ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nando's The Oracle Reading Wednesday 25th July 7.30pm

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thats a shame ben. Hopefully next time then :)

Lesley is coming as well now, but she wont be online to add to the list.
Please dont hate her for arriving in a corsa, her 172 doesnt have a cylinder head on it at the moment, lol

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I might be going to a later showing now so may see you all!

I wouldn't worry about arriving in a corsa, i'll be in something much worse! (not the BMW)

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Film moved to Basingstoke (Amazingjoke) :(

Will you guys still be in Oracle at around 10:30?.. DOubt it :(

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
bad news guys....after me begging you to change the date, something has literary just popped up...am gutted as i cleaned the car for you all earlier. saaaaaaaake

next time I swear to god im there lol, anyone fancy picking me up nando's to go? lol

RS 189.9
It most definately did! I didnt realise the HILARIOUS joker who put the wipers up did the back one too! Not to worry though was considering a de-wiper jobby!

Im thoroughly stuffed from my chicken! :)

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
weird how they did everyones wipers but only the rears on both two trophies :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
bad news guys....after me begging you to change the date, something has literary just popped up...am gutted as i cleaned the car for you all earlier. saaaaaaaake

next time I swear to god im there lol, anyone fancy picking me up nando's to go? lol

Cleared off to some chav car meet I heard.

Shame on you.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Good to hear it was a good one.. Complaining about Aircon? Try imagining a cinima packed for 3 hours with no aircon!

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
Good to hear it was a good one.. Complaining about Aircon? Try imagining a cinima packed for 3 hours with no aircon!

ouch...im guessing that was the new batman movie....

my pirate copy is crap, got loads of ppl running around. sounds good on surround sound though

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Good meet, nice to see another Trophy!

Pointless story - I had a dream last night so this is a made up & completely hypothetical scenario - I was driving home on the M4, 10pm and the traffic was very light . I was in lane 1 with cruise at 81. There was a car in the distance closing very slowly (cruise at 82?) and he eventually came close enough to warrant an overtake so he pulled into lane 2. Because our speeds were so similar it took about half a mile before he'd moved up into my blind spot. At this point we approached a Merc in lane 2 doing 70, nothing else in sight. The car overtaking me moves into lane 3. Hypothetically, what would you have done at this point?

My options as I saw them were to turn off cruise and brake/slow down, move into lane 2 (at which point I could have flashed the Merc requesting him to move into lane 1, or not), wait until I had been overtaken myself then move into lane 3, overtake the Merc and continue on my journey OR continue in lane 1 with cruise still on, undertake the Merc and continue on my journey.

What would you have done?

As it happens (in my dream) I chose the latter. Stupid really because if the Merc had moved to lane 1, even though I was hovering over the brake pedal and was prepared to move into the hard shoulder, it could well have resulted in an accident. I should have known better.

So anyway, at one point all three cars are perfectly alligned across all three lanes, my hand is extended out of the open window at the Merc driver, palm-up in a 'what are you doing in the middle lane?' gesture, then the undertake/overtake is complete and the Merc is in the rear view mirror. I'm in lane 1 and the overtaking car is still in lane 3, but he's no longer overtaking, he's maintaining the same speed as me. Strange. I look across and see an angry-looking po po glaring at me. Eyes forward, cheeks clenched I await the flashing blues but they never come. He stays in lane 3, level with me for 3/4 mile then speeds back up to 82 and continues on his way. I vow to change my ways, relieved that I wasn't stopped.

I know I was in the wrong (in my dream) and I'm lucky not to have been pulled for a stupid/dangerous manoeuvre but maybe the copper was in two minds about whether to pull me, the Merc for middle lane driving, or just wanted to get home at the end of a long shift? What would you have done?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I dont see that you are doing anything wrong to just keep driving down the inside lane, if someone else is driving in the middle lane not at a sufficient speed to keep up with the traffic in lane 1 I have never understood why that is your fault.

The highway code iirc says you should stay in the inside lane unless you need to leave it to overtake, you didnt need to leave it so you didnt.

He was the one in the wrong IMHO

I asked a senoir traffic copper once and he said there is no actual offence of undertaking on a motorway, not sure if he was correct or not though, as Ive noticed the police frequently dont know the law well, lol

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
[h=4]268
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.
[/h]That is from the Highway Code, so it probably depends on what you count as being congested.

[h=4]138
On a three-lane dual carriageway, you may use the middle lane or the right-hand lane to overtake but return to the middle and then the left-hand lane when it is safe.
[/h]But from this statement the Merc would be in the wrong for middle lane sitting.

And one last thing you need to find something better to dream about!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Bear in mind that the highway code doesnt constitute traffic law, only parts of it are legally binding, the rest are just good road manners, and it is my understanding that section 268 and 138 both fall under that "advice to be a good driver" side of things only:

The government talking about the highway code said:
Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
I didnt read that bit about the must /must not

But I did read this one

261 You MUST NOT exceed 70 mph (112 km/h), or the maximum speed limit permitted for your vehicle (see Rule 124). If a lower speed limit is in force, either permanently or temporarily, at road works for example, you MUST NOT exceed the lower limit. On some motorways, mandatory motorway signals (which display the speed within a red ring) are used to vary the maximum speed limit to improve traffic flow. You MUST NOT exceed this speed limit.

So if you did get pulled by a very stingy cop for any offence it would be for doing 80.

To get in trouble for undertaking it would have to be numerous times, with weaving in between lanes and then it would be considered dangerous driving.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I didnt read that bit about the must /must not

But I did read this one

So if you did get pulled by a very stingy cop for any offence it would be for doing 80.

To get in trouble for undertaking it would have to be numerous times, with weaving in between lanes and then it would be considered dangerous driving.

Yes that is my understanding too, that it can be considered a part of an act of driving without due care and attention or driving dangerously, but its not an offense in itself.