ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JoeyD's MX5 NC Recaro

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Looks great, but far too loud for how quick it is in my opinion.

The microphone is practically inside the exhaust tip, so it's maybe exaggerated a tad:

32656143395_0af4b9258b_z.jpg

But yeah, bigger backbox is probably on the cards when I get a midpipe...

Cheers Chris, quite happy with it now - just needs a bit more shove.
Finally got round to fitting the carbon lip which was an absolute ballache to say the least. Not got round to properly re-attaching the bumper or washing the car yet so I'll get some better pictures once it's done.

32122140653_c5d519219c_o.jpg

32896219476_f549b50c35_o.jpg

That's it, it's fun inside the speed limit. Having said that, it can get exceedingly frustrating at times - 99% of drivers are fast on the straights and slow in the corners, and obviously this thing is the complete opposite...
Can't wait to get it to a track now though, it's so very nearly ready!

Listerine & Poledo
Oh you'll lose any kind of "real world race" on anything that isn't a B-road, and you'll lose to an Astra SRi Diesel.
But that's not what it's about, as you know.

When in Listerine I go with the adage of "60mph is the speed limit.....that includes corners"

Love it! Looks so good. Wouldn't have thought the silver wheels would look so good. Such a good looking car. Very fond of this generation mx5.

Try mounting the mic on the interior... clip it to a plastic trim in the boot. I did this in my Clio in track and found it to be the most accurate representation of its real world sound. You'll get very little distortion

Love it! Looks so good. Wouldn't have thought the silver wheels would look so good. Such a good looking car. Very fond of this generation mx5.

Try mounting the mic on the interior... clip it to a plastic trim in the boot. I did this in my Clio in track and found it to be the most accurate representation of its real world sound. You'll get very little distortion

Yep I've tried this. Unfortunately if you've ever seen the inside of the boot on an MX5 it's all hard plastic panels which rattle like f**k. So you just get vibration noise rather than exhaust noise sadly!

Unfortunately, other than Joey, the only people who own this generation of 5 are geriatric women.
And me, the second I find £12k to spare

Yep. The 'girls car' comments are unreal with this gen!
If I were to buy again, I'd save a bit of money and buy an NC2 soft top, then add some power goodies tbh.

Listerine & Poledo
Yep. The 'girls car' comments are unreal with this gen!
If I were to buy again, I'd save a bit of money and buy an NC2 soft top, then add some power goodies tbh.

And the "Girls" car comments come from boys driving overpowered versions of their mums shopping daily? Sure. you made a great 1-wheel burnout there mate, I bet you get all the sixth form minge ;)

I want a Sport Venture PRHT, in the blue, it's the closest to Listerine they've made since. Not a soft top though, the weight penalty is, what, about 5kg? But the solid roof and not having to find a home for a hard top in the summer, win.

Isn't it a touch more refined under the plastic roof, rather than fabric?

I'm unconvinced, seems to just echo a lot in the PRHT. Things like road noise and my stupid exhaust just resonate a lot and it kinda rattles sometimes. And just from a personal point of view, I prefer the soft top looks wise. Weight difference isn't really big at all so that's not worth worrying about... Also, unless you spend about £300 on a smart-top unit you have to be parked up in neutral with the handbrake on to lower the roof which can be a pain. It's just all the little niggles that add up TBH.

Listerine & Poledo
Also, unless you spend about £300 on a smart-top unit you have to be parked up in neutral with the handbrake on to lower the roof which can be a pain. It's just all the little niggles that add up TBH.

errrrrrrrrrr. I'm really struggling to see the issue there

Did you used to drop the roof on dual carriageways in the Mk.1? ;)

errrrrrrrrrr. I'm really struggling to see the issue there

Did you used to drop the roof on dual carriageways in the Mk.1? ;)

Of course not! Think it's got a 38mph limit. But it's so easy to get caught out at traffic lights for example. Then you look like a complete c**t holding up traffic to get the roof down.

