ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gen90 Issue

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm not doing this work myself so forgive me as this is coming from the lad who is doing the work.

The ECU has been fitted but the fuel pump isn't working. The pump works fine on the standard ecu but isn't happening at all on the gen90....

Anyone got any ideas?

^^ That.

I didn't realise it had been fitted to a PH1 previously when I was chatting to Mark. Tell him that

For a PH1 K-Tec make you switch some pins around in the ecu connector block. So those instructions will need reversing to put the pins back into the original PH2 configuration.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
This. Around 20 pins need relocating.

That ecu has an ITB base map for a PH-1 172, contact k-tec for the correct base map.

Would it not run with a ph1 base map on though? I only need to get it to rs tuning for them to map it. Ktec want £100 plus vat for the base map.

Wait. You physically move pins in the ECU connector block???

Isn't that kinda retarded - surely moving pins on the loom block or providing an intermediate loom would be far easier?

I still think it seems daft that you have to open the ecu up and move pins around rather than moving or splicing the loom.

Oh well.
I'm pretty glad I just went for an Omex - the Gen90 doesn't seem all it's meant to be especially with the software issues and being restricted to just 2 (or 1 competent) companies who can map them :(

From what I gather, you change the pins Loom side? but still a bit of a ballache for a plug and play ecu. Same amount of work to install something like an OMEX or an EC-1 like on mine, and no dash lights either.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm having a nightmare today with this tbh.

Spoke to ktec (or the wife did as I was losing my temper). They initially stated that they could not send me a base map for the car as the bodies I have are not ones they sell. After some back and forth they are now sending to Andy who may be able to do me a map.

The ecu bit was supposed to be the easy part but I'm just running into a brick wall each time. I'm tempted just to sell the ecu to a ph1 owner tbh!

LOL a base map is a base map, its not to be driven a long time on, its to be used to get it running to be able to get mapping quickly. so just as they aren't their bodies doesn't mean they cant send you it.

From what I gather, you change the pins Loom side? but still a bit of a ballache for a plug and play ecu. Same amount of work to install something like an OMEX or an EC-1 like on mine, and no dash lights either.

That's what I understood - it would be madness to open the ECU

As for the base map - a base map is a base map. 172 PH1 or PH2 or 182 - they'll all run.

Mark says the injectors are firing - just the fuel pump not running
The fuel pump on a ph2 is just a 12v feed to the relay in the engine bay - how does a ph1 differ?

Surely if the ph1 loom is altered to match the ph2 pin-out of the Gen90 then it should work fine.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I have the diagram for the pin change but as far as I know this hasn't been done so should be correct for the 172?

​Who knows.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it was a 2nd hand ecu from a different spec/model car. its piss easy when you know how

it will need the firmware changing back to a ph2 version

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I dont really think its fair comment against Ktec to buy an ECU secondhand from a different spec car then blame them when it does work on yours TBH.

If you phoned them up and told them what your car was and bought an ECU from them sold as workign with your setup they would a responsbility to help get you up and running with a base map and the correct ECU etc, but when you buy something secondhand cheaper surely you have to accept that you lose that level of support?

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I dont really think its fair comment against Ktec to buy an ECU secondhand from a different spec car then blame them when it does work on yours TBH.

If you phoned them up and told them what your car was and bought an ECU from them sold as workign with your setup they would a responsbility to help get you up and running with a base map and the correct ECU etc, but when you buy something secondhand cheaper surely you have to accept that you lose that level of support?

So gen90s are worthless if you buy them 2nd hand not for the exact same spec of your car?

I wish I'd have known tbh.

I think what's more annoying is the complete unhelpfulness when you ask for support from them for a 2nd hand ecu. Effectively means the re-sale value of the ECU is f**k all. Whereas if you re-sell an Omex/DTA and the new owner rings them for support you get it.

There seems to be a few companies venturing into the market of their own ECU's and getting it quite wrong recently.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So gen90s are worthless if you buy them 2nd hand not for the exact same spec of your car?

I wish I'd have known tbh.

Any product you buy without manufacturer support is only as good as your understanding of it.

So in terms of you just plugging it in and expecting it to work on a different spec its not suitable, but that doesnt make it worthless.

HBT 172 Cup
Its just the case of wiring changes to Ph1..

THe day i got my GEN90 i plugged it straight onto my Cup and it fired perfectly first turn of the key. No reason yours shouldnt either with the swap.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Its just the case of wiring changes to Ph1..

THe day i got my GEN90 i plugged it straight onto my Cup and it fired perfectly first turn of the key. No reason yours shouldnt either with the swap.

Thats my issue. As far as I know the pins haven't been changed but I could be wrong.

Im not expecting the earth!

You don't touch the pins in the ECU, I've told you this, its the loom pins you change to suit the ECU in a ph1.

The basemap is for a ph1 ask for a ph2 basemap, pay them the money and that should be it.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
You don't touch the pins in the ECU, I've told you this, its the loom pins you change to suit the ECU in a ph1.

The basemap is for a ph1 ask for a ph2 basemap, pay them the money and that should be it.

​Thats the issue. They wouldn't send a base map as they don't sell the bodies.