ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I will have an iPhone on Wednesday / Thursday

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent. I'm still on my talk until you get brain cancer tarriff, so all is well.

Now, let the 'tard begin.

WTF do I do with my contacts? I'm on a Sony Erricson W995 which, iirc, I bought from Noah. If I sync it with my lap top, how do I get the contacts into iTunes?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Theres hundreds of ways, but you sound like you are on windows. So i can't help.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Save them to sim, put sim in new phone, save from sim to phone.

Suzuki Jimny
You will never want to use another phone, because you will realise that they are all crap.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Sony ericssons are capable of bluetoothing a VCARD containing the entire phonebook if thats any use.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I think I had my contacts saved in windows contacts from my old SE. Then loaded my contacts from there to my iPhone.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Do you have your current contacts synced with Outlook?

Welcome to the ELITE btw.

That is now done - Can I get the info iTunes in preperation, or do I have to wait for my phone to arrive?

Sony ericssons are capable of bluetoothing a VCARD containing the entire phonebook if thats any use.

Ah, that may be useful. I have the contacts on Outlook 2007, which I don't use for anything else, so hopefully that will be the easiest way to deal with it.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
That's an option then. iTunes will let you sync your Outlook contacts to the iPhone. That's how I used to do it when I was poor and had to use Windows.

I think I had my contacts saved in windows contacts from my old SE. Then loaded my contacts from there to my iPhone.

Excellent - Cheers both.

I have them saved in both I believe, so should be able to sort it out hopefully.

Couple of options you have really. An SE will pretty much always have the contacts saved onto the phone. If you go into a T-Mobile store they have MicroSIM adapters that will change a MicroSIM into a full size SIM, stick that into the SE and copy all to SIM, into iPhone then copy from SIM. Not sure if other networks do this.

The other option is Syncing them upto Outlook, export them as a Comma-separated values file (.csv) and upload that to a Google Mail account. Once they are on the GMail account there is a guide on the mail website that shows you how to sync GMail via Microsoft Exchange on the iPhone that will sync all the contacts down to the phone for you. Will sync back as well IIRC so whenever you add a contact it will have a backup online of them just incase

Edit: or as has been said you can just get iTunes to Sync with your Outlook but thats boring.

I would try to avoid SIM cuntacts if possible. The only information you can store per contaact is like "dave" & " dave mobile". Sucks.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Did you get an iPhone 4?

Yeah - Only 16GB though.

Thank you.

Couple of options you have really. An SE will pretty much always have the contacts saved onto the phone. If you go into a T-Mobile store they have MicroSIM adapters that will change a MicroSIM into a full size SIM, stick that into the SE and copy all to SIM, into iPhone then copy from SIM. Not sure if other networks do this.

The other option is Syncing them upto Outlook, export them as a Comma-separated values file (.csv) and upload that to a Google Mail account. Once they are on the GMail account there is a guide on the mail website that shows you how to sync GMail via Microsoft Exchange on the iPhone that will sync all the contacts down to the phone for you. Will sync back as well IIRC so whenever you add a contact it will have a backup online of them just incase

Edit: or as has been said you can just get iTunes to Sync with your Outlook but thats boring.

Lol, I think the Outlook thing will do, well hopefully anway.

Await many threads and massive levels of full on r****d on Wed / Thursday.

Just get the essentials, like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Cover Orange, Words With Friends and Geo Defense.

People can call you, you don't need to know their numbers.

Also Sony Ericsson's will put their own gay little s**t if transferring to SIM at the end so "John Mobile" would become "John Mobile/M" if you put his number in the "mobile" field when saving him as a contact or "John Mobile/H" if you saved it in the "home" field. f**king hate Sony Ericssons.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I wouldn't be using outlook for my contacts.

Use gmail and then connect your iPhone to gmail with an exchange account, that way all your contacts & calenders (and email if you want) are stored in the cloud.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Just get the essentials, like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Cover Orange, Words With Friends and Geo Defense.

People can call you, you don't need to know their numbers.

Lol.

You may very well have many PM's on Wed / Thurs, as may you Roy, and possibly Christopher.

I believe only Revels has been subject to my level of techno-phobia (I was presented with a Nokia 2300 for a work phone, and I still can't work it), so you should all be in for a giggle, lol.

Edit - it's a 2330 apparently, lol.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't be using outlook for my contacts.

Use gmail and then connect your iPhone to gmail with an exchange account, that way all your contacts & calenders (and email if you want) are stored in the cloud.

I don't use g-mail, I only use hotmail, and my contacts in tehre are full of s**t because I've had the email account for 12+ years.

I CBA to have more than one email address other than work.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I don't use g-mail, I only use hotmail, and my contacts in tehre are full of s**t because I've had the email account for 12+ years.

I CBA to have more than one email address other than work.

You don't need to use the email part of it, you can choose what sync from gmail. Storing your contacts in outlook & using iTunes to sync them is asking for trouble somewhere down the line.

The beauty of storing them on gmail is that if you have to replace your phone, you can walk straight out of the Apple store, enter in your gmail credentials and "bang", all your contacts and calendars are there instantly.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Gmail > Hotmail.

You're not a 13 year old girl anymore. Time to make the change.

This.

If you're not storing your contacts in "the cloud", you're doing it wrong.

Edit: and gmails spam filtering is above awesome.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
You don't need to use the email part of it, you can choose what sync from gmail. Storing your contacts in outlook & using iTunes to sync them is asking for trouble somewhere down the line.

The beauty of storing them on gmail is that if you have to replace your phone, you can walk straight out of the Apple store, enter in your gmail credentials and "bang", all your contacts and calendars are there instantly.

Gmail > Hotmail.

You're not a 13 year old girl anymore. Time to make the change.

Well, I have set up a Gmail account.

Happy? Lol.

I don't know what I need to do with it - but on the bright side, I do have a slightly more proffessional personal email for recruitment stuff.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I even managed to import contacts myself. CSV file and everything.

Landmark indeed, finally rocking mid 2007.

This is all in an attempt to justify the fact i NEED a MBP, lol.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
When you setup your phone, go into the mail app and it will ask you to create an account, select "exchange" rather than the "gmail" option, the exchange option allows you to make use of all the cloud goodness.

these are the relevent settings you will need to enter:

server: m.google.com
domain: (leave empty)
username: deeg@gmail.com (or whatever it is)

It'll then whirr a little bit and then ask you what you want to sync, may as well select everything.

You may as well setup all your contacts on gmail now and then marvel that they all magically appear on the phone after you add the account.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
When you setup your phone, go into the mail app and it will ask you to create an account, select "exchange" rather than the "gmail" option, the exchange option allows you to make use of all the cloud goodness.

these are the relevent settings you will need to enter:

server: m.google.com
domain: (leave empty)
username: deeg@gmail.com (or whatever it is)

It'll then whirr a little bit and then ask you what you want to sync, may as well select everything.

You may as well setup all your contacts on gmail now and then marvel that they all magically appear on the phone after you add the account.

Brilliant mate.

Thank you!!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Success!!

Phone arrived today - The joys of working on the site where they are despatched from :approve:.

Contacts sync'd - Now time to have a play around.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You can't go THAT wrong mate, it's all pretty simple.

It's a shame you had hotmail in the first place, as they're one of the companies you can't just forward stuff onto gmail irrc. i.e I can just get all my old AOL emails etc through my gmail.