ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook Pro thread.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
I noticed there wasn't a dedicated thread to the Macbook Pro, even though I know many members on here use and own them.

I currently own a mid-2009 13'' 2.26ghz MBP. Bought it with 4gb Ram and a 250gb hard drive. I love it.

Upgraded to Lion a few months back and that made the whole thing faster and nicer to use. Currently got an 8gb RAM upgrade kit on order from Crucial, so looking forward to getting that in and seeing the benefits.

The reason I started this thread is because I like to read through the iPhone, iPad and iMac threads to see updates/what people have ordered/doing with theirs (also because I'm currently bored.

Plus I always like to learn new things about my MBP!

I suppose the best way to start it would be to post specs, updates, experiences etc!

:star:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I had a 2010 i5 15" MBP, broke so apple changed it for a 2011 i7 15" model after a dodgy repair job last year.

When I upgraded to lion the whole thing got a lot slower, I need to do a fresh install I think but I really can't be bothered so just putting up with it for the time being.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
You're a lucky b*stard ;)

I didn't do a fresh install either, I just installed from the App Store. Mine seems faster though! Is there an advantage to doing a completely fresh install?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I would have thought so, but I think lion was supposed to (and has for most) work perfectly as an upgrade.

On the older updates they tended to work sluggish unless you did a fresh install.

My iTunes library doesn't help, sooner I get that on NAS the better, just can't afford the HDD's atm

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
How do you go about doing a fresh install when it was a downloaded update with no disc? I have lion on my 2009 MBP 15" its got core 2 duo 2.66ghz, 4gb ddr3 1600mhz ram and 9600m dedicated graphics

I've got a 2011 i7 15" with high res screen and 7200 drive upgrade and 8gb ram. Oh and a sexy big dent in the side.

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
I've got a mid-2009 13.3 MBP - 2.26 GHz Dual Core, 160 gig HDD. It works fine for the most part, although I wish I had more screen space, and it does lag from time to time so am considering a RAM upgrade (rolling with the standard 2GB still). However, I'm also considering going all out and getting a new Mac while I still have Education Discount :eek:

If people are connecting up to an external monitor, what are you rocking? I hear good things about Dell Ultrasharps if you're not baller enough for a Cinema Display?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I've been thinking of selling mine. Currently it sits at the side of the i7 behemoth playing DVD's whilst I work it.

That's a pretty pricey DVD player.

I'll see what the new Air is like.

Megane 225 F1
I've been thinking of selling mine. Currently it sits at the side of the i7 behemoth playing DVD's whilst I work it.

That's a pretty pricey DVD player.

I'll see what the new Air is like.

That would be a very expensive and small tv screen.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I like to move my desktop about as i move about the country a lot, so the 17" pro is perfect, when i'm travelling light i take my Air, everywhere else its the ipad2, so i think i have it covered ;)

why do i need a desktop, i don't own a desk.....

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I like to move my desktop about as i move about the country a lot, so the 17" pro is perfect, when i'm travelling light i take my Air, everywhere else its the ipad2, so i think i have it covered ;)

why do i need a desktop, i don't own a desk.....

You didn't mention you owned an air, you're doing quite alright then.

17" laptops are normally for steers and queers, the only reason I'll ever get one is if I run one as my primary work computer (drawings etc, so I need decent screen size/res)

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
13" 4GB I5.

All I do is go on CS and use iTunes, so don't really need anything else.

Weeman sucks ****
Yeah it does, i run all my movies through mine. You may need to tweak VLC sound settings if you use it.

17" i7 with 8gb. Used for 3d modelling/CS5ing and other shizzle. Can't fault it but wouldn't mind trying an SSD in it, but only when they're reasonably priced.

DSC00157_lowres.jpg

Has anyone had any experience with a Mini DP to HDMI cable from their MBP?

Looking to hook it up to the TV! Does it also carry sound?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Has anyone had any experience with a Mini DP to HDMI cable from their MBP?

Looking to hook it up to the TV! Does it also carry sound?

Yours wont, as its before the sound revision was made.
You have to use the Mini DP and a 3.5mm cable (optical or analog)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
13 inch MBP from mid 2009. So will be 3 years old soon! Mad!

2.26 ghz intel core 2 duo

2gb ram

Should really upgrade the ram on it (Tom offered but never get to see him really! :() since it seems so cheap. What would be a suitable upgrade? to 4gb or could my macbook go to 8gb?

tbh, I only use it for iTunes/internet/load photos on etc

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it does, i run all my movies through mine. You may need to tweak VLC sound settings if you use it.

17" i7 with 8gb. Used for 3d modelling/CS5ing and other shizzle. Can't fault it but wouldn't mind trying an SSD in it, but only when they're reasonably priced.

DSC00157_lowres.jpg

Annoyingly, mine doesn't work through my AV amp and doesn't seem to want to do sound.

Is there a FN F4 type option to make a TV a temporary master screen?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
What settings does one have to tweak? Like an idiot I'm currently running MDP - VGA and a 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack.

I'd like just one cable, but after buying the official apple adapter I'm a bit begrudged to use something else. (I searched for a while about sound but couldn't get an answer at the time, then ended up with an answer a day after I bought it) ffs.

Tom, fancy showing me/helping me upgrade my RAM?