ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How strong are the 197 R27

R27, Deep Black
Hey, i bought a clio 197 R27 a few month back, and i havn't had a chance to properly open it up in the backroads to see what shes like in the twists!
I don't use my car every day and when i do use it i only use it a few miles and not worth opening her up, so i was thinking about getting some track days to stop it thinking im just driving it like a OAP :eek:.

But that got me thinking.. I know all the 1*2's can take a certain beating throughout all there lifes very daily!

But what about the 197/200's? How big a beating can they take daily?
Are they very strong motors etc?

Maybe sounds noobish but im just curious about it!

Pretty much in the same boat with my new 197, really want to give it some beans but dont like going above 4k. Luckily this Thursday I get to thrash someone else's 197 all around Beford Autodrome on a Palmersport day. Of the seven performance cars I get to drive it's the Clio I am looking forward to the most.

White clique
as with any car you wouldn't want to hammer it too much, but the 197 engine is pretty much the 182 with tweeks, so they are pretty robust.

ValverInBits
gearboxes are always a weak point with renaults.
I know of an (idiot) guy who spent a while doing burnouts in his 197 and he quickly blew the gearbox. The car was low mileage too.

Black 172 PH2
from the Clio Williams all the way to a Clio 200, they are "rev happy" they need to be pushed hard to get the best out of them, thats the joy of a high revving N/A engine!

Just let it get warm, then give it as much beans as you like.

tiTTy & SV650
you need to drive it hard to run it in properly, if you don't it'll make poor power.

Treat the gearbox with some respect and you'll be fine.

Pretty much in the same boat with my new 197, really want to give it some beans but dont like going above 4k. Luckily this Thursday I get to thrash someone else's 197 all around Beford Autodrome on a Palmersport day. Of the seven performance cars I get to drive it's the Clio I am looking forward to the most.

:eek:

Poor car! They need to be driven hard occasionally! You'll be hurting it by not ;)

The harder you drive it the faster it will wear out. This is basic physics. If you drive it as hard as you can it will break at its weakest point, which will probably be an engine mount or the transmission. The more often it goes to the red line the faster the engine internals will wear away and over time the more power you will lose.

You cant get away from these facts.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Pmsl @ 4k!

I've had x3 RS clios since 2004, all driven 'spirited' when warm (see the near redline every day). Never had one engine problem. Good oil/servicing see's them right. Its the neglected cars that suffer