ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Estoril Blue E46 320d Sport

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I'm pretty sure at the beginning of this thread you say you sould your Clio and decided to get a proper car?

I did indeed! and a proper car it is. I wanted a 3 series and the 2.0D made the most sense to buy at the time.

To be fair it still does make sense, I don't want to sell it :)

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Rear pads fitted today

a3e436c2.jpg

Rover 75 pads???? lol

Started cleaning up the inner whee arch but going to get some proper stuff bought and do it properly. Any recommendations?

I went from
37ca7dbb.jpg

to
376bd091.jpg

As you can see I painted the caliper too to match the front.

Also got a bit of paint on the exhaust to freshen that up a bit, even autosol couldn't restore it's shine!

5297339b.jpg

Gave it a good clean after too for xmas.

So where is good to get some cleaning stuff? I want some wheel cleaner, tar remover etc

I've currently got AG Wheel Cleaner and "wonder wheels" and they do the job but I couldn't get the bloody wheels any cleaner than this.

That said they do need a refurb anyway, since the garage that refurbed them for Dave didn't even remove the wheels so the insides were never done.

050c8d06.jpg

Shopping list so far:
Iron X
Bilberry Wheel cleaner
Collinite 476 Wax
A couple of plastic squirty bottles

Also looking at getting a rotary polisher in the new year to tackle some swirls. What would you use to get rid of the grime in the wheel arch? Nail brush?? or is that a bad idea?

Thanks

Dan

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You need a good pressure washer to remove all the lumpy crud, then something like Autoglym engine and machine cleaner. Spray it all on, let it soak for 5 minutes, another quick spray to make it wet again then go like fcuk with a stiff brush. Nail brush is the right idea but they wear out quickly. (Yes, I tried! lol)

I did my brakes silver on my 320d last week, makes them look so much brighter!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
You need a good pressure washer to remove all the lumpy crud, then something like Autoglym engine and machine cleaner. Spray it all on, let it soak for 5 minutes, another quick spray to make it wet again then go like fcuk with a stiff brush. Nail brush is the right idea but they wear out quickly. (Yes, I tried! lol)

I did my brakes silver on my 320d last week, makes them look so much brighter!

Is the autoglym stuff a degreaser or is it something more than that?

I'll have a crack at it when my other shizzle arrives :)

You still got the coupe?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It is mate yeah. I don't know what to recomend as a degreaser/cleaner as I use trade stuff in bulk at work so i'm not 100% whats best to recomend from off the shelf so to speak.

I've still got it yeah, someone on here may be buying it soon though. I polished it today and even if I do say so myself, it looks proper good!! lol.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
a6890aae-06fb-7bb0.jpg

the bane of my life at the minute, replaced the sensor etc and shes still there, got another sensor to fit this weekend to see if its just a duff sensor.

Anyone know if you can short the circuit to make the light go out so I can see if its the sensor or not?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Update:

I'm now 6 months/8.5k into ownership of my 320d, it's been high and low, and I came very close to selling it and advertised it a few weeks ago... but it's staying put now!

Over the time I've had it, It's always kept clean and mechanically sound. I've had to replace a few parts, and have done every job myself (bar fitting the tyres)

Every weekend I'm either fixing, cleaning, or upgrading it in some way. So far I've fitted Eibach Sportlines, calipers and carriers from a 330d with drilled/grooved discs. Ecotune front Decat as the original was blowing badly when I bought it..

Unfortunately the wheels are due a refurb, due to a bodge refurb they had last year. It's also MOT time this weekend (my first MOT ever!) which I'm kinda looking forward to in a weird, [-]petrol[/-]dieselhead kind of way.

This car is pretty special, I would probably keep it forever if it wasn't powered by a common rail diesel engine. I probably spend a bit too much time reading misleading info on forums but I'm scared shitless of common rail diesel injector failings etc! I've already had to clean the EGR valve out, I do sometimes wish I'd have gotten a 330i but the added running costs would total a £1000 a year, which is a lot of money for an apprentice! ;)

6745036163_3293fca333_z.jpg

BMW E46 Sport Saloon by DanielJames., on Flickr
6745022897_80c15d2478_z.jpg

6745032315_783fe6e177_z.jpg

6745059379_bf5a028441_z.jpg

6745040063_9554f526dd_z.jpg

(spot the smiley :) )
6745027645_78e31f9621_z.jpg

6745010583_5ed45409a3_z.jpg

6745014727_c613c359ae_z.jpg

6745004621_6396eb10e0_z.jpg

6744974863_c5cdff9492_z.jpg

To summarise, it's standard Individual Sport spec, bar:
* Swirl Flaps blanked
* Ecotune front section (decat)
* 330d front brakes
* Black Kidney grilles
* Eibach Sport line springs

Repairs wise, I've had to replace a thermostat and the exhaust, so not too bad.

Comments appreciated!!

Dan

Lovely mate. Love the car. Love the colour.

Only thing I don't particuarly like is the PH sticker, but that's just me and my hatred for stickers on cars.

Last edited:
  DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Lovely mate. Love the car. Love the colour.

Only thing I don't particuarly like is the PH sticker, but that's just me and my hatred for stickers on cars.

Yeah I remember you saying that! PH sticker will be coming off soon anyway as I will be fitting a tow bar .... :(

Lovely. Black grilles suit it as well, and I don't think they suit any BM. :)

Cheers bud, don't suppose your E46 has a tow bar does it being a tourer?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Looks immaculate, lovely pictures too!

