ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my car too dear?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Golf R
Afternoon lads.

So some of you will know i have my Golf for sale, apart from one person chapping my door and one other wasting my time - i've really had not much interest.

Have i priced it too dearly? Obviously its a difficult thing to market as its had a full re-spray and i'd imagine folk will think the worse? I feel the advert is fairly comprehensive?

I've dropped the price from 8950 to 8200 and i'll be honest i'd probably take 8k for it, what do we think?

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/golf-gti-edition-30-307bhp-£8200.800555/

Trader Rating - 86.4%
19   3   0
  330i. E30 Touring.
Where is it for sale? If it's not on Autotrader and Ebay, get it on both of those.

Your pics in the advert are pony. Get it cleaned, take pics from all angles on the same day, rather than patchy pics from the last 3 months.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at whats for sale i would say its at least 1 to 1.5k over the top if you wanted it shifted quick i would be looking at 6.5k < there is a dealer car for 6995 for sale on the same mileage as yours , and he can offer finance and warranty .
The mods may or may not put someone off but they don't really add value , but to someone they may add desirability.
The paintwork being done again is a bonus but won't add much to the value , it will just make it easier to sell

Your service history could do with being backed up prior to selling too , there must be something from within the dealer network as it almost sound like its got a made up history prior to you getting hold of it , again meaning you won't get top money .

Just my views in answer to your question

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
I think it is a little high.
With that sort of mileage I would be advertising for 7.5k & accept 7k.

I know edition 30's command a premium but I would sell my 57 plate 5dr GTI on 89k for 5k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yeah its the dreaded 100+ mileage, most probably set the criteria <100k in the search, I know I would if buying a TC performance car for ££££'s. Also its a niche market for the ED30 as most would just want the standard GTI. Its also coming up to Christmas as well mate where money is at its tightest for most..

If you need the cash ASAP lower it further, if not hold out for what you want.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Golf R
Thanks for the replies guys, i appreciate the time of year and what not, but what has to be appreciated is its likely to be one of very very few thats been properly sorted with regards to rust/paint bubbling - every single one i've seen for sale has paint issues.

But i probably agree, with the mileage and the fact its in mint condition, it is a difficult thing to market :(

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
13   0   0
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've not read through the advert (can't understand your accent), but the pictures don't do it justice. Need to be all done in same location at same time etc. The pictures make it appear that not much thought has gone into the advert.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what people mean about the pictures and perhaps it's different when you're trying to sell something like this, but the pictures are fantastic compared to the average car advert, either private or dealer IMHO.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you compare to the others out there I'd say 8k is very fair. Get some proper pics.
Probably doesn't help you're in Haggis land either.

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  RB Clio 182
I think the pictures look ok, and there is only two locations by the looks of it.

I think that viewers will get more excited over the lower price, rather than your car being at tecos in one pic and Buckingham Palace for the other.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mileage will be putting most off as you say but people want clean cars over mileage in some respects so not all hope is lost.

If someone could point me in the direction of 'proper pictures', i'd be grateful.

I shot a bit off freelance photography work for autotrader last year, this is their image guidelines. It's very basic but it's what most traders on there will use and it works. Get the car clean, choose and nice bright day and a good location and stick these guidelines for the best chance.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-10%20at%2018.20.49_zpsqj9rt88a.png
Screen%20Shot%202016-11-10%20at%2018.20.57_zpsfxwjj8of.png
Screen%20Shot%202016-11-10%20at%2018.21.02_zps43kax9n4.png

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  172 Turbo
I looked at your advert as someone looking for a family car when you posted it on here and my first thought was crikey that's a lot of money for a 9 year old car with those miles <- but then I'm not a Golf connoisseur

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Golf R
I looked at your advert as someone looking for a family car when you posted it on here and my first thought was crikey that's a lot of money for a 9 year old car with those miles <- but then I'm not a Golf connoisseur

I appreciate its strong money but i did feel it warrented it when others albeit with lower mileage, but needing work, for not much less.

I'll be dropping the price to under 8k over the week end. Needs to go.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Trader Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I can't give any advice about the car specifically but in my experience there's only ever 1 reason a car doesn't sell and it's because it's too expensive.
Regardless of how fucked a car is someone will buy it if it's cheap enough.

Fwiw it looks like a cracking example and if you can just get someone who's not a dreamer turn up I don't see why it wouldn't sell. Maybe take the line about the budget tyres out though.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have a look at some of my detailing threads mate for images. All the cropping etc just helps the car look so much better.

All my for sale ads used images like them in fairness and I seem to have sold quite a few.

Post detail pics essentially. Couple of hours works and some cracking pics to get some bites.

Just did similar with my brothers car...

