ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Garage Dented My Clio... grrr

PH2 Clio 172
I used to be a mechanic years ago so never usually let anyone else work on my car, if I do it I know its right. When it comes to MOT no choice but to entrust it to a garage. So I booked it in, took it down, waited and drove home. Unfortunately it failed on a couple of minor point (bits ordered from Renault dealer). When I got home I gave the car a quick once over and spotted the new addition to my drivers door... a small dent on the upper curve (slightly higher than the door handle, about 10 - 12" from the left edge of the door). Pretty narked at this point, had the car 8 weeks and it 'was' dent free. I know 100% it happened at the MOT place as I checked the car over before I left home this morning.

Phoned them up and explained the problem, the service manager was not very receptive to my problem. He said as I had left with the car there was just my word against his. He checked with the mechanic who said nothing happened to it that he knew of. There is no paint on the dent from another car, although it look like it has been rubbed with rag or something as there are tiny scratches running left to right across the dent.

I am going back in the morning so the manager can see it and decide what, if anything they will do to fix it. It needs a bit of paintless dent removal and a polish with cutting compound. I am so annoyed, got to run round after these people now to sort this mess out; got a funny feeling they are going to tell me to take a hike and I get stuffed with the bill for getting it fixed..... :mad:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
VW did the same to my mothers polo, we spotted it before we left but it was still a mission to get them to admit liability. Luckily they fixed it in the end!

Keep the fight up mate

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
You left the mot station without checking ya car, they will do nothing about it.

clio
In other news... mine came back from last service with dent in near side door fixed. They must've thought they'd done it... Result!

PH2 Clio 172
Even though I left the garage they are still responsible. I will see what the manager says when I show him tomorrow. Could do without the hassle, maybe my faith in good customer service will be upheld when they offer to get it fixed. If they tell me to take a hike I will get it done myself; thinking I will go with a written complaint after that with the invoice for the repair and insist on reimbursement or small claims court. Might put in a complaint with VOSA too. I know I am right, and am willing to fight my corner.

Where did you take it in Devon out of intrest?
It was Ivybridge Motors (medium sized independent dealer). They were doing a half price MOT deal, have used them before for MOTs (probably never again...).

DB.

BMW 440i
The mechanics will think you are a tosser though, checking over your car every time you drive it away from an MOT...

Agree here, you dont want to seem like an idiot, but in a way, i suppose to cover yourself you would have to!

Clio 182 cup'd
Even though I left the garage they are still responsible. QUOTE]

Why? At the end of the day, you have zero proof they caused the damage.

You might look like a c**k checking your car when you leave the garage, but I'd rather look like a c**k than be in this position now.

PH2 Clio 172
Washed the car last night as it was dusty, wanted to get a proper look at the dent. Once clean it didn't look as bad, but still noticeable. Went down and spoke to the general manager at the garage. He had a good look at the car, chatted for a few minutes about the car and the dent, the time line of events etc. He said he wasn't convinced that the damage happened while the car was with them. He said the dent guy comes most Fridays to sort out any of the used sales cars that need tidying up; he would get the dent guy to assess my car and if he though he could fix it and not make it any worse the garage would pay the bill. Now that is all I wanted at the end of the day, just to put the problem right. So waiting for a call on Friday now to drop the car in for the dent to be checked. Just hope they keep to their word.

Last edited:

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Oh no, you may be a c**k for looking it over, but i know that it must be done.

Always write on the sheet, no washing!

But then again, Jaffa hooks me up and no bullshit from that Ford.

Fair result if it gets taken out, Still a piss take it happened in the first place.

Accidents happen if it was one, But no one seems to take any care around cars apart from enthusiasts.

Always got to be careful, And you just get called anal for it.

Got MOT tomorrow, Hope they dont f**king dent it, Dirty atm so im wondering wash it and hope they take more care around a well looked after car.. Probably wont make a difference to them.

Dodgy one
Local one near me managed to put a dint in my bonnet near the centre line, Only somehow they managed to dint it pretty much halfway up the bonnet, So if you inmagine from the front of the car theres a foot of dents not small either :(

Spotted it a few days after sadly and didnt bother again, they were spotted braying 10 bells out of it up the bypass too, f**king c***s

PH2 Clio 172
^^
I waited for my MOT so none of them would be tempted to take my 172 for a rag up the bypass. I flippin hate MOT time.

Audi
Where did your car get dented, similar place? Did they fix it or did you get stuffed with the bill.

I had the front bumper smashed at Renault when it was in getting the timing belt done. I had discussions with the service manager and general manager, both of whom denied it. I went to a lawyer and he told me to go through a small claims court. I decided to write to the director of the company. Did it very professionally. Recorded delivery letter, included pics of the car to show how clean it was etc and of course the damage. Also went to a bodyshop for an estimate and included that.

I was like you, never noticed the damage till i got home.

In the end i got a phone call telling me to take it in and have it repaired free.

Hope it works out for you.