Listerine & Poledo
Of course not! Think it's got a 38mph limit. But it's so easy to get caught out at traffic lights for example. Then you look like a complete c**t holding up traffic to get the roof down.
It wouldn't be any better with the soft top either unfortunately, it's the motors and the mechanisms to blame.
Because NC owners are normally too feeble to open and close the roof using their own arms, cuz menopausal women innit ;)

Dread to think how much that'd be once it gets to the UK! Best option seems to be Blink: http://www.blinkmotorsport.com/?page_id=420 But for that price I'd just want a turbo tbh.
Anyway, finished off fitting the bumper this afternoon, decided to throw some dirty water over it and go take some snaps (yes usual spot!)
32801446622_9ba8f67136_c.jpg

32914679796_c9af59b788_c.jpg

32914679586_0dcab3e4b1_c.jpg

32801446132_f6cf785754_c.jpg

32914679316_362a1df1ef_c.jpg

Not sure how well you can see, but the 4th picture kind of shows how it's not such a great fit. I imagine it's quite difficult to get all the mounting tabs in the right place when manufacturing and it doesn't quite sit flush with the bumper as a result. I actually had to buy a dremel to hollow out some of the mountings to get a bolt in. So, unless you're going to get a body shop to fit it, I'd struggle to recommend it sadly.

Just seen this thread for the first time.
As per every single one of your project threads I've read over the years this one is just as awesome as the previous ones! Really nice addtions you've made.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Please tell me those pics are around Washington and the vids around fence area in Lancashire ? Otherwise I've been pondering where abouts they are for past ten mins wrongly lol,

Cars really smart; definitely my favourite mx5 shape, like a mini RX8 r3 lol, sounds pretty good too [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks chaps! Think the exterior can be left alone now, I don't want to go overboard on carbon. Might consider carbon dash strips, but that's probably about it.
First MOT is due next month, so it really needs mapping before then. I need to sort the rear arches out too as they're eating my tyres over bumps and it still needs aligning. Shocking!

Please tell me those pics are around Washington and the vids around fence area in Lancashire ? Otherwise I've been pondering where abouts they are for past ten mins wrongly lol,

Cars really smart; definitely my favourite mx5 shape, like a mini RX8 r3 lol, sounds pretty good too [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All taken around Saddleworth mate!
Love R3's so I'll take that. Still kinda fancy an RX8... Perhaps a future project...

Small update: it had a decent day with Blink motorsport last Friday; was in for an alignment, fitting the RX8 rollbars, an engine, gearbox and diff oil change (not necessarily needed but well worth it IMO) and a remap.
I wanted it set up pretty aggressive as it's essentially just a toy to be used either on track or at the Cat & Fiddle. Ride heights were all set, I pretty much just said give me what you'd do to a race car and it wasn't all that far off apparently.
33228366880_faf958a150_z.jpg

RX8 rollbars and new drop links were fitted and IMO are a huge improvement. The standard rear ARB appears to be the same thickness as a coat-hanger so it definitely feels a lot more stable through corners. No idea if it's any quicker, but it certainly feels more confidence inspiring.
The remap features a few maps which are selectable by the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel which is cool. There's some new 'driving aids' including flat-foot shifting, downshift rev-match and launch control - none of which I've used yet, they all sound a bit hard on the car to me and I can already heal-toe pretty well so...
There was a decent power increase, you can just about make out the faint dotted lines on the power graph which is before. As this is a hub dyno the figures will appear low, but for reference, 140hp at the hubs equates to roughly 180hp at the flywheel (and 165hp before). Certainly feels lively enough for now anyway!
33482631441_8379b51d39_c.jpg

Took it out for a decent drive tonight, did get some footage but my old GoPro didn't record any sound so it's really not a very interesting watch.
Managed to grab a couple of photos, however:
33454242362_38df473194_b.jpg

33610841175_19031b6a9d_b.jpg

33610841575_fa2f43197e_b.jpg

33610840995_ecae715300_b.jpg

33610841375_c143745839_b.jpg

You can tell it's a little higher than before but if anything I think it looks even better tbh.
Not a lot else to do now other than drive it! Honestly, it's an absolute riot - I just can't help but drive it like a complete bell-end. Feels really really capable now, way ahead of the older models for sure. I think a slightly quieter back-box would make it near enough perfect for me at the moment.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Why am I so jealous of an MX5...

These are so tempting with the bits to get them to 180hp, almost tempting me away from planning for a mk1