ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Surely not that low? That would be a new set every track day almost...
Yeah they do mate. Knockhill is particularly hard on brakes. Generally every 3 to 4 track days based on 70ish laps an outing..... Work well, but don't half eat the wheels (powdercoat).

I'm still trying to justify the cost of ds1.11s, have heard good things but the rc6's have never let me down. I have a set of rc8's in just now which should give me longer running than the 6s so I'll you know if they are any better and they are still about £50 less a set than the ds1.11s :)

Yeah they do mate. Knockhill is particularly hard on brakes. Generally every 3 to 4 track days based on 70ish laps an outing..... Work well, but don't half eat the wheels (powdercoat).

I'm still trying to justify the cost of ds1.11s, have heard good things but the rc6's have never let me down. I have a set of rc8's in just now which should give me longer running than the 6s so I'll you know if they are any better and they are still about £50 less a set than the ds1.11s :smile:

Let me know please mate. I can't be dealing with changing brakes every two track days.

I'll see how I get on with these too.

Your car is a tad heavier but still.....is it just the fronts? inside or outside pads? (insides will tend to wear quicker).

Nothing has happened yet by the way mate... I've only just fitted the RC6s. (DS2500s lasted me 8500 miles for reference)

I was only saying that I couldn't be dealing with changing them every couple of track days in relation to cpaterson's comment of them only lasting 200-300 miles for him.

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Thanks man. Slower than yours now though, with all your fancy fiberglass panels lol! Especially with me behind the wheel haha!

are you planning many track days this year i need some motivation to spend some more time on the car, and money for that matter!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Your car is a tad heavier but still.....is it just the fronts? inside or outside pads? (insides will tend to wear quicker).
Pads wear evenly, marginal difference between inner and outer. We are all roughly the same at knockhill. Fraser has similar issues with the phase 1 on rc6,s too. They seem to disappear quick. The trophy is certainly heavy and it only ever does runs with passengers in, so car, me, fuel and passenger means about 1150+ kgs...... There are a lot of guys that get more out of their pads (what ever they run) we we do pass them quite a lot and under brake them at every bend.... Seems we accept performance over durability.

George at rtr was using you as a reference for the longevity and performance of the ferodo ds 1.11s when I was trying to weigh up the extra cost over the rc6 though..... I may have to get a set to compare, but 200 for a set seems steep, but if they last and give the performance then it might be most economical in the long run....??

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Pads wear evenly, marginal difference between inner and outer. We are all roughly the same at knockhill. Fraser has similar issues with the phase 1 on rc6,s too. They seem to disappear quick. The trophy is certainly heavy and it only ever does runs with passengers in, so car, me, fuel and passenger means about 1150+ kgs...... There are a lot of guys that get more out of their pads (what ever they run) we we do pass them quite a lot and under brake them at every bend.... Seems we accept performance over durability.

George at rtr was using you as a reference for the longevity and performance of the ferodo ds 1.11s when I was trying to weigh up the extra cost over the rc6 though..... I may have to get a set to compare, but 200 for a set seems steep, but if they last and give the performance then it might be most economical in the long run....??

Sorry, car me fuel and passenger 1230kg!

Yes I was the first to use them in 2014 from G172 as thats what the Clio cup racers use and a guy who used to be a rally championship used so it was worth the punt. They are a good all weather pad (wet/dry) as I know some ppl like to have wet pads/discs and separate dry pads and discs, with these they tend to work great for both hence why the rally they get used in championships etc . If you do buy some then make sure you use new discs so they get bedded in to those only. G actually has doen himself out of business with these pads lol
Racing I have used DS2500, DS3000 and DS1.11 the later was by far the best as it gave confidence. Iv not tried the RC6s so cant compare

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Yes I was the first to use them in 2014 from G172 as thats what the Clio cup racers use and a guy who used to be a rally championship used so it was worth the punt. They are a good all weather pad (wet/dry) as I know some ppl like to have wet pads/discs and separate dry pads and discs, with these they tend to work great for both hence why the rally they get used in championships etc . If you do buy some then make sure you use new discs so they get bedded in to those only. G actually has doen himself out of business with these pads lol
Racing I have used DS2500, DS3000 and DS1.11 the later was by far the best as it gave confidence. Iv not tried the RC6s so cant compare
i'll have to give them more thought mate. I've had DS2500's before and wasn't a fan, for road yes and possibly a wet track day but that's as far as they would go. George did explain them as being the opposite end of the spectrum to the Ds.1.11s so it sounds like they may be a good choice!

Silverstone GP - Monday 15th Feb 2016

Had an awesome day with the Clio at Silverstone yesterday. It was my first time there and it was on the very fast GP circuit so I was a bit nervous at first, not knowing what corner was coming next. My dad was a lot more cautious, but I was able to encourage him to be a bit braver towards the end of the day. What a great circuit it is though, would definitely like to return at some point.

