ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new Coilovers

lift number 1 @ btm
when i got my set. i asked kw about doing this, but they thought there wasn't enough room to fit a coilover in the rear. what are the advantages to having a single unit over seperate coils and dampers?

got a 172 now mat?

Id be really interested in getting the rear coliover units and using them with my LEDA's up front.

Mark - LEDA didnt like the idea of desiging them, I asked them and I think Gary G did when he first had the LEDA's made for his 182.

Fred - you must of had the idea of making rear coilover units because you have them on the 172 cup!

Why didnt Leda want to do it?

Who makes aftermarket coilovers for 1*2 - Bilstein, Leda, H&R, GAZ. It makes no sense that this 'upgrade' to the original setup has never been thought of.

Im not 100% sure, original answer i think was rear of the car isnt strong enough, but thats been proved wrong in this thread.

I think if I went to the new LEDA today and asked them to make them they would. I can try.....

Dave

Why didnt Leda want to do it?

Who makes aftermarket coilovers for 1*2 - Bilstein, Leda, H&R, GAZ. It makes no sense that this 'upgrade' to the original setup has never been thought of.

Im not 100% sure, original answer i think was rear of the car isnt strong enough, but thats been proved wrong in this thread.

I think if I went to the new LEDA today and asked them to make them they would. I can try.....

Dave

I dont think this thread has proved it wrong. No disrespect to Fred but he doesnt manufacture suspension. I would like to see a picture of the suspension mount on a cup racer to see if there is any modification to it.

Anyone got a pic?

iv seen the mount a few times, there was a race car at Mark Fish for a while.

It didnt looks as if it had a bush in there, just bolted directly to the metal, ill me see if iv got a pic

It didnt looks as if it had a bush in there, just bolted directly to the metal, ill me see if iv got a pic

Whats Mark Fish' opinion on this then? Would be interesting to get his input.

will ask him next time im done there, im away for a week but my car will be going in week of the 24th hopefully so ill mention them to him and see what he thinks

Mk2 172
its easier and cheaper for a manufacturer to just produce a spring, and tweak a damper that they probably already have on the shelf, i would of thought.

Its a good idea, and i like it.

Was going to fit a set of H&R's to my 172, but i think i will wait for these now!

I would be very surprised if the rear coilover is bespoke. It would cost a fortune if it was.

AST has NOT COPIED any other suspension design on the rear. its there own development. theyve been doin it long enough to have an idea of how to go about it!

Mk2 172
they must have used parts they already manufacture i guess, but possibly put them together in a different order, ie casing from one car, platform from another. although, i would have thought ast are a big enough manufacturer to be able to spend a couple of thousand euros on r&d. thats half the reason i'm so interested in these!

I am interested in the rears but would like some better answers on why no other companies have produced this yet.

Because they just use the simple spring and shock idea which is easier as the car already has it. AST couldnt understand why noone else had done it so they decided that they would give it a go. There a big company with a massive amount of knowledge and experience!

they are not saying they have copied any one, they are saying they have taken a damper design which they probably all ready have and adapeted it for the clio rear fitting.

Which is probably true, im sure they already had a coilover unit like this avaliable for a different car and they have tweeked it for the clio.

Mk2 172

The ast's have a bush in the base and as fred told me it has a special mounting at the bottom too and doesnt bolt solid.

Mk2 172
they are not saying they have copied any one, they are saying they have taken a damper design which they probably all ready have and adapeted it for the clio rear fitting.

Which is probably true, im sure they already had a coilover unit like this avaliable for a different car and they have tweeked it for the clio.

Probably. they do make a massive range of suspension. It works on the back and its as simple as that. People sayin that they have known of probs on the rear on the cup cars is irrelevant as a road car is not a race car and does not go through the same level of stress and punishment.

Your right, the race car coilovers dont have a rubber bush from what iv seen.

When can we get ordering options and prices for the units?

clio 200 F4Rt
Dan R - we all know AST know thier stuff, if you dont, you dont survive in todays market! You dont need to defend them so agresivley mate!

we just all want these!! lol

Mk2 172
Dan R - we all know AST know thier stuff, if you dont, you dont survive in todays market! You dont need to defend them so agresivley mate!

we just all want these!! lol

I dont mean to sound it. Its like text messages on here i guess. people can take things the wrong way! :( sorry

Your right, the race car coilovers dont have a rubber bush from what iv seen.

