2.0ltr engine being the less weight bracket and an engine and box that can see 400bhp without being forged.

and z20let'ing a corsa , and 8v turbo'ing a 205gti will cost about the same as it did for you to body your engine, as seen as those cars are cheaper you actually get a cheaper track car.

im not calling you out, a 172 on bodies is a very good track weapon. But saying "you can't get a faster or better car for under 10k" is a BOLD statement. And a very untrue statement.

And your budgeting 4k is a bit ambitious, £850 for a ph1 and £1500 for a 172 Cup? You would get complete dog of a clio for that sort of money, a well looked after good condition 172 cup is over 2k

Last edited:
  Renault clio 172
To add to what i said last night Just asked my brother and his evo 6 is running 428bhp (with printout to prove) guess that's why he destroys me, that's a lot more then 250-300 which I guess is standard what phil is talking about.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Good news that after you pay high end Ecu money for a middle of the range Ecu that they will then sell you the software on top of that just so you can map it? Flol. Clio people are easily pleased it has to be said.

Cup In bits
First time I have looked at the gen90 ......£1000. There's no benefit to any other ECU other than it connects to standard loom right???Surely you want rid of the standard loom anyway for anything other than a road car

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That is what it is aimed at though. Some people just want the easy fit and no warning lights.
Clio owners seem prepared to be ripped off so they can be lazy. But given the unreliability of the standard loom anyway it's not really worth paying over the odds just to keep it IMHO.

Evo 5 RS
Yeah it's a gems tailored for the Renault loom. People are funny about service lights. Only have to look at members on here.

They're looking to mod their engine and the first thing they ask is "Do the lights stay on the dash?" What a great industry to work in.

HBT 172 Cup
Clio owners seem prepared to be ripped off so they can be lazy. But given the unreliability of the standard loom anyway it's not really worth paying over the odds just to keep it IMHO.

I would hardly call the standard loom unreliable??I'd say the faults with the standard loom are very much overshaowed on this forum by the norm of people using omex's running 4th hand looms made by their grans with tesco value crmp connectors!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would hardly call the standard loom unreliable??I'd say the faults with the standard loom are very much overshaowed on this forum by the norm of people using omex's running 4th hand looms made by their grans with tesco value crmp connectors!

It's quite common to get loom faults, especially the section where it passes over the box.
I agree on the 4th hand homemade looms being even worse though.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
First time I have looked at the gen90 ......£1000. There's no benefit to any other ECU other than it connects to standard loom right???Surely you want rid of the standard loom anyway for anything other than a road car

I don't want to live on this planet anymore

Cup In bits
becuase some people are beyond helping. Already made up their minds so leave them to it

Entitled to my own opinion Dan, £500-600 cheaper and I could see the attraction for some, but well over priced for what it is no?? I can see why you defend certain company's products as your affiliated with them and its part of the way you make money so fair enough. I don't have any allegiances and see products for what they are and in this case is an overpriced product. It's not anything against said company as I have used many times and would recomend for certain things.