It was a freezing cold day but the sun was shining, so it was perfect Motorsport weather.

Lots of Clio guys there too, which makes it much more enjoyable. @Ant_Smiggy @Mash @Tony Hunter @BIGASH @Jay Payne and Andrew Glover (don't know his forum name) with his mate. Nice to speak to you all again or for the first time.

My car felt great all day. Especially after a quick lunch time tweak to the corner heights by my good pal Ant. It felt amazing after this! Thanks to Andrew for hiring out his scales. I was also pleasantly surprised with the weight of the Clio. Considering I still have ABS, three rear glass windows, all steel panels and a passenger seat in.

Loads of photos and Go Pro videos to sort through, I'll upload the good bits when I've edited it all. Here are a few iPhone photos for now.

Getting the car and tools ready on Sunday afternoon.
IMG_0837_zpstdegffua.jpg

We have arrived.
IMG_0842_zpsqqdolhdf.jpg

IMG_0843_zpsx4onn8bq.jpg

Starting weight.
IMG_0847_zpsdte0aq6e.jpg

After, and with me in it.
IMG_0850_zps5lygwwjj.jpg

Last session of the day for my old man.
IMG_0852_zpsdpkl7fot.jpg

Last edited:
is that 931kg total? Thats light! No cage I assume? And no fuel either? :tongueout:

No front section (yet) but a SD rear section with double cross and harness bar.

Just over 1/4 tank fuel. Forgot to mention that. So would be about 10kg extra to get it up to half a tank. (Assuming the Clio tanks are 50L)

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm off back through your thread to see what I have that you dont!

Plastic windows
EPAS
Composite shelled buckets
Smaller battery

Every little helps!

Hmm, I'm off back through your thread to see what I have that you dont!

Plastic windows
EPAS
Composite shelled buckets
Smaller battery

Every little helps!

Yeah there's loads of little things I've done. Most of which you forget about but then it all adds up in the end. I've not even gone crazy with it either. Still got the full heater matrix and lower dash in place with climate control haha.

When, just now? Whyyyyy?
Haha yep, put them up at like stupid o clock last night and they sold pretty much straight away!

I'm just not getting on with them, they're grabbing the disc and just not letting go, they're not progressive as such and just not really needed with the weight I'm at....

and I'm skint so need the monies haha...

Clio 182
@AlexW came down this weekend to help me sort out the recent issues.

Whilst I was faffing around getting the old seal out, he did also change my nearside drive shaft over to a shorter Ph1 one. Which I can confirm was about 10mm shorter. Thanks @Mini182 for confirming this issue. It did look as though the shaft was bottoming out in the diff, you could see some small marks. Hopefully now it'll be sweet and not too short though.

iPhone5%20040_zpsc6ojocso.jpg

Cheers

Just been reading through your thread, cracking example of a properly built track car....love it, as clean as I'd like mine to be (who am I kidding)!!
Spotted the above and caught my eye as I'm currently having a gripper'd box built, do the driveshafts have to be changed when running the diff? That's a bad design surely!!?
Also, wanted to ask what oil you run in the box as I've read allsorts lol!!
Cheers
Dave

I agree with you they are really good just be careful my broke up after a few track days in the summer! I now have DS1.11 and they so much better!! @Mash.

I'll keep a close eye on mine :)

Just been reading through your thread, cracking example of a properly built track car....love it, as clean as I'd like mine to be (who am I kidding)!!
Spotted the above and caught my eye as I'm currently having a gripper'd box built, do the driveshafts have to be changed when running the diff? That's a bad design surely!!?
Also, wanted to ask what oil you run in the box as I've read allsorts lol!!
Cheers
Dave

Thanks buddy :) It has been a long time in the making and there are still a few small things to do before I'm happy to leave it.

In regards to the Gripper. I'm not entirely sure if you would NEED a shorter wet side shaft. I'm sure there must be loads of guys out there in 182s who haven't had to change the shaft. Maybe a quick call to Gripper would help clear things up. It would be a bad design if this was the case though I agree.

It's a relatively cheap fix even if you do though so don't be too phased by it. I picked my shaft up for about £20 from memory. Easy enough to fit for a DIY home mechanic.

For a Gripper box the only stuff to use is this:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-143344...2YBq3A_zGDuYIAOrlP8KGuZArnc_WHFjvgaAlA78P8HAQhttp://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-143344...2YBq3A_zGDuYIAOrlP8KGuZArnc_WHFjvgaAlA78P8HAQhttp://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-143344...2YBq3A_zGDuYIAOrlP8KGuZArnc_WHFjvgaAlA78P8HAQ

Clio 182
Thanks for the heads up mate, I'll see if I can find out why the shaft should need changing....I'm guessing others have done it (whoever told you about it)?! Is the shorter shaft just a fit and forget thing, trying to think what other impacts it would have running a shorter drive shaft!!
How often have you been changing the oil, been told it needs changing pretty regular with the plated diff?!