ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally got the ///M - Byzanz Metallic BMW E36 M3 Evo Saloon.

100% Dave, the Clio was chuckable and very idiot prove to drive fast. The chassis on this is sublime, it feels so balanced/stable when giving it a little bit of s**t, oh and its rapid as well! lol Eagerly waiting to do a trackday in it tbh as i'd like to be able to learn to drive a rwd car fast. How's your MX going, still got the love?

Cleaning wheels, you've got the detailing bug now then!

Have you used that kit you won at CS Saturday yet?

Lol yeah wanted to get into detailing a bit more, used to love cleaning the Cup before it went how it did.

Still not used that kit I won at CS either, hopefully if the weathers good this weekend I'll have a good cleaning session with the BM.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Just thought i'd add it definately is a better colour in the metal well when in the light anyway ;)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
I'm sure I recognise this car off bmwowner site. Was it Steve who set up the Vanos overhaul service and sold this to buy an e39 M5? If so, he had a project thread for this car and spent quite a lot of money on it.

Mine (Evo coupe) had 178k on it when I got rid of it and it still pulled like a train:) 3rd and 4th gears are epic. You will love it on track, cannot think of much better cars to learn RWD in. I did a drift day at Oulton park on the low grip tracks they have there- good way to push the limit and beyond in relative safety.

Enjoy it!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I'm sure I recognise this car off bmwowner site. Was it Steve who set up the Vanos overhaul service and sold this to buy an e39 M5? If so, he had a project thread for this car and spent quite a lot of money on it.

Mine (Evo coupe) had 178k on it when I got rid of it and it still pulled like a train:) 3rd and 4th gears are epic. You will love it on track, cannot think of much better cars to learn RWD in. I did a drift day at Oulton park on the low grip tracks they have there- good way to push the limit and beyond in relative safety.

Enjoy it!

It says in the second paragraph in Nick's opening post that it belonged to "Mr Vanos" and that 8k was spent on it.

I've only just seen this, really like the colour. Good find

Cheers all :) Hadn't even realised you guys had posted!

So a reasonable sized update!

4/11/11

Popped into BMW and finalised the first of many part orders for the saloon, some of the stuff won’t be fitted until it has had its full exterior repaint done, Anyways the list goes...
M3 rear badge
Pass. Side heated mirror glass (currently got some moody pattern part on there)
Black leather handbrake and gearstick covers
2x heated washer jets with 2x washer valves
Full external door and bumpers plastic side strips (with M3 logo on front door strip)
8L of TWS 10/60 Oil, with new oil filter and air filter.
And then 3 engine bay stickers to replace to peeling ones, these have to be authorised by the guys in Germany believe it or not and will take a few weeks to arrive. As said not too much of a problem as they’ll be fitted again after the repaint.
Total cost - £719.10, prior to discount was £950! Just goes to show that even BMW can give you a cheeky discount if you ask nicely!

05/11/11

So this weekend I eventually got a bit of time to get a few little jobs sorted out, started by removing the horrid HID kit and orange side lights it had on it and replacing them with all new bulbs etc.

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

Then went onto removing the eyesore that was the Simota I/K and changing it to the standard air box and feeds, it’s amazing that people quote these kits make lots of power with them but then others state you lose power! Reading up on the forums about performance parts is a royal pain as there’s so much conflicting information, none the less the kit sold for £130 so I’m happy and the engine bay looks 10x’s better!

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

Also started on changing the tango/orange indicators lights etc as again I wasn’t keen, changed all of them apart from the fronts as the clips for them were broken so will have to get a set of them ordered up!

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

12/11/11

So on Saturday afternoon Sir_Dave/Failsport linked me to a wood interior set that I’d been after, I got the spec list from BMW and one options was a full wood interior set which had been taken out of the car. So I popped up to Northhampton and for £120 collected the full set, some bits are a little rough around the edges but I’ll have these sent away to be restored/reconditioned as BMW’s prices for them were unbelievable! The full kit from BMW was well over a £700, thanks but no thanks I said to the chap as well as some of the parts being discontinued also.

On the way up to Northampton I reset the consumption button to see what it could do, a 170 mile round trip got me this...

IMG_0329.jpg

I was shocked to be honest with you! That was sitting at 80-85 most of the way apart from M1 50mph average speed check, but none the less very happy!
On the Sunday I gave the saloon its first big clean since owning it, fully washed down, clayed, polished, waxed and sealed etc so hopefully that should tide me over into the new year without too much work on it. It probably won’t be driven a lot over the coming month’s dependant on weather due to the salt/crap and trying to keep the rust to a minimum. Unfortunately no pictures as I ran out of light in the end and it was starting to rain, however one beading picture the next day after the rain! Gotta love a bit of
beading! :)

IMG_0338.jpg

That’s about it for the time being, all I need to do now I locate a standard exhaust back box in good condition and standard springs all round and it’s pretty much standard! Then start saving for the repaint and various other external parts that will be fitted post paint.

16/11/11

So the rest of bits eventually arrived at BMW from the big order I had made, surprisingly the parts from Germany didn’t take as long to turn up as first thought by me and the parts chap. Doesn’t look like a lot for the amount paid, however once the car’s repainted with all these new fresh looking parts it should finish the car off nicely.

