ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight correction without a PC Polisher?

J

jakm15

Nothing wrong with that, except the Mr Sheen bit at the end! Lol!

The only issue I would flag up would be to watch how hot the drill polishing makes the plastic headlamp.

tbh it wasnt even warming up, it was on speed 1, i suppose if you went mad you could get it pretty hot then. several months later they are looking good still.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
dsc02212d.jpg

dsc02232d.jpg

Is it possible to get these out by hand or is it a job for a rotary?

Clio 1.2
late reply! (If you ain't sorted this already) you can achieve good results by hand there mate. mine were much worse than that and bought them to a decent finish that i was really satisfied with. i used 1200 wet and dry paper than autosol. spent a long time on them and also sustained a few blisters in the process lol, I still come back to them with the autosol and they're coming up better every time. try just autosol on them on it's own first and i think you'll be surprised.

DCi 100
Leave them on the car!

Saves them moving around everywhere, especially with a DA/Rotatry. Place headlight on the floor, give it contact with one of those spinning at correction speed and you'll have it spinning around the floor in no time lol!

Bumder With A Buffer
^^^ Yes just be very carefull on speed and temperature build up. Use your hand to check how hot the plastic is getting.

Edit you will still need to wet-sand with 1500/2000/2500 etc and use polish of course.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
how much would one of those drill bits cost and can i get one from halfords?

mine are very bad, been worndering how to sort it, i almost bought a new set of lamps but now ill defo be trying this!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Going to tackle one of mine today, got 1200 and 2000 wet+dry and some megs 2.0. ill get some before and afters :)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
  Kawasaki ER6N
Here are mine from today.

Before

eeb45b20.jpg

e692fb7a.jpg

After

6c365b59.jpg

4087ee41.jpg

Started with 1200, 1500 then 2000 wet dry followed by megs on a pad attached to a drill worked much better than expected to be fair.

Thanks cs for the guide parts cost £25 and took less than 2 hours.

Last edited:
I'm having a bash at this soon, by hand, that'll be a fun weekend!

2000 grit wet and dry paper
Car plan rubbing compound
then Auto Glyym SRP

Sound alright? ( It's all I have) Should I do 1500 wet and dry first?

1.8 Civic EX
I had a quick go yesterday,

wash, dry, clay, rinse, t-cut, rinse, AG SRP.

All buy hand and tbh from a distance they look much better. Up close it still looks like shite lol so I'll have to have a go with some wet/dry paper on there to clean it up proper.

Artic 182FF
Had a go at this today.

Used 2000 wet/dry, then some of that Meguliar Scratch X stuff. Ive only rubbed down for about 45 mins and only on one side, but can definetly see a decent improvement. I reckon another hour of rubbing down and a good hard polish and it'll be looking properly bright and shiny!

Audi A3
just before i go crazy on this.

i should start off with a lower number wet and dry paper then work my way up or vice versa, spedning about 2-3 hours then an hour polishing with some scratch x polish (or similar)

I have some wet and dry and some polishes, I don't have scratch x though.

There's a guide somewhere. Pretty sure you start around 1000-1200 grit

182cup & 172 racecar
I attacked ours on the race car,came out really well.

That might be that I wasn't really that bothered,but I must admit I would have shat myself if it had been my car,especially when you start and it's just all foggy.:eek:

I did my headlights yesterday. I didn't wet and dry, I just used Meg Metal Polish by hand.

I'm massively happy with the result, the fine scratches and yellow tint have been removed.

Before vs. after:

37f57414.jpg

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I was bored in the house earlier so went outside to attack one of the headlights.
Didnt do a before of the one I started on, as both headlights were in identical condition.

Started like this
clio1.gif

clio3.gif

Ended up like this.
clio4.gif

clio2.gif

Soaked wet and dry paper for a while.
I only sanded over the top two inches of the headlight, just in case I knackered up the whole of the part in front of the main bulbs, as they are actually in good condition there.
Its just the crazing at the top which looks bad.

Started with 2000 grit, spraying regularly and checking heat (none at all by hand)
Went up to the finer 3000 grit to get the sanding marks out that I'd just put in.

Polished up with Menz Intensive Polish, a coat of Autoglym SRP afterwards. (polished by hand with yellow foam light cutting pad)

There are still some marks there where I've polished up to, but this will be sorted out with the PC/rotary tomorrow/next weekend.

I have to admit, I'm happy with the level of clarity and gloss I've achieved, as a lot I have seen end up looking cloudy.
These will be sealed with a few coats of Carlack68 after a UV stable sealant.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
SRP isn't a wax.

Yes we know.
I used is as a sacrificial product between last week and this to improve the finish over the Menz IP.

Theyll be sealed with Carlack when correction has been completed.

Good stuff. No point doing all that work for them not to be sealed against the weather/UV that causes the damage in the first place.