ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gen90 Issue

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
​Thats the issue. They wouldn't send a base map as they don't sell the bodies.

Different bodies will have different flow for same TPS signal, they may be worried you are going to drive it hard and melt your engine, or they may just feel its unlikely to idle well, you cant expect them to be able to provide a calibration for bodies they dont even sell.

Ask them for the correct firmwear and map to run your engine on their bodies, and state that you understand this means they have no liability if it doesnt work on your bodies.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Different bodies will have different flow for same TPS signal, they may be worried you are going to drive it hard and melt your engine, or they may just feel its unlikely to idle well, you cant expect them to be able to provide a calibration for bodies they dont even sell.

Ask them for the correct firmwear and map to run your engine on their bodies, and state that you understand this means they have no liability if it doesnt work on your bodies.

I told them I wasn't going to drive it hard. I'm hoping they'll get back to me today with a solution.

Wait wait wait wait. You have to PAY for a base map?
What. The. f**k.

Also saying it's not a kit they sell is utter b****cks - you have the exact same setup as mine and mine came from K-Tec. They swapped to DTH Jenveys recently but before that they sold the seperate bodies like we have.

Ring RS Tuning mate - they'll have some base maps they can send you. K-Tec are being real dicks recently about maps due to the amount of criticism they've received over them.

S4 Avant
For once I agree with chip. You've not purchased anything off ktec, why are they obliged to help for free?

S4 Avant
If I had a customer asking for support on a product that we hadn't supplied, I'd see it as incredibly rude. We get a lot of people asking for help, then going off to the Internet where they can get it 40% cheaper.

This makes me a grumpy b*****d towards offering people help for free!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If I had a customer asking for support on a product that we hadn't supplied, I'd see it as incredibly rude. We get a lot of people asking for help, then going off to the Internet where they can get it 40% cheaper.

This makes me a grumpy b*****d towards offering people help for free!

Well in this instance it is a product you supplied, just after its changed hands to a new owner.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
lets put this into perspective

"Hi, i've bought your products second hand, i'm not giving you any money or bringing you work, I'm going to one of your main competitors who loves to slate you, give me help for free"

"no"

lets put this into perspective

"Hi, i've bought your products second hand, i'm not giving you any money or bringing you work, I'm going to one of your main competitors who loves to slate you, give me help for free"

"no"

Let's put it into perspective without being a dickhead about it

"Hi, I've bought your ecu second hand and although I've chosen to go with another mapping company I still need quite a few parts to finish my engine build and as a Clio owner I could potentially be spending money with you in the long term so was wondering if you could help me out by emailing me a file"

K-Tec can then either email the file supporting someone with one of their ECU's, make a good impression and get further business
Or they can have a hissy fit, which results in negative threads like this further damaging their reputation.

Considering the shocking quality of maps and the feedback which has resulted from them both on here and other social networks - combined with the distance Jim is from them - I'm pretty sure they know they aren't going to get his business when it comes to mapping, but they might when it comes to service parts and more modifications in the future.

If they are going to point blankly refuse to help owners of Gen90's unless they are the first owner - they are effectively destroying the 2nd hand prices of these making them not a valid option for first time buyers either.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Phil, try calling Magnetti-Marrelli up with what you've just said above and ask them to supply a base map, software or even a dongle to allow you access to one of their ECU systems as a 2nd or 3rd user. They will ask you for your credit card details or just put the phone down on you!

I understand completely what you're saying as I'd like to think a company such as K-Tec would show some form of support for this system but you cannot expect a professional company to send out intellectual property for free unless you are the original purchaser of the product as it's just like software licensing. I know some company's such as Emerald will supply base maps and fully support ANY user of their systems but not everyone has Dave Walkers approach. Generally people buy things like this and don't fully appreciate what is involved and then when they don't get what they want or realise too late that they should've done a bit more research before buying turn to forums to have a hissy fit on the internet.

It may not be right but it's how life is

Mick

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Just to clear this up - I've not asked for anything for FREE from ktec.

I asked them to send me a base map for my car and had my credit card in my hand to pay but they refused. It's a product they have supplied and they quoted me for a base map three weeks ago - £99 plus vat.