Cheers matey :)

Looks ace!! If you want to get rid of it in 12 months time for something a bit quicker, let me know ...

Haha serious? I was thinking of swapping in July when I'd have owned it a year, but I'm trying to get into motorcross so cars are secondary auto hobby tbh :\

There isn't a better car out there as far as I'm concerned for ~£5kish, well my age/insurance kinda limits it but it's perfect for me at the moment, and bloody gorgeous to look at! Perfect all rounder. Can't recommend it enough.

Just wish it was a 330 sometimes!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Haha serious? I was thinking of swapping in July when I'd have owned it a year, but I'm trying to get into motorcross so cars are secondary auto hobby tbh :\

Most definately! Was arguably the best car i've had when you consider how many miles i actually do ... 650 miles to a tank was nice lol.

July might be a little early for me though, cant imagine me buying a house before next year really. Will pm you if different though :)

172, Tiguan
Mine is a saloon and no towbar, though funny you should say that, i've been pricing them up!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Most definately! Was arguably the best car i've had when you consider how many miles i actually do ... 650 miles to a tank was nice lol.

July might be a little early for me though, cant imagine me buying a house before next year really. Will pm you if different though :)

Yeah sure let me know mate!

It is a brilliant all rounder

Mine is a saloon and no towbar, though funny you should say that, i've been pricing them up!

What prices have you got then mate? Do you think we'll have to hack away at the rear diffusers or is yours not a sport?

E46 320CD
Lovely car, the day you left a deposit me and my mate were due to come and view it as he was very interested in it, as it turns out he got a 335D instead

I myself have a 55 reg 320cd m sport and by far its the best car i have owned. Would only get rid for an M3.... Dave, fancy a diesel again :eek:

Just out of interest whats the 330 brake upgrade like? Worth doing?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Lovely car, the day you left a deposit me and my mate were due to come and view it as he was very interested in it, as it turns out he got a 335D instead

I myself have a 55 reg 320cd m sport and by far its the best car i have owned. Would only get rid for an M3.... Dave, fancy a diesel again :eek:

Just out of interest whats the 330 brake upgrade like? Worth doing?

I never left a deposit? Did I Dave :S not sure. I travelled down and viewed & bought it in the same day.

330d brake upgrade is okay, I got my calipers/carriers for quite cheap. The upgrade only cost me £190 which you would spend on discs and pads anyway if you bought genuine articles (mine are bosch/mtec)

I wouldn't write home about it, the main reason I did it was because the original brakes looked pretty pathetic behind the 18" MV2s. I do find the ABS cuts in far too early now though :(

172, Tiguan
Yes mine's a Sport. Rear defuser does get cut but you can buy a replacement piece of trim with the cutout apparently. I gave up in the end as getting the towbar on our Tiguan instead probably.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
MOT in 10 hours

My first ever MOT, don't know what to expect! taking it to a Ford Garage as my mate works there, hope it all goes well!

I've told him they better not fkin wash my car, I'll be pissed if they get the EZ brush out

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Rides just the same as OEM Sport springs did IMO, perhaps ever so slightly a bit crashier, but not exactly noticeable

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Do you think they're really worth it? Mines not exactly high anyway. Would just like a touch more firm.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Do you think they're really worth it? Mines not exactly high anyway. Would just like a touch more firm.

Well, I got an eBay bargain on my springs, so hard for me to say. For the price I paid they were definitely worth it.

I still find it a good looking car.I'd have no problem driving around in that.

It's too god damn nice lol, so hard to make myself want to get something else. I know I'll enjoy driving a Clio etc more than this, but I'm too proud to own this car.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Did a bit of rust prevention on the rear arches yesterday, hopefully will get the fronts done next weekend.

31149626.jpg

Car up, on stands. Love the Costco Jack, uber bargain @£70

The crud from just one side
988bcfc5.jpg

69fdb621.jpg

Small spot treated from inside and in

3bd107ca.jpg

Theres a bit of bubbling on the offside arch, which I did my best to clean up and treat. Hopes it doesnt get worse.

All cleaned up

5d71065c.jpg

Car is now on 123700 miles. Consumption is back up to around 50mpg. Just starting to collect items for an Inspection 1 service in around May time.

Dan

kwak ZX9R+golf gttdi
cracking cars,ive just got rid of my e46 330 ci,now thats a cracking engine.
had the harmon kardon hifi upgrade,black leather,and paddle shift on the steering wheel.
just very heavy on juice with the sports auto box.23mpg,less if thrashed.

you realy have to watch that rust round the arches though buddy,mine had it coming through on all 4
plus just behind the front wheels behind the side skirts,and boot above the numberplate and round the boot keyhole.

drive beautifull though these cars.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great mate. I dug all the crap out of my rear arches the other day. It was shocking whats in there!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
cracking cars,ive just got rid of my e46 330 ci,now thats a cracking engine.
had the harmon kardon hifi upgrade,black leather,and paddle shift on the steering wheel.
just very heavy on juice with the sports auto box.23mpg,less if thrashed.

you realy have to watch that rust round the arches though buddy,mine had it coming through on all 4
plus just behind the front wheels behind the side skirts,and boot above the numberplate and round the boot keyhole.

drive beautifull though these cars.

They do drive excellent, the best steering feel on a car I've owned I think.

I'll check those other areas for rust :) cheers mate

Looks great mate. I dug all the crap out of my rear arches the other day. It was shocking whats in there!

Yeah I was shocked how much came out, really glad I did it!