ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paint quote reasonable?

Evo 5 RS
Got me worried now Ant lol. Honestly though they've made a right hash of that. You've got every right to ask them to do it again. Like Phase1r says though if they're happy letting an M5 of all things go out like that then they're not worth the time of day in my book.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Well they won't be removing anymore paint so you now have multiple layers. That cause so many issues including sinkage and heavy stone chipping on front end panels.

Thicker the paint... Bigger the chips.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Well they won't be removing anymore paint so you now have multiple layers. That cause so many issues including sinkage and heavy stone chipping on front end panels.

I also found that a car with lots of paint build up never had the same factory finish.

Always looked to heavy, panel edges look wrong etc...

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member

So I need to get them to sand the panels and bumpers back?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Its probably the most labour intensive job in a bodyshop mate. I very much doubt they will even entertain that idea.

As per Scott, anything approaching the 3rd time of painting you're really going to struggle finish wise as everything is just sitting on top of layer after layer. We're talking 4 layers per paint visit. So if none of the car has been painted before then it now has 8 layers approaching 12 and I highly doubt the front bumper wasn't done before.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
So what's the best protocol now? I appreciate the help although I'm now a little concerned about where I'm supposed to be heading.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Silver is a c**t of a colour to paint too. However a lot of them issues are from poor prep. We had a Land rover in once which had issues with silver that was painted. We ended up stripping it all the way back to bare metal and starting again.

Looks like they have let the apprentice do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evo 5 RS
Yeah it's tough but honestly they've really done a number on that. With mine I basically said I want it done right or I don't want it done at all - if that was mine I wouldn't stand for it, Ant. That's not just being fussy, that's mickey mouse. I've seen smart repairs that can't hold a candle to how poorly they've painted that.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Ok lads I appreciate the feedback, when I take the car back for it to be done again I will lay it down nice and thick, I want to do it face to face as that way they can't brush it off.

If the old paint needs to be removed, so be it. If they had got it right 1st time than there would be no need to strip it back.

I have steam coming out of my f**king ears now....

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Mate that's awful :(

I really do think most these body shops just think "hmmm they'll never notice that" in the hope that the person they're doin the work for doesn't really care.

Having had a few bad spray jobs done in the past I've seemed to of developed an eye for a painted car and it jumps out instantly.

Hope you get it sorted mate

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
9 out of 10 probably wouldnt know it's wrong. That's how the standard is driven south.

A lot of people assume the paint won't look look like factory once repainted as they don't think it can be replicated.

On a weekly basis I inspect people's cars which have maybe had some previous work or even work elsewhere recently and you realise the general public really don't have a clue what's right and wrong. As long as it's not bad they just take one look and drive away.

As I said, it's should be the bodyshop manager and QC guys that determine the standard not the owner of the car.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Looks good from a distance lol

IMG_0587.JPG

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Did they not offer to blow the bumpers in? It's piss poor especially when you've paid £1000 for it.
I think it's best that they didn't mate, I'm sure they would have painted over the stone chip's and caused Ant even more problem's.

Last edited:

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Had a sleep on it, well no sleep. Taking the car back tomorrow and dropping it off and giving them a week to sort it, they don't know that yet but they will soon enough. I will go through everything including poor masking off areas, damage to top of the front bumper which I'm really really pissed about.

They will be sanding the panels and bumpers down, they will sort it all or they will be refunding all the money or they can go through the embarrassment of paying another body shop to rectify the work.

I will make the lives miserable if they try and brush this off or do another substandard job and refuse to refund or pay someone else.

I'm firing on all cylinders now, I wish them the best of luck....

Evo 5 RS
Do it mate. You're perfectly in the right too. I hope it doesn't come to that for me as you want to build good relationships with local companies, but if the work is that standard being friendly goes out the window!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Really wish you the best of luck mate.

What an epic car to mess up on which pains me even more, I need to get a few bits painted on the Spec C (im sure its going to end up being a full re paint) but trying to find a bodyshop I trust is a tough one, although I do have the choice of 2 I think I'd trust.

Having come from working on top end cars for 15 year's of my working life and knowing how things should be done it's hard.

f4c0df647122b3bbcef9934d63bd345a.jpg

cba0fc6987bcd6f385e05241d17ab849.jpg
5891ba42d634e090ca5eef393d50940a.jpg

Evo 5 RS
nice! ^
I think things are just different these days. I've heard some shocking stories from inside Mclaren when it comes to paint standards...

You'd just like to think small firms would take pride in their work.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Paint is a dark art.
Lots of people can paint. Not all of them can paint well.

Even after a full year and a bit of training with the RAF I was still learning things over the next 5 years before I retrained and moved onto survival stuff.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
nice! ^
I think things are just different these days. I've heard some shocking stories from inside Mclaren when it comes to paint standards...

You'd just like to think small firms would take pride in their work.
Thanks mate, the F50 we painted the front end was nice too.

I'll start a thread one day. [emoji2]

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Good luck Ant, let me know if you need anymore advice etc.

Appreciated, I have confirmation back with a apologie stating all issues will be rectified, still paying them a visit tomorrow though....

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I've been to plenty of 'shops, and they have never rectified anything to a decent standard if it was tosh in the first place, so for me I can see this not ending well!

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I've been to plenty of 'shops, and they have never rectified anything to a decent standard if it was tosh in the first place, so for me I can see this not ending well!

I hope for there sake you are wrong. I know all the painters are on a bonus scheme vs satisfaction also, well if they want there xmas bonus they are going to have to go balls out.

Plus they wil be sanding everything back.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I always forget about the bonus shop thing. We're one of the last remaining bodyshops that don't run a bonus system. The basic wage is high and it helps keep the standard high although in the same breath can affect times on jobs which in turn affects profit.

Worth spending more time and getting it right than doing it twice in our opinion, lot bloody cheaper for sure!

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Well a phone call from the body shop owner apologising for the work, he said his team is working two nights to clean down body shop, oven, guns serviced etc. Looked clean enough when I was there lol.

Taking the car down on sat morning to meet him so he can catalogue all the problems in advance.

Maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel! I will drop the paint stripping bomb in person lol.