I accept I didn't buy it new but I don't think it's reasonable for them to throw their teddy out just because I didn't buy it new from them.

As stated, Andy is trying to sort something out for me so hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Countryman JCW
Phone Andrew Carr www.teamcarr.net, he mapped my turbo on a Gen90, tell him Ross (mates with Andy Greer) sent you and he will come to your house and live map it for you :) he's mapped all Andys (AndyRG @ DTM) turbo clios and has been mapping Jon R (Clio admin team) car on boddies so knows these cars well now.

Pm me if you need anything else dude

Phil, try calling Magnetti-Marrelli up with what you've just said above and ask them to supply a base map, software or even a dongle to allow you access to one of their ECU systems as a 2nd or 3rd user. They will ask you for your credit card details or just put the phone down on you!

I understand completely what you're saying as I'd like to think a company such as K-Tec would show some form of support for this system but you cannot expect a professional company to send out intellectual property for free unless you are the original purchaser of the product as it's just like software licensing. I know some company's such as Emerald will supply base maps and fully support ANY user of their systems but not everyone has Dave Walkers approach. Generally people buy things like this and don't fully appreciate what is involved and then when they don't get what they want or realise too late that they should've done a bit more research before buying turn to forums to have a hissy fit on the internet.

It may not be right but it's how life is

Mick

It's not the same as software licensing though. Let me try to explain.

If you sell an ECU with your firmware/software and offer to provide the same firmware/software for the life of the hardware then people buying that ECU will get an inherent resale value from it.

If you sell an ECU with your firmware/software and refuse to offer anything to future owners of that hardware unless they use you for mapping services in the future, then you are effectively destroying the resale value of the ECU.

It's the same in software licensing terms - OS X is very very cheap to buy, but that's because the hardware is hugely expensive. Whereas windows machines are cheap but the software is expensive.

If I write a website for someone where I retain the ownership of the code and tie them into using me, then I sell the website cheaply as I know I'll get money back long term. If they want the code handing over so other people can support it then it's more expensive as I have to cover all my costs in one go.

I don't think £1k is a subsidised cost - I think they are making enough money from that original sale that they don't then have to try and force all future support of it through themselves too. For instance an OMEX 600 is £650 and they get no repeat business at all. That's just profit for the hardware.

It seems a lot like trying to have your cake and eat it to me.

Just my opinion though.

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Phone Andrew Carr www.teamcarr.net, he mapped my turbo on a Gen90, tell him Ross (mates with Andy Greer) sent you and he will come to your house and live map it for you :) he's mapped all Andys (AndyRG @ DTM) turbo clios and has been mapping Jon R (Clio admin team) car on boddies so knows these cars well now.

There you go then, sorted :)

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26

My 172 has a teamcarr sticker and it goes like stink :) I believe EFI might be able to help also but they don't come to you..

For instance an OMEX 600 is £650 and they get no repeat business at all. That's just profit for the hardware.

It seems a lot like trying to have your cake and eat it to me.

Just my opinion though.

To add to this bit, anyone who has dealt with omex, their aftersales care is brilliant. I can phone them up Monday with an ecu that I had bought second hand and they're so helpful, supplying basemap a FOC, any form of tech advice they'll willingly talk you through it.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Get an omex, you won't be tied into KTEC then. .
Sounds like KTEC need to improve after sales. IME If you get good service you tell your mates but if you get bad service you tell everyone.

To add to this bit, anyone who has dealt with omex, their aftersales care is brilliant. I can phone them up Monday with an ecu that I had bought second hand and they're so helpful, supplying basemap a FOC, any form of tech advice they'll willingly talk you through it.

Yup - I can't fault them. I was helping a mate out a few years back working on a customers car - we thought the omex on it might be faulty, they sent a new one out via courier for us to try without waiting for the current one back to test. They are so helpful.

Jenvey have been brilliant as well - always have time for questions and advising on the best stuff.

I didn't buy my Jenveys or my Omex direct - they're both 2nd hand but neither company has ever had a problem helping me out :)