IMG_0364.jpg

19/11/11

Managed to source some a few more genuine parts off eBay, a standard M3 cat-back exhaust, M3 clear front indicators and a warning triangle.

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

Also fitted the new passenger side heated mirror glass, so much more of an improvement as well as staying in place unlike before. Doesn’t look to of changed much in the pictures but trust me it really has, it’s nice to be able to see out of a mirror properly when driving!

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

26/11/11

So... My first problem with the car. Took to the car out for a little drive as it had been sitting most of this week, as I was driving on the dual carriageway all of a sudden the car seemed to have a mind of its own with regards to revving itself. Managed to get it off the road into a nearby services thankfully, the accelerator pedal had gone slack preventing me from driving the car properly. Had a look in the engine bay to see the obvious problem being the cable, however after playing about with it, it didn’t seem to make a difference as it was still too slack. After my brother came out to have a look also he’d spotted that one of the connector rods that connects the one of the throttle bodies to throttle linkage that controls all of the butterflies had come off. Plugged it back on and hey presto, up and running again! They all looked to have worn over time and being only plastic wasn’t too clever so on Monday I ordered up 3 new ones as well as a new throttle cable from BMW, hopefully have them fitted as soon as the parts come in. Cut knuckles will ensue come fitting time...

29/11/11

Changed the oil and filter on the car as it needed doing, previous owner had put in 10W/40 and when warm it was a little tappy. Once I’d drained the oil from both points, it was clear that one of them hadn’t been opened for a while. Mega dark oil which couldn’t of been good for it at all, none the less the cars lovely a smooth and a lot quieter! Bloody should do for £110 pounds worth of oil!

18/12/11

So not a lot has happened until now, mainly because of the weather and not wanting to get it covered in too much salt and crap from the roads. Fitted the new throttle cable and connector rods to the throttle linkages, what a royal pain in the arse! Kind of knew it wouldn’t be as simple as the previous French s**tboxes I’ve owned but I took my time, grazed my knuckles/fingers and got it done. Took it out for a little drive afterwards (first time in over 2 weeks) to make sure everything was alright, I have missed the raw power of it! Throttle’s nice and smooth now, not as heavy as it did previous.

Cheers
Nick

Great Work. I love cars like these being kept factory spec.

Love it.

I love the commitment to keep it standard.

Cheers! Its the first car ive owned to return a car back to standard and part restore it, normally i'd modify it but with the way MOT laws are and the fact that in standard guise this car will still be awesome to drive there's no need to modify.

Those "clear" front indi's look awful imo. I prefer the orange...

I agree with you sometimes, really depends on the angle. Once i've purchased chrome kidney grills it shouldn't make them stick out as much, oh and its got to go back to completely standard even if some things wont look as good as before.

Nick

So with the infinite boredom that comes with Christmas I thought i'd eventually start messing about using my GoPro HD video camera, been trying a few places/angles on the car and this is the first one to upload. (Took 2 and a half hours, s**t internet FTL!) It's a bit long winded but eventually I open her up! :)

Cheers
Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers all!

Mark - Indeed the rev matching is a right habit, pretty much do it all the time! Obvously not high rpm rev matching all the time but it feels a bit unnatural not doing it! Hopefully it'll be completely standard by Mar/Apr time and saving atm for the repaint.

Dave - I know tell me about it! lol I've done all I can do with our broadband, just waiting for other useless BT engineers/contractors to sort themselves out so then I can have decent fibre broadband! Lol about Ollie, he blatently wants me to hook the GoPro onto his Cup once its back on the road! Should of heard the reaction of the video on M3Cutters, they asked why there was no 'limiter' action! LOL

So gave the M3 a 'quick' clean yesterday, heres the list of cleaning bits used.

Snowfoamed - ValetPro pH Neutraul
Shampoo - Britemax CleanMax
Wax - AG HD Wax
Plastics and Tyres - Megs Gold Class Endurance Tire Gel
Windows - Megs Nxt Generation Glass Cleaner, then RainX'd the windows

A few snaps...

S1055813.jpg

S1055814.jpg

S1055815.jpg

S1055812.jpg

S1055816.jpg

S1055818.jpg

Cheers
Nick

BMW M5 & E36
I like it!

Might have missed it, but why are you having it painted? Looks immaculate already in the above photo's.

Waitey - There's a few small bits of rust appearing on the car and little chips and dings on various places of the car, by all means its no shed but when you think about fixing them bits you end up just thinking of painting the whole car. lol

Never above 25mpg
Lovely car Nick! Have you thought of contacting the original dealer for some numberplates to add the originality?
Managed to fix the wheel wobble on my car too thankfully!

Lovely car Nick! Have you thought of contacting the original dealer for some numberplates to add the originality?
Managed to fix the wheel wobble on my car too thankfully!

I probably wont contact the original dealer for some number plates however ill get them from my local dealer that sorted me out with great discounts so far for the bits i've purchased.

What was up with the car then?

Never above 25mpg
I probably wont contact the original dealer for some number plates however ill get them from my local dealer that sorted me out with great discounts so far for the bits i've purchased.

What was up with the car then?

Crack in the rear wheel! The stealer had a dodgy weld done and painted the inside of the rear rim as you couldn't see it! Explained the "slow puncture" though.

I also got rid of the Sunny tyres, nobody deserves those!

Still love how chunky those rear tyres are on yours!