ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mso supercharged Clio mk2

mso

172 cup supercharged
Decided to keep my car, next month car goes to Ktec for forged engine uprated clutch gearbox etc, aiming for 360hp plus !!!!!!

mso

172 cup supercharged
I have had the car supercharged now for over 10 months with no problems at all, the engine when forged could handle well over 360 hp so no problems there, gearbox will be strengthened or replaced with a different one, it will be done right so I can't see any problems.

big boost cup
You going to do any thing about a diff i was thinking about going forged next will have to see how yours turns out first

535d / t5 caravelle
you crazy b*****d! i like it, nice to see a reliable one, seem to read more about them going bang, suppose people dont generally post saying my cars running spot on though do they :)

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
i think if your going bigger power turbo will be your best bet.. and i qould look at fitting the vag box like 1 or 2 have before.

Qashcow
The rotrex is nearing it's limits at that power surely? Thought 330bhp was about as far as we can take them. ***just read the tech data, they reckon it's rated to 400bhp***

Bare in mind that mine making 273bhp, the engine is probably running near 300bhp with 20-30bhp being used just to turn the charger. 360bhp at the engine prior to charger loss, therefore actual flywheel output around 330bhp?

Be interesting to see what they do gearbox wise, Renault parts are going to be fairly unreliable at that power/torque, I appreciate the DCi box is stronger than standard though. I'm hoping to stick a VAG box in mine but that's going to cost £1000 easily, will be good for mental power though :D

Good luck with it :)

Last edited:
  Astra GSI, 172, Golf
the dci box is no stronger, it just has better ratio's for higher powered cars.. all the box's are made from fudge regardless of there origin.
i think instead of spending money on a lsd etc you will be better of forking out for a good vag box then sort the lsd at a later date.

mso

172 cup supercharged
You can get uprated parts for the gearbox so we might go down that route or just change it, I'm not going for peak hp but if it's around 340-360 hp it's going to be bloody mental. Will test the car with different power outputs to see the best set up for hp against drivability.

Evo 5 RS
who told you that you can get uprated parts for the gearbox? You got triple figures to spend? You'd be better off with a different box as said

mso

172 cup supercharged
who told you that you can get uprated parts for the gearbox? You got triple figures to spend? You'd be better off with a different box as said

There are parts that you can get to strengthen the gearbox, there are some high powered turbos running about on standard gearbox with no problems at all and there are a few who have had problems!!! mine so far running 255hp has been fine for over 7000 miles, if a new gearbox is needed than it will have it.

Qashcow
i think for a long term reliable option id walk away from Renault boxes altogether, VAG box can take 400bhp all day long. needs a lot of fabrication work though as they use M9 bolts on the flywheel or something like that. keep us updated

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
When I ran 341bhp the 1.5 dci (Jc5-128) gearbox coped fine and that included a track day where it was thrashed to death.

However once I moved upto 374bhp it wasnt long before I fired the diff clip out of it. I fitted a new one and had it welded into position, I then destroyed third gear, and I mean destroyed. I've never seen so many metal bits fall out of a gear of when I pulled the shafts out :D

So I'll not be fitting another JC5 to mine.

Power wise it's not quite as easy as just swapping to a smaller pulley. There's loads of other things that need looking at as well.

As said by everyone else, good luck with it. It'll be nice to see a really big powered SC conversion

Qashcow
i wouldnt agree lol, this was built 20,000 miles ago under renault warrenty. 275bhp 3 laps of Castle Combe and 2-3k miles road use ;)

224830_10150170758691500_517591499_7451750_1435612_n.gif

215745_10150170759831500_517591499_7451755_5238638_n.gif

222604_10150170759336500_517591499_7451753_5005241_n.gif

2.2 bar shed.
***just read the tech data, they reckon it's rated to 400bhp***

Take 25% off that, their ratings are a little... Enthusiastic. Good luck putting down 360bhp. Im 'lucky' as the box is good for 600+ bhp, only problem I've got is the chassis rails start to crack. Fun fun fun.

Qashcow
wont be as much as 25%, theres a fair few running 330 odd nowadays, but i appriciate it wont actually be 400bhp

Toms_clio

ClioSport Club Member
  TRACK CAR BREAKING
This will be crazy!!. How much did the super charged conversion cost?
I dont no if I want a turbo or supercharger!
How many mpg do you think your getting?

2.2 bar shed.
Hmm, rotrex's get shat on for the power claims on most of the forums im on. Although saying that they're all yank tank v8 forums!

How many mpg do you think your getting?

If you're asking about MPG, neither are really for you ;)

Qashcow
im getting 28mpg on a normal run with a dodgy lambda sensor, alot less if WOT all day long. as sam says, if your spending £3-5k on the engine, a few mpg arent your concern any more

dumb yanks, dont like anything european. bit of a generalisation, but you get my drift lol. do they take into account the actual power lost running the charger too i wonder

hope you dont mind me using you pics adey ;)

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
im getting 28mpg on a normal run with a dodgy lambda sensor, alot less if WOT all day long. as sam says, if your spending £3-5k on the engine, a few mpg arent your concern any more

dumb yanks, dont like anything european. bit of a generalisation, but you get my drift lol. do they take into account the actual power lost running the charger too i wonder

hope you dont mind me using you pics adey ;)

not atall buddy, will see how long the replacement gearbox lasts, vw box is the way forward

2.2 bar shed.

Most of them use Vortech's. Similar design but they're suited more for higher capacities where as the Rotrex's dont have the guts for anything big in a single charger application. Check out the Vortech V5 series, should suit you if you can find a box suitable ;)

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Most of them use Vortech's. Similar design but they're suited more for higher capacities where as the Rotrex's dont have the guts for anything big in a single charger application. Check out the Vortech V5 series, should suit you if you can find a box suitable ;)

depends on your definition of big, and remember american ponies are smaller than british ones, so a quoted hp figure for an american sc would actually be less that uk hp

2.2 bar shed.
depends on your definition of big, and remember american ponies are smaller than british ones, so a quoted hp figure for an american sc would actually be less that uk hp

Well the entry level chargers are good for 500bhp? ;)

mso

172 cup supercharged
As I said I'm not chasing peak hp but will be going for drivability and reliability Ktec are the kiddies on these conversions as far as I'm concerned so it will be awesome when it's done, I'll let them sort the gearbox issues out , as it happens they have one already done so going to take her out to see what's she is like very soon!!!