ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK5 Golf GTI.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Today I have been mostly driving. I took like, two whole pictures of the same thing. So I put one in black and white..

8334519763_cf4e055e6d_z.jpg

The Golf, first edit. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

8334524137_483acbd56b_z.jpg

The Golf, second one. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

So basically, I have done f**k all. Actually no. I fitted a new headunit, some JL Audio components in the door and my old sub in the boot.

A-3Z1uyCcAAxCRo.jpg:large

Now it has a loud wheel bearing noise. Annoyingly, these MK5's munch them a fair bit. However, they also make wheel bearing like noises if one tyre is slightly mishapen. And after jacking it up, none of the bearings felt dodgey. However (again), the rear discs and pads that need replacing are making a noise when I spin the wheels. So it could be that too.

Also, it needs a service. But I'm going to take it to VW (because the service history). And I clean it nice, and run it on V Power and stuff. So I am looking after it. Promise.

Snotter's
The mrs gti has the same wheel bearing noise but only aboce 60 where it gets really bad.

Any idea on the cost to fix?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Oh mine had the Cambelt, waterpump, plugs, all fluids and a load of suspension bushes done at the last service. Along with a few other bits (Brakes etc). In fact the last owner paid £1200 to VW on its last visit. VW said I only need the small interval service next time.

I know the wheel bearing sare about £80-100. Replacing them isnt that bad though as you just replace the whole hub instead of needing a bearing press.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
May as well update this. Been driving this car through the winter, and its been fantastic. The 200bhp is enough for me at the moment. Nothing spectacularly fast in the grand scheme of things I know, but it's the quickest thing I've owned!

This is the headunit I fitted a month or two after I got it...

8621771853_9638a69610_z.jpg

Head Unit. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Along with some JL Audio front components, and my tatty old Sub in the boot. Actually sounds pretty good!

Did pretty good in the snow as well...

8392671792_5434ac5f02_z.jpg

Snowy GTI. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

8392670166_a14cce0874_z.jpg

Snowy GTI. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

A few weeks ago I hit a pothole that I believe was the actual point of impact for the Meteor that killed the Dinosaurs. So the front left has a small flat spot in the alloy, and I had to buy a new tyre.

Also gave the car a service, and gave the car a good look over in the process. It does have a "Full VW Service History". However, VW mechanics are a bunch of animals. If the bolts arent overtightened and rusty, they are rounded off or broken. Including a wheel bolt!

And speaking of poopty bolts, had to replace the rear discs and pads. After faffing around with the rounded off wheel bolt, followed by the wheel being stuck to the hub, and then wrestling with the inaccessible carrier bolts that were done up to approx 9,000nm.... it ended up taking 7 HOURS! FOR DISCS AND PADS.

8613516547_52eaecd40f_z.jpg

I cleaned it. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

This thing has been fighting me since day one. BUT, it does look good when its clean. And it does put a smile on my face! Even if it is still standard.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
It's almost as if VW have set the rear end up so you can even have a Rear beam or Fully independent rear suspension. Mines the latter, and there are weird shaped wishbones and beams going everywhere! I'm sure if the car is up on ramps there is a certain angle of which you can get more leverage.

Having a service was interesting too. The Air filter is part of the engine cover, which is held down on rubber poppers which are very tight. So tight in fact, if you don't lift it from the right points it'll crack the cover (Which a VW Mechanic has done in the past).

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Those head units look tack. Nice car though, really deep colour / great example

I get what you mean, it's not ideal. But I've always stuck with Alpine stuff and to be fair, its the least lairy I could get. It's more their for Sound Quality, otherwise I'd have got a Chinese VW one thrown in there for cheap!

Surprised you haven't lowered it yet tbh.

I'm set on one of these next, yours looks great.

What MPG do you get from it?

Last edited:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
About 30mpg around town and when being slightly naughty with the loud pedal. Cruising at 70-80mph I see about 35mpg+. It has topped 40 too!

It's an awesome all rounder. You can defiantly tell its a bit of a heavy car, but it still has a lot of grip. Boost makes the power delivery very satisfying! Its comfortable, fast, and feels more expensive than it is. Which I like!

