ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

(invalid) insurance advice

Not a Clio
My brother has recently passed his test and already has his first car. Our dad paid for fully comp insurance for him. He's since fitted alloy wheels and an induction kit but is not telling his insurance company as he can't afford for the premium to increase,

I've told him that this means his insurance is now invalid but he seems to think he can get away with it.

Can anyone tell me in what situations he may get caught out and if he is caught out, what kind of penalties would he be looking at?

I'm trying to convince him to be sensible and inform them and it would help if I had the facts.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Simple as, his insurance will be void and the company will not pay out for damage.

BMW E92/Audi S3
I don't know but driving with invalid insurance is equally the same as having no insurance.. Obviously.. So a hefty fine and possibly points is involved.

Dynamique Flamer
Traffic cops might check up on his insurance if he looks like he has modded it so he will prob get points for invali insurance (because of mods) 6 points and his liscence is gone!

£200 fine and 6 points = retest.

Standard and minimum penalty for no insurance, plus car inpounded which is around £120 to get it back, plus around £12 per day+

Surely the hike in premiums cant outweigh the above?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
I don't know but driving with invalid insurance is equally the same as having no insurance.. Obviously.. So a hefty fine and possibly points is involved.

Correct.

If caught, the penalty is treated as having NO INSURANCE. Simple.

Not a Clio
Just found out he's with Direct Line and from another thread I've just been reading it seems they won't cover mods.

BMW E92/Audi S3
Just found out he's with Direct Line and from another thread I've just been reading it seems they won't cover mods.

I think it's 6 and that would be an instant ban. As he doesn't have his FULL FULL license yet. Just his FULL one.. not the FULL FULL one.. Meh..

Not a Clio
How old is he? 17? He wont get insured with any mods i wouldnt have thought!

Yeah he's 17. He's daft as f**k, I told him before he bought a car that mods = premium increase if they're even accepted. I remember my other brother telling him as well. But he's a typical 17 year old new driver and thinks no-one will ever find out.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Watch the program on 4+1 now!About insurance ffreud and see the lenghts they go to so they dont have to pay out!

182 Sport 2.0I
The most likely case of him being caught out is in a serious crash where a crash investigator will look over the car and cross reference it to the insurance policy. Small prangs and private accidents there is nothing to worry about. But what he is doing is illegal and as stated can be subject to penalty points and fixed fines.

182 Sport 2.0I
Fool - Hes the reason its expensive in the 1st place

Dont post his reg etc coz ill ring up, as it does my head in that i and others pay their way.

I totall agree, He is the reason Direct Line wont let me mod, he is the reason i pay so much every year. And he is the reason some poor sod is going to be out of 10K when he crashes into them because his insurance policy has been invalidated.

Not a Clio
I totall agree, He is the reason Direct Line wont let me mod, he is the reason i pay so much every year. And he is the reason some poor sod is going to be out of 10K when he crashes into them because his insurance policy has been invalidated.

Well I have no sympathy for him but starting a family feud isn't on my agenda. Hopefully he'll get caught out somehow.

Ph 1 172
got to say not that i dont agree in not telling insurance company your mods (i personally have told them everyone i have ever done) but the induction kit simply bolts on and off!!!! if he keeps the standard airfilter in his boot he could simply refit it within minutes, i read loads of threads on here of people that dont tell insurance companies about induction kits not right but much easier to change than alloys if you have a prang... definatly try and get him to declare both mods but if not at least the alloys.

Not a Clio
He's adamant that he's not telling them and not taking them off either. I tried to make him see sense as did my Mrs. He thinks it's worth the risk.

Ph1
Fines in my local rag for no insurance are 150 quid and a slap on the wrist.

Police have better things to do than hunt out illegal mods on cars and going to court due to a techy between a insurance company and a customer - dont be silly.

If he crashes with the mods on and dosent tell the insurance company they wont pay up, thats about it.
Only time the Police would be involved if theres a fatality and the mods being a key area.

Half the forum post up they have decats. Their illegal and your not covered by insurance!!

If he wants to risk it and crashes, he'll have to take the mods off after the accident and before he claims. His risk tho

Your brother sounds like a complete penis tbh. I feel sorry for the third party he hits when his insurer refuse to pay out.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
i know someone that did exactly the same. ended up with large fine and a whopping 9 points on the license. plus the person he hit has personally took him to court and he got reemed there too...

just sit and wait... oh and practice the line I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Yup, can only reiterate what others have said, if mods aren't declared then the policy will be void from inception.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
My brother has recently passed his test and already has his first car. Our dad paid for fully comp insurance for him. He's since fitted alloy wheels and an induction kit but is not telling his insurance company as he can't afford for the premium to increase,

I've told him that this means his insurance is now invalid but he seems to think he can get away with it.

Can anyone tell me in what situations he may get caught out and if he is caught out, what kind of penalties would he be looking at?

I'm trying to convince him to be sensible and inform them and it would help if I had the facts.

If he has a crash and they want to get out of it (i.e. send an investigator) then they'll note any modifications and they may refuse to pay out. You can always contest it and sometimes you'll get a result. A friend of mine had a similar situation to this, although it was alloy wheels from the same make of car, just from a sportier model, and an induction kit, he got a payout.

Another instance would be if he got pulled and the police made a note of all modifications (has never happened to me but it does happen, on cruises and car meets I'm lead to believe). Then his insurers might have something to say.

But he won't get pulled and done for driving without insurance if that's what you meant in the original post.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Your brother sounds like a complete penis tbh. I feel sorry for the third party he hits when his insurer refuse to pay out.

In all fairness they would pay out for a 3rd party as it's the law.

It's like having a crash whilst under the influence. Your insurer will still pay out to the 3rd party as they're liable from the second your insurance is issued, to the moment they decide they don't want to insure you anymore (i.e the moment they have it on paper that you've got undeclared mods).

They could turn round to you and say you won't get a payout though.

In all fairness they would pay out for a 3rd party as it's the law.

It's like having a crash whilst under the influence. Your insurer will still pay out to the 3rd party as they're liable from the second your insurance is issued, to the moment they decide they don't want to insure you anymore (i.e the moment they have it on paper that you've got undeclared mods).

They could turn round to you and say you won't get a payout though.

That comes out of a government fund not the insurer IIRC. Either way it's hassle for the other party involved and more so if there is a dipute over how valid the scroate's fronted policy is.

Fines in my local rag for no insurance are 150 quid and a slap on the wrist.

Police have better things to do than hunt out illegal mods on cars and going to court due to a techy between a insurance company and a customer - dont be silly.

If he crashes with the mods on and dosent tell the insurance company they wont pay up, thats about it.
Only time the Police would be involved if theres a fatality and the mods being a key area.

Half the forum post up they have decats. Their illegal and your not covered by insurance!!

If he wants to risk it and crashes, he'll have to take the mods off after the accident and before he claims. His risk tho

Its not the decat thats illegal. Its the fact it doesnt pass the emmisions test. If it passed it with the decat on then it would still be issued with a certificate.