113459fa222165b6d9e4e1e657712488.jpg

51848c96fc336bc34cbd45af2cba52cd.jpg

1d153d42f0ff81533f91153ac5b99db3.jpg

f3e1bafb82418a39bb2c0c6121d3f501.jpg

These were pre cropping and any brightening etc. I always think it makes a massive difference.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  E55 AMG
Know anyone close whose handy with a camera? Doesn't matter about the sun then. Just well taken detailed pictures will do. You've seen my S6 thread, I took those pics as the sun was setting but they'd be perfect in an add

Trader Rating - 85.7%
6   1   0
  Peugeot 308
Being a niche model with the mileage, I think being a little more thorough with the service history (Cambelt, Waterpump etc?) would be of benefit.

Mix and match tyres, wheels needing a refurb, no xenons or nav etc.. I know of a very well specced ED30 locally with similar mileage for £8500 and he cant sell it either.

I know I'd spunked some cash on it prior to selling it (Nice selling point) But here's the advert for my GTI from a short while ago;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222227889068?ssPageName=STRK:MEUNSOLD:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1560.l2649

I could have sold it multiple times.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Golf R
@Scrooge , i'll manage myself i just need a brighter day, i've checked and have some slightly better photos but as said, its probably the price more than anything.

@Daz_RT_04 , the wheels don't necesarily need done, i'm being overly critical/honest owing to the fact the paint work obviously high lights that they could be better?

Will probably drop it quite substantially in price tbh. I'm not spending another penny on it.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
7   0   0
For me to be interested in that I'd want to see;

Better pictures (soon to be sorted hopefully, you're selling your car not your photography skillz)
No mention of the respray (caveat emptor, let the buyer find that out, sell it as having amazing condition paintwork though)
Standard GTi badge on the back ('tuner' badge is an instant put off)

Hope you get it shifted soon.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing is, how long has it been for sale?

I know certain models command a premium and the VW world is a bit mental, but at the end of the day, its 8 grand for a tarted up golf GTI, so you need time to find a buyer who cares about the Edition 30 model and really wants one, as to anyone else, its just a very expensive GTI which is halfway to R32 money.

Not trying to be harsh, we all like different things, and there IS a market for them from what I've seen, but it wont be a large one so expect it to take a little time.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Trader Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Take one photo from a top floor flat window, preferably in the direction of the car but not essential.

Add three to four key words such as CAR FOR SELL GOOD RUNNER, fire that at Gumtree and wait for the calls to flood in.

Best of luck you skirt wearing pirate fiend :up:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Golf R
The other thing is, how long has it been for sale?

I know certain models command a premium and the VW world is a bit mental, but at the end of the day, its 8 grand for a tarted up golf GTI, so you need time to find a buyer who cares about the Edition 30 model and really wants one, as to anyone else, its just a very expensive GTI which is halfway to R32 money.

Not trying to be harsh, we all like different things, and there IS a market for them from what I've seen, but it wont be a large one so expect it to take a little time.

Not at all mate, i've got skin like a rhinos gooch so fire away lol!

I was probably optomistic at the original price so i think its fair to say dropping the price will hopefully generate a bit more interest.

Someone will get a great car thats for sure!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Golf R
I'm married, I have no say, she looked at it "is it loud?" "Why do you like a Golf?" I think she is already suspicious.

Haha. Its quiet mate, The exhaust is a miltek but its quiet as OEM!

If you're interested mate let me know, i'll do it at a reasonable price.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think it's the wrong time of the year to sell, folk are focusing on Christmas now, not dropping £8k or whatever on a car. I'd take it off sale & go again in March. Or alternatively find the dude who knocked on your door & offer it to him for what he offered.
That's my two cents worth.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at whats for sale i would say its at least 1 to 1.5k over the top if you wanted it shifted quick i would be looking at 6.5k < there is a dealer car for 6995 for sale on the same mileage as yours , and he can offer finance and warranty .
The mods may or may not put someone off but they don't really add value , but to someone they may add desirability.
The paintwork being done again is a bonus but won't add much to the value , it will just make it easier to sell

Your service history could do with being backed up prior to selling too , there must be something from within the dealer network as it almost sound like its got a made up history prior to you getting hold of it , again meaning you won't get top money .

Just my views in answer to your question
The dealer one that grey one? If so it's a f**king shed.

I went to see it when it was up at £7250. I saw quite a few and for the £7500 price range they are in the condition mine is in, not the minty mint fresh respray pirates is.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't get over 7 k with mods and that mileage sorry , unless you sit on it for months

You also admit nothing backs up any service history prior to your ownership

People looking to pay top money for a car like yours at 8k plus will want solid backed up history ,no mods , and 50 to 60k miles

Just being realistic , I realise yours has been painted but I wouldn't be shouting about that either .

It's a buyers market , especially in autumn and winter