ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handbrake Issue (not working on N/S rear)

BG182FF
Hi all, this is on a 182, and both rear calipers brake fine off the footbrake, but the nearside one with the handbrake doesnt seem to be working much, at all.

Not delved into the brakes on a 182 as yet besides changing pads...

How do I go about sorting it? Cant be the piston or sliders as both work equally under footpedal braking...?

​thanks

BG182FF
it does seem to come up quite high yeah? Adjusted the nut underneath this evening at least 4 threads and made little difference to where the lever is when on.

I was only wondering because my cable snapped on one side and the handbrake would lift up higher than usual. If you've adjusted your cables though then one probably hasn't snapped!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
What i would also do is work out if the brake mech itself is actually working as they're known swines for this on the older callipers.

Jack up on the offending wheel and disengage the hand brake. Using one hand rotate the wheel and whilst doing this, using your spare hand press/pull/use Jedi powers to actuate the hand brake arm on the rear of the calliper... can you feel the wheel start to brake?

If so, replace cable. If not, replace calliper

BG182FF
When you pull the handbrake on hard, it will stop the wheel. The odd thing is the lever on the seized caliper moves more than the one on the working caliper, and that stops the wheel solid with the handbrake.

Question regarding the handbrake and MOT - Isnt it that the handbrake has to hold minimum 16% of the cars weight to pass? Im thinking if they whacked up the handbrake hard it would be ok? As it does work but just not a great deal...I can live with it for now if it'll get through the mot.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
When you pull the handbrake on hard, it will stop the wheel. The odd thing is the lever on the seized caliper moves more than the one on the working caliper, and that stops the wheel

There's your issue then, the handbrake mech is fekked.