ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new Coilovers

Mk2 172
003_1.JPG

003.JPG

I now have the basic info and the pictures of my newly designed and built coilovers :)
They are made by a company by a company called AST. This company is based in holland and has been making suspension for over 45 YEARS!
There sole distributor is POWERSTATION who are highly regarded as one of the best subaru tuners in the country. They build and have developed the excellent TYPE 25 impreza which has won almost all the track racing events it has entered. Eg: Tuner GP in a car which is considerably less powerful than its competitors. Its ability to be so succesful is down to POWERSTATIONS excellent knowledge on suspension setup and what is needed to make a car handle better than anyone in its class. They use AST's coilovers to do this. Recently a few guys in the development department from AST have been over to visit there distributors POWERSTATION to see how things were going and luckily i was there when they were. We chatted about what could be done to the clio as there are very few decent kits available for the clio sport range. I took the chaps out in the car so they could get a feel for what the 182 is about and how it handles with the standard setup. After driving the car the instantly came to the conclusion that the rear was just way too soft.
We got back and they started to look over the car to decide what they could do and what the different options for suspension was. They decided that they could make a set of SPORTLINE 1's for the car which is basically a coilover kit that has height, camber, rebound and damping adjustability. They then decided that there was enough space on the rear to bin the original configuration and go for a coilover on the rear aswell as well as the front. This setup is something similar to what is found on the clio cup racers. But is now available for the road.
The coilovers are adjustable through 12 settings of damping by a small knob on the top of the front strut and a knurled wheel on the base of the rears (See photos below)
I am currently testing them on the road and will be testing them at cadwell park next tuesday along with the guys from powerstation.
I can say that so far i am extremely impressed by them and am more than glad that i had the work done. They are hoping to have them available to buy for the 172/182/both cups and the 182 trophy by the end of sept.
They will be priced at a very similar level to the H&R's but no exact prices have been decided yet as they are still bein tested. Anymore questions on anything that i have missed please dont hesitate to ask or CALL POWERSTATION on 01684 296675 and ask for CURTIS (option 2)
001_1.JPG

002_1.JPG

002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
  Mk2 172
sorry theyve come up on the page really weird!! oh well :dapprove:
Sorry fred!:(
I was a liar i know!

clio 200 F4Rt
its actually too painful to read.

what with the stupid sized pictures and writing going on for miles.

but look decent anyways.

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Lol, I had to paste the text into notepad to read it. Good work Dan R and AST team... keep us posted as to your results :)

That gave me a headache reading it. Press enter after your image files next time.

I didnt think the rear mounting point was strong enough to run coilovers. The cup cars have reinforcement to stop it punching through the body dont they?

Would be very interested in a set of rears if this problem has been considered and they sell them seperately. My ledas are not the best on the rear of the car to be honest.

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
I didnt think the rear mounting point was strong enough to run coilovers. The cup cars have reinforcement to stop it punching through the body dont they?

Got to agree with that, I wouldn't be happy with the cars weight being on that pissy little bolt into the beam either. Don't think it'd that much to bend it. And the upper body point isn't the most substancial looking thing either.

slightly off topic, but how much quicker round say Oulton or Donington are the Mk2 over the Mk1 Clio Cup cars, as the Mk1's still used the rear beam... I suppose the other prob in comparing is the Sadev too, but would be interested to know.

Lionel Richie

nope, nothing special about the cup car rear shell vs road car (hence why we run the cup racer stuff)

Mk2 172

nope, nothing special about the cup car rear shell vs road car (hence why we run the cup racer stuff)

Cheers fred. :)
They wouldnt have done rear coilovers if they had any doubt in it.
Sorry about the long winded text but im forever sein prople sayin.
Spec, what do they fit, what are they, who makes them, how much? etc etc etc etc. thats why i put everything down. So fgar i am extremely impressed with them on the road. loads of adjustment and perfectly comfortable. Cant wait to try it on the track :) :) :)

Mk2 172
That gave me a headache reading it. Press enter after your image files next time.

Would be very interested in a set of rears if this problem has been considered and they sell them seperately. My ledas are not the best on the rear of the car to be honest.

I did press enter. ive no idea why it did that! i dont like computers at the best of times. sorry.

Mk2 172
i knew it was ast you w**ker. lol. these should be dynamite!

They are dynamite mate. they are used alot on cars in europe. Alot of cars on the racing scene are using them. Been makin suspension long enough i think to have some idea what there on about.

lift number 1 @ btm
i was looking at a competition set a while ago, powerstation is an awesome place too! where are you based? i'd be interested in doing a bit of comparison.

Mk2 172
i was looking at a competition set a while ago, powerstation is an awesome place too! where are you based? i'd be interested in doing a bit of comparison.

I work in cheltenham so im not far from you at all really. can meet up if you like sometime. pm me and we can sort something out.

Looking good Dan, I would also be interested in the rear units.

Is that a 5" 200lb spring you have in there? I take it you can specify the spring rates when ordering?
Do the rears use the original bushes?

Where is the front camber adjusted?

Few other things iv noticed ...

dirt covers?
does it need the helper springs?
I cant see it going low enough and having enough travel at the rear? looks like it will sit near to the bump stop all the time.

Would love to try a set on my 182 can you PM me details if the rear units can be ordered on there own.

Last edited by a moderator:
  megan R26.R number 006
Looking good Dan, I would also be interested in the rear units.

Is that a 5" 200lb spring you have in there? I take it you can specify the spring rates when ordering?
Do the rears use the original bushes?

Where is the front camber adjusted?

Few other things iv noticed ...

dirt covers?
does it need the helper springs?
I cant see it going low enough and having enough travel at the rear? looks like it will sit near to the bump stop all the time.

Would love to try a set on my 182 can you PM me details if the rear units can be ordered on there own.
200lb springs on the rear sound very week my kit has got 350lb springs on the front and 700lb springs on the rear

megan R26.R number 006
i have just looked at the pic of the rear coilover and i could be wrong but i say's 0500 -200 -250 so :S come on fred what do you recon they are ?

nope the 0500 is the inch's so its a 5" spring
not sure what the middle 200 is maybe the width
the last number is the lb so 250lb

I think!!!

Lionel Richie
LOL all the excitment!

yoz has cup racer gear on board, spring rate? HARD

the kit you refer to i assume uses the same/similar rear setup as the old LEDA kit?
DSCF0008.jpg

Looks good DanR maybe we can meet up some time and compare your set up and mine as My GDI kit should be with me Monday and then we can both see what's What

My Ledas are 225 front 300lb rear.

Due to where the supsension pivots a coilover arrangement would need a lower poundage then the standard setup on the rear.