When can we get ordering options and prices for the units?

For the AST's?

Yes for the AST's. I would like a price on the rear units and what i can specify when ordering, like spring rates etc etc.

Would also like to know if they offer a spring exchange like LEDA used to?

Thanks

clio 200 F4Rt
lol, thats cool mate!

just tell AST to cancel all annual leave, and get everone double timing it on these!! hehe

lift number 1 @ btm
^ from the sound of it, these are still very much in development. it's just that dan has ignored the usual route of hype and drip feeding information. i for one think that when finished these should be both top quality and great value for money. and also a top piece of initiative too! hope you are getting yours free dan!!

Mk2 172
For the AST's?

Yes for the AST's. I would like a price on the rear units and what i can specify when ordering, like spring rates etc etc.

Would also like to know if they offer a spring exchange like LEDA used to?

Thanks

I spoke to curtis at powerstation earlier and he will probably beable to sell the rears on there own but wouldnt be happy with it as he cant guarantee the handling on the car as there are 2 different manufacturers bein used and the shocks dont match which is not always a good idea. He said hes tried it in the past with mixed results! just sell your lot and buy the kit!
At least there all new then and can be rebuilt etc :)

If the rears didnt work id take them off and go back to the LEDA's + with out sounding rude the handling of the car wouldnt be his problem as he wouldnt be fitting or setting up the car.

I dont want to sell the whole kit, I like the leda's, the adjustment on the front looks bette then the AST aswell, I cant see how i could set the same camber i have now with the AST kit looking at those pictures.

Mk2 172
^ from the sound of it, these are still very much in development. it's just that dan has ignored the usual route of hype and drip feeding information. i for one think that when finished these should be both top quality and great value for money. and also a top piece of initiative too! hope you are getting yours free dan!!

Not quite but very discounted and have not paid for fitting, setup or corner weighting etc.
They are basically done to be honest. We are stickin with the 280lb springs on the front but are changing the rears to a 225lb instead of 250lb as i think its a fraction too much.(not a bad guess by him tho)
As for someone askin earlier about lack of suspension travel on the back i was right in sayin that on the pic the rear bumpstop is not pushed to the bottom. After speakin to him today he has said that there is between 50 and 60mm of travel which is more than sufficient. :)
They will be ready to order by the end of the month and im sure if you ring and speak to curtis you will beable to change the spec i have if so desired. As i said anyone can come and drive my car and see what they think. I think for the money they will be very good! even if they end up bein slighty more than the H&R's at least they will give you full adjustment which is something that driving around ive found is a great aspect of them. simple twist and it feels easily as comfortable as the standard car :)

Mk2 172
If the rears didnt work id take them off and go back to the LEDA's + with out sounding rude the handling of the car wouldnt be his problem as he wouldnt be fitting or setting up the car.

I dont want to sell the whole kit, I like the leda's, the adjustment on the front looks bette then the AST aswell, I cant see how i could set the same camber i have now with the AST kit looking at those pictures.

I asked curtis about the camber and if you want more then he can have them made to allow that or just use camber bolts! Up to you really

Mk2 172
When the kit is finished and up for sale ill speak to whoever I need to about ordering.

Where are you based?

Yeah no worries. As i said call powerstation and ask for curtis(option 2)
Mention me and he will sory you out. Hes a relly nice and helpful lad.

Im based near stratford upon avon. (where shakespeare was born)
In a town called evesham.

Mk2 172
Miles away from Essex then!!

Got any more trackdays planned this year other than cadwell?

Not yet to be honest. I got asked by powerstation to go with them to the ring next month but am mega skint and got bid credit card bills :(
Will have to arrange a meet or arrange another trackday or something.

deff, I like Freds idea of comparing all the set up's on track. But will be too hard to sort out and we will all need to be on the same wheels/tyres/tyre pressures to make it fair!

Mk2 172
deff, I like Freds idea of comparing all the set up's on track. But will be too hard to sort out and we will all need to be on the same wheels/tyres/tyre pressures to make it fair!

