ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Playstation 3 = Awesome

It's perhaps telling that this thread is in tech chat rather than gaming but, no matter.

The PS3 really is a fantastic home media centre. Mine is now switched on as long as my TV is. I have PlayTV which turns it into a fully featured twin tuner PVR with a lovely GUI. I can watch all my HD US telly shows & HD movies. I can watch Blu-rays. Play music. Stream music. Stream video. Watch p**n. Stream p**n. On top of that, it will also play games.

All joking aside about Console Wars, it really is a very very good machine, and if used fully, it's also immense value for money. Games wise, I'm more into PC gaming anyway so I'm not concerend about any of that TBH. As a media box plugged into the TV in the living room, wirelessly hooked up to the network, I can't fault it. It's even easily quiet enough to leave it switched on 24/7.

The best £280 I ever spent TBH.

mk5 fiesta zetec s
just sold mine i thought it was a very good console but w**k for games. i bought it for 500 pounds on release day the 60gb one with two games. sold it last week with 8 games and 3 pads for 320,

just sold mine i thought it was a very good console but w**k for games. i bought it for 500 pounds on release day the 60gb one with two games. sold it last week with 8 games and 3 pads for 320,

Yeah I can understand that. I rarely use mine for games. If it was my sole games machine I'd not be so impressed with it. I'm fortunate enough to also have an x360 and a pretty epic gaming PC, which mean I just use the Piss3 as a media centre. It is flawed, but in that role, I find it awesome TBH :)

Native mkv support, as discussed elsewhere, would make it perfect IMO.

So what do i need to hook it up to the tv and play all my downloaded shows?
Do i need to buy this TV thing? also my mac is in another room at the mo.. so only a wireless connection is available.

So what do i need to hook it up to the tv and play all my downloaded shows?
Do i need to buy this TV thing? also my mac is in another room at the mo.. so only a wireless connection is available.

To watch (legal) downloaded TV shows, you simply need to stream them or copy them over.

mkv2vob is what you need to make them playable on the Piss3. It will play avi native.

I stream the 720p stuff, but 1080p saturates my network so I copy those over via wireless before watching.

Roy, how do all the files look?

By that I mean do you get cover art etc or is there an additional way to get that? or do you just get a file name and a blank looking folder?

Roy, how do all the files look?

By that I mean do you get cover art etc or is there an additional way to get that? or do you just get a file name and a blank looking folder?

It sorts stuff out on it's own. If there's cover art, it will show the album cover thumbnail when playing music. When browsing, you just get a list of files. It's not an iPhone, put it that way, but the GUI is nice and slick. It all just works. Mine is now never off. I use it for TV (& PVR), all my music, all my US shows, Blu-ray etc. Love it TBH :eek:

To watch (legal) downloaded TV shows, you simply need to stream them or copy them over.

mkv2vob is what you need to make them playable on the Piss3. It will play avi native.

I stream the 720p stuff, but 1080p saturates my network so I copy those over via wireless before watching.

Newbie Alert!! How do i do that? lol Streaming it? do i download that mkv2vob on my mac and it does it all for me?

Clio 182 cup'd

very good console but w**k for games?? that makes no sense at all. Surely if its w**k for games, then its a w**k console?

mk5 fiesta zetec s
lol i mean all the extra's on it are very good like the wireless internet,blu ray, streaming abilities. thats all i ever used it for but for online gaming i think the xbox has a way better community

Newbie Alert!! How do i do that? lol Streaming it? do i download that mkv2vob on my mac and it does it all for me?

TBH I'm not sure if mkv2vob is available for Mac OS. You need a media streaming app to send the shows out. I use TVersity. mkv2vob just converts them into a PS3 readable format.

TBH being a Mac user, you might be screwed for both of these apps. Google will tell you more.

You see i considered this.

But instead i built up a custom PC, with tbs of memory, to link to my new tv. I either DL on that computer and then its all there or i can access the network from it. For me this made more sense really, as i can also use this computer to store music for my sonus in the house and other bits.

Besides i don't think i'd use a gaming console, really. If i was to it would be a 360 as the live on there just pwns ps3.

TBs of memory? Wut?

Good plan otherwise though. Personally I like to keep my PC out of the equation, as it is only a gmes machine and nothing else.

Clio 200 Raider
Totally agree loving mine so much it gets better and better as times going on

Bought my 60gb April 2007 and there wasnt much for the £425 price tag. but now im thinking its been so worth the money of late

i play games surf the internet with my keyboard while listening to music stored on the hard drive. i stream blu ray rips and anything from my pc through ps3 media software. i play blu rays
Play ps1 games then copy them to psp. You have the play tv although ive no need for that at the mo.

