ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbooks

57 Clio Campus Sport
If they find out that your not a student and you've used a student discount they collect the difference...

Or if they find out your a student but purchased it for someone else...

Mini JCW
I managed to get an 8% HE discount off a Macbook and Airport Extreme yesterday, this was the same across three different Apple stores (The Square Group, KRCS and PC World), which is lower then the HE discount my dad got on his MBP last year:dapprove:

So I got the Macbook for £735 and the Airport Extreme for £128.80 in the end.

Lou

ClioSport Club Member
Does anyone know how to change the google search bar in Safari to .co.uk instead of .com?

Z4
I'll be connecting my mini to a 46 panasonic plasma screen, will I need a:

'Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter - Use the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI to connect to a 30-inch display, such as a 30-inch Apple Cinema Display HD, and enjoy the ultimate widescreen canvas with a resolution of 2560 by 1600 pixels.'

OR

'Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter - Use the Mini DisplayPort to VGA to connect to a standard analog monitor, projector, or LCD that uses a VGA connector or cable. Review the documentation or check with the manufacturer of your monitor to make sure you're choosing the right adapter.'

??? ..or maybe a standard pci cable or hdmi?

Z4
Are there any specific dealers better than others?

Its just an adaptor, they're all the same tbh.

My panasonic plasma is a widescreen, when connected to my pc (now) it's all stretched, can the mac be adjusted so everything is the right aspect?

Another question, lol, it wont have speakers...I currently have dell 5:1 surround sound, will this be compatable? Likewise with my router for the internets...

Z4
Its just an adaptor, they're all the same tbh.

My panasonic plasma is a widescreen, when connected to my pc (now) it's all stretched, can the mac be adjusted so everything is the right aspect?

Another question, lol, it wont have speakers...I currently have dell 5:1 surround sound, will this be compatable? Likewise with my router for the internets...

bump for these 2 questions!

Yes the mac should 'just' work to be honest, if not then there's a program called Switchresx I think it is that lets you do completely custom resolutions.

Audio wise, have a look what inputs you've got on your 5.1 system. Ideally you'll have a optical input sometimes called TOSLINK. If so then all you need is a mini TOSLINK to toslink cable and you're away.

The mac's headphone port is also an optical out. tvcables.co.uk is great for these kind of cables and very cheap. Good quality cables too.

Router should just work no worries.

TV is 16:9. Computers are mostly 16:10, so you'll always need to use a custom res, or second monitor to make it fit properly. If you have a PS3 or other capable device, I'd just stream content directly to that, personally.

Z4
TV is 16:9. Computers are mostly 16:10, so you'll always need to use a custom res, or second monitor to make it fit properly. If you have a PS3 or other capable device, I'd just stream content directly to that, personally.

Ok, so I can make my own resolution using Switchresx, what was the other thing you said? Lost me abit!

I've got an xbox 360, how would I stream content directly to that?!

Big thanks to all help, this is a decent thread glad I made it. My mac mini has been delivered and looks mint in its little box! - I'm saving it for christmas until I open it though. :)

You should be able to setup a second monitor in Windows with a custom resolution of 1920x1080. Then when you want to watch stuff on the telly, just switch to that monitor. I'm not sure how you do it Mac OSX but I presume you can.

Also, I don't about xbox as I don't use it for streaming. It's too noisy. I use PS3 Media Server for Mac OSX.

Z4
I may just use Switchresx to change the resolution...does anyone know what sort of res I should be looking at for a 46' plasma?

Z4
Finally got my mini :D I'm just waiting for my dvi-hdmi cable to come through so I can actually use it mind lol.

I've got the 4gb ram, 320gb hard drive, I'm thinking of putting a load of movies onto it on plex, is it recomended, or will I fill it really quickly?

I know I could get an external hard drive, but are there any other ways of making it bigger so I can put all my dvds on there?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
External is the only way to go with a mini (Beyond 500gb unless you want to spend 160 on a 1 tb WD HDD). Iomega do a nice one that matches.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Is there any way of compressing flims? If so, what sort of size are they once compressed?
I use stuff it archive utility manager. Can compress shite ETC.

Has anyone installed the new firmware update? EFI 1.4?

Notice any diff - I cannot. :cool:

182 Cup Racing Blue
Could some please tell me which one to go for!!! its driving me insane!!!

15 inch Mac book pro...the £1,499 model or.....

27 inch Desk top model ..£1,349 model plus ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB [+ £120.00] so in total £1,469

Laptop or Desktop!!!!!!!RRRRRRRRRRRR I dont know!!!! what to buy it before the VAT increase!!! cheers Mr Brown!!!

182 Cup Racing Blue
It is a simple question....but I still live at home...so it will have to be in my room if I go for the desk top....plus if I ever use it for work .....I would need a laptop.....the desktop is more powerful with better graphics. Do you know much about the graphic cards in the new macs??