Yeah bit of an unfair comparison. too many things to take into consideration. A massive trackday would be cool tho.

megan R26.R number 006
i like the idea of testing them at the same time by the same driver but like most things i fear that this will never happen

Mk2 172
i like the idea of testing them at the same time by the same driver but like most things i fear that this will never happen

I doubt it very much too! Also depends what that particular driver prefers the feel of. It may not be the best car but mite just be the one he prfers!

They are dynamite mate. they are used alot on cars in europe. Alot of cars on the racing scene are using them. Been makin suspension long enough i think to have some idea what there on about.
Not wishing to put the compnay down im sure these are good but just because a company can make good stuff doens't mean they always do.
Curtis at powerstation prefers to have a bit more travel available as he prfeers them not to hit the bumpstop if you hit something harsh etc
I think everyone would prefere it not to.
he doesnt want to run anymore cos he feels that that is perfectly adequate and will make very very lttle difference to tyre wear. 2 deg neg is way too much for road unless you get tyres for free!!!
Depends what your looking for though.
and my current Ledas (which incidentally look exactly the same as the Gaz Clio 2 struts?)
THey won't be valve etc wise gaz are rubish IMO.
Again with LEDA, recently went into and out of administration so not sure where they are going to end up.
There back in business that woulnd't put me of buying there stuff.

Mk2 172
Everyone is allowed there own opinion edde i know but by the sounds of your last thread you were just out to pi*s people off! Yes the coilovers that ive had develpoed may not be everyones cup of tea but at least it gives people more to choose from. as far as im concerned ive done good. Ive not bugged them up at all and said there the best i just said heres another good choice from a well established manufacturer!!!!! saying (DEPENDS WHAT YOUR LOOKIN FOR) in relation to camber is true yes but im just tellin you what he thinks is best for the road thats all. and like i also said if you want to run more you can but he sees no reason for me too. I didnt say it was the law to not run 2 degrees. i just said he thinks theres no reason!

Lionel Richie
my own personal track car only runs 0.5 deg neg, where as the company demo vehicle is somewhere around 3deg neg

its down to personnal preference, not because a loads of people say "yeah 2deg is what you have to have"

lift number 1 @ btm
i'm the same, i think my car has about 1 degree. which makes the car much less nervous, and easier to drive smoothly. if i want it to turn in sharper i just have to turn the wheel a bit further. also since i drive it every day, on the roads where i live it would be unbearable with much more than that.

Mk2 172
i'm the same, i think my car has about 1 degree. which makes the car much less nervous, and easier to drive smoothly. if i want it to turn in sharper i just have to turn the wheel a bit further. also since i drive it every day, on the roads where i live it would be unbearable with much more than that.

Thats basically what curtis said. im running 1.25 deg neg. He did it mainly cos i do a thousand miles a month! and like i said it can also affect other areas such as braking accelrating etc etc.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
With regards to the rear damper spring set-up. Does the Kit come with an upgraded mounting bolt.? To take in to account of the extra loading placed upon it.

Nows that it also supports the cars weight as well as all suspension loading too.

Mk2 172
With regards to the rear damper spring set-up. Does the Kit come with an upgraded mounting bolt.? To take in to account of the extra loading placed upon it.

Nows that it also supports the cars weight as well as all suspension loading too.

Not that i am aware of. There pretty damn strong tho! There not just any old bolt.

Everyone is allowed there own opinion edde i know but by the sounds of your last thread you were just out to pi*s people off! Yes the coilovers that ive had develpoed may not be everyones cup of tea but at least it gives people more to choose from. as far as im concerned ive done good. Ive not bugged them up at all and said there the best i just said heres another good choice from a well established manufacturer!!!!! saying (DEPENDS WHAT YOUR LOOKIN FOR) in relation to camber is true yes but im just tellin you what he thinks is best for the road thats all. and like i also said if you want to run more you can but he sees no reason for me too. I didnt say it was the law to not run 2 degrees. i just said he thinks theres no reason!

Mt last thread do you mean my last post on this thread if you know me you know I don't piss people off on purpose.

Choice is good I don't argue that. What i do argue with is (and this ins't just you) [people saying xyz must be good as its made by people with years experaince that means nothing ive seen some real junk from companies with huge reps and histroy before now a good part will speak for itself long term.