ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paint quote reasonable?

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Well that's some stress lifted off my shoulders, all now documented and photographed after visit, the bodyshop manager was speechless to be fair.

On a more positive note, they will be removing all the paint and starting again. I pointed out that if they had done it right, there would be no need to do it now. I also asked for photo evidence to prove it had been done.

Naturally I will take a depth reading before I hand over the car.

Booked in to two weeks time and they have the car for the week, two if needed.

Overall I feel confident.

Clio 182 Clio 200
Silverstone can be a horrible colour to match and they should have told you they would need to blend the front wings rear 1/4s etc
A lot of that is down to poor prep work in my opinion but the paint match is poor and the finish isn't great either

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Silverstone can be a horrible colour to match and they should have told you they would need to blend the front wings rear 1/4s etc
A lot of that is down to poor prep work in my opinion but the paint match is poor and the finish isn't great either

Realise that just two dark, look like they will blend into wings foc so that's something.

TBH I just need it to look good for another two years before I take the car off the road and stripped/respray than stored.

Clio 182 Clio 200
What paint scheme are they using out of interest as where i work we use standox and nexa and usually one of them is a spot on match

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Paint scheme is irrelevant, if it doesn't match, you make it match. We mixed 14 shades for a Lexus last week then just made our own using the closest match. That's the diffference.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
You've every reason not to be happy with that.

Good luck.

The spray work on mine is actually far better than the original. Like Scrooge I'm yet to see a car that where the work look 100% original.

Evo 5 RS
Even the best work you will be able to tell it's had paint. Just depends on how easy it is to spot. You can normally tell where somethings been blown in, but the harder you have to look the better the work.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
My wife's (no) car has had 2 repairs. Once for a rear quarter by Just Car clinics and the rear bumper by VW.

The rear quarter took them 3 attempts to get right and the rear bumper twice (and that was at a VW main dealer).

Both thankfully didn't cost us anything as they were insurance repairs (non fault) but it just goes to show that anywhere can do a bad job, whether a main dealer or a backstreet garage. The worse bit is that they get away with it probably 90% of the time as so many people either a) don't care or b) don't have the guts to complain.

First world problems I know, but I take pride in my own work - why don't others?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I think part of the problem with spray work is you don't know how good the job will be until you've finished it....By that point its too late.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I think part of the problem with spray work is you don't know how good the job will be until you've finished it....By that point its too late.

That's not really the case though. You can easily tell if you've prepped the surface properly with the first coat of primer. Most of the defects on the wifes car and on Ant1's M5 would have been visible well before any colour and lacquer was put on. There's just no excuse for it.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
That's not really the case though. You can easily tell if you've prepped the surface properly with the first coat of primer. Most of the defects on the wifes car and on Ant1's M5 would have been visible well before any colour and lacquer was put on. There's just no excuse for it.

Oh yes, I agree in that regard. The OPs job was appalling. I was just talking about your average colour/blend mismatch etc.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Well dropped it off at 7am and given a shitty pug electric car! Let's see what the next 3 days bring.

There are three of them working on the car solid over the next two days so that's reassuring right? Lol

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm loving the irony of the first page where people are getting shot down for calling work expensive "sometimes you need to pay to make sure it's done right" "it's worth it" etc.

Then it turns out that it's a coin toss anyway as to who's actually doing the job at the place you've gone. Hope it's actually sorted out in the end without too much hair loss.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Just got home after collecting the car!

To say I was shocked was a understatement, I have to hand it to them, they have done a really good job.

I need to see it mid day as I picked it up when the sun started to set, however it was hard to fault.

They also blended in the front wings and removed stone chips, and blended into bootlid which had a couple of marks (thanks to hotel trolley potter) foc for paint match.

If only they had done this the 1st time!!!

Last edited:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Just goes to show that they can do it, but trying to maximise profit leads to a shoddy job and they have been caught out this time. Good for you for complaining in the first place and getting a good result.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Just goes to show that they can do it, but trying to maximise profit leads to a shoddy job and they have been caught out this time. Good for you for complaining in the first place and getting a good result.

I don't know what went wrong, they where working on a nice 911 and tvr when I rocked up, the tvr was the flip paint so that has to be done right or will look horrendous!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know what went wrong, they where working on a nice 911 and tvr when I rocked up, the tvr was the flip paint so that has to be done right or will look horrendous!
Looks like they let the apprentice do it then, "ah it's only a bmw rep mobile" [emoji23]

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
Just finished reading this post! What a rollercoaster of emotion! I was so caught up in it I was getting angry! :') Glad you got the result you were after in the end @Ant1 ! As the guys said would have been nice to see the finished result but glad you got a bang for your buck in the end!