Dont know what i would do without mine now such a good all round machine!

TBs of memory? Wut?

Good plan otherwise though. Personally I like to keep my PC out of the equation, as it is only a gmes machine and nothing else.

Yeah. I have a few computers, each for diferent things, so they don't get mixed up. Hence this one being just for the TV.

And... terabytes

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
what wireless router are you using?

I find that my PS3 reacts slower than my XBox 360 for media sharing, if listening to music and you skip a track it's 2 or 3 secs before the next one plays and for movies I get the odd jerk in playback sometimes, it's like the data isn't streaming fast enough

in comparison my 360 is much quicker to react, almost instant when changing music tracks and flawless movie playback, the wirless seems to work better/faster for some reason!?

also, what software are you using for media sharing?

I only really got the PS3 as a glorified bluray player, for gaming I prefer my 360

Bumder With A Buffer
What do you use for streaming Munson? Im currently using "PS3 Media server" the java one and am happy with that.

Yeah. I have a few computers, each for diferent things, so they don't get mixed up. Hence this one being just for the TV.

And... terabytes

Sweet. I don't think it has TBs of memory though, does it. If you mean storage, then cool.

Anyway I'm off to watch Supernatural 0418 in 720p :cool: (f**king love this show)

Clio 200 Raider
What do you use for streaming Munson? Im currently using "PS3 Media server" the java one and am happy with that.

Thats the best one ive found so far that works better with my network with hardly any slow down

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's a great media centre, I totally agree!

That really is it though. It's a terrible games machine.

VaVa
I find the 360 is a pretty decent media centre for streaming etc... but something like PLayTV would be tip top tbh.

E87 118d M Sport
dunno how people can say it is a terrible games console. ive got a 360 elite in the house and my ps3 is much better. even my brother admits it.
the thread title is spot in imho!

Rav4
I don't understand either, could someone please clarify this for us?

Is this another kind of PC VS MAC ?!

dunno how people can say it is a terrible games console. ive got a 360 elite in the house and my ps3 is much better. even my brother admits it.

BMW F31
am i right in thinking you can dual bot a linux os on the ps3 too?

i must admit i love my x360 but i am warming to the ps3, for blu-ray, internet browsing and pvr functionality amongst others

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

PSN is awful. Lack of DLC for anything is shocking. Lack of basic multiplayer functions is awful. Pad is far worse. Etc

I had one, so i'm not just an armchair hater.

I find the 360 is a pretty decent media centre for streaming etc... but something like PLayTV would be tip top tbh.

and blue ray, internet, multi format video files...... ;)

TBH Mine should be used like Roys but I am too fick to know what to do lol!

I do however have the blue tooth remote control - are you packing one of them Mr Munson as its great tbh :D

Yeah the remote came with the Piss3. Essential TBH. It gets used a hundred times more than the games controller, which is crap, even for games.

dk

911 GTS Cab
nothing wrong with the pad if you add the trigger extensions, they completely transform it TBH.

I love PSN, its free, nuff said really, still allows me to play games online, and chat and its free, like nothing to pay, like totally costenloss.

I also prefer the fact that its silent, the 360 couldn't really be used properly as a device in our lounge for watching tv as it would be too loud really.

I haven't got the bluray remote control though, i've heard its dodgy, as it has any button on and it has a s**t load of buttons you only have to knock the thing or pick it up to move it and the ps3 turns on. Is that right or was it just a bad lot of reports?

The only game i play at the moment is LBP too, got farcry 2, GOW2 and resistence 2 but i can't stop playing LBP, is just so immersive and pickup and play

I Love my PS3 ive had it 2 years now brilliant for playing DivX & XviD files and video and music streaming plus a free blueray player and to top it off it plays awsome games on it i love call of duty online:evil: im curently playing bioshock as i got it cheap at asda £14 loving it so far psn is good as its free but no too keen on home at bit s**t if you ask me.later this year i might get an xbox 360 also but not important as im still loving my ps3

SLK 350
I haven't got the bluray remote control though, i've heard its dodgy, as it has any button on and it has a s**t load of buttons you only have to knock the thing or pick it up to move it and the ps3 turns on. Is that right or was it just a bad lot of reports?

Nope, this is true. But I see it largely as a benefit, though I can see where you're coming from. For playing media, it's a must buy (£17~), much better than fumbling with the pad - too many times I've put the pad down and it's started FF/RW or even worse skipping the fking chapter!

On topic

I really wouldn't want to be without it now, despite not getting to game on it as much as I'd like! Just need to get PSN/Home (remember that?) up to scratch, it's still missing 'party chat' and the ability to join a friends game, straight from your friends list, though I haven't used 2.70 yet.