Its difficult to justify doing anything to a car that VW pretty much got spot on. If I lowered it, it'd probably piss me off. I've done low, and it doesnt go very well with having a hoon on a backroad. Maybe next year some expensive coilovers or something. But for now, its all the car I need!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Really? I can get 30mpg easily! The thing I like about the car is you can drive fast without revving the tits off it. Must've got about 4mpg in the MX5.

TTRS & V50
The thing I like about the car is you can drive fast without revving the tits off it.

This is why I need a new car. May as well have a 1.4 tdi and it'll feel faster on my commute.

What time do you hit Banbury M40 round-about, suprised i've never seen you.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Yeah thats my house, and thats my brothers RS! Oh thats why I've seen your car down their occasionally lol.

I never hit that roundabout! I live and work in Bicester. I used to work for Prodrive, but at the composites department in Milton Keynes.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
FLOL I thought it was. I like that RS what happened to the cool golf he had or was that yours?? was loud as f**k.

Golf was mine. He's only had s**tty fords and a Punto.

So this car is proving to be a complete money pit. A time and energy drain thats left me fed up and feeling ripped off today!

Firstly, the car has had a light knock on the front. Fair enough, i could tell when I bought it due to the history with the car. But they've used non OEM parts and it doesnt fit right when you get up close. This is forgetting the absolutely hideous spray job (Overspray, orange peeled to f**k, lacquer runs etc). The rest of the paint shows scratches so well, and the cats in my area just love to tapdance on the b*****d to make sure they do a good job! Not that it matters, the thing has swirl marks galore to accompany the holograms.

New problems? Well the 3rd brake light has gone. "Oh no" I hear you say, but its a £650 job at VW to replace. Yes, they direct the washer jet at it so it dies, then bond the spoiler down so you cant change it. And yes, it is an MOT Failure. Luckily there is a bodge job that involves smashing the old one out, but its still £75 in parts alone!

The bearing noise. I've been to 3 seperate mechanics that cannot diagnosed it. I've tried different tyres, new brakes, played with bearings and bushes. Nothing! And its so loud.

Speaking of brakes, did I mention one likes to stick on if you leave ESP on and go for a spirited drive? Thats fun coming back to find a wheel pouring smoke out.

Also, today I couldnt get in the boot. I had to climb through the car and all the crap in my boot like it was bloody Shawshank Redemption, to pull an emergency release. It now works, but I dont trust it for toffee! That reminds me, one of the rear lights has clouded glass too!

Rear bumper has been used as a chute to load stuff into the boot. That "Stuff" I can only assume is diamonds and sand.

BUT, and its a big but. On the right road, on the right day... its sublime. And I mean really sublime. Once you learn how to use its weight, it tucks into corners so well. Oh, and doesnt drink a load of fuel in the process.

I did have to laugh reading that mate.

I had a red one before this one and it was a money pit too.

In the engine department though, where noting is cheap, had to cut it loose in the end and move one.

Shame because I loved the red aswell :(

I know what you mean about the right road etc, they really do put a smile on your face. Also carry speed through bends that 1*2s could only dream about ;)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I did have to laugh reading that mate.

I had a red one before this one and it was a money pit too.

In the engine department though, where noting is cheap, had to cut it loose in the end and move one.

Shame because I loved the red aswell :(

I know what you mean about the right road etc, they really do put a smile on your face. Also carry speed through bends that 1*2s could only dream about ;)

Engine wise its fine. It's just I have stuff to pay off, and this on finance. Not a problem, but Im trying to save for my eurotrip in August, Tax in september, MOT October and insurance in November. Just all comes at once! And then the car decides to be a dick. A lot of it is me being picky, and its not a problem. It drives like a dream and I always get compliments, from everyone. Which is a first for me!

Doesnt help that my bike frame I bought fucked me over. Everything I touch ends up f**king up! Just look at the rear disc and pad change for this, 12 hours.

I had to pay insurance monthly for the first time as my bonus from work paid for our cruise in July.

First world problems mate.

Things do tend to come at once.

​I got a nail in the tyre after less than 100 miles :(

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Sahme mate. Driveshaft? Diff? Mounts at the front?

When is it knocking?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Sahme mate. Driveshaft? Diff? Mounts at the front?

When is it knocking?

It's not a knock, more like a drone. Almost sounds like a big bore exhaust lol. Here is a video did on my private runway. You can hear the constant noise, as I veer to the right it stops (you can hear that too when the noise sort of dips, thats me turning to the right).

Last edited by a moderator: