ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible engine mount problems?

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Righty-ho.

About three weeks ago I had my car serviced, on the service they picked up that I had two cracked springs on the front. More about that later.

I was driving back from ASDA at the Trafford Centre about two weeks ago and I hit a pot-hole, when I did it broke the lower engine mount. Snapped the bolt. Odd eh? Thing is, it's been jumping out of 2nd gear for about 2 months now, and it's really getting me worried that I've got something else more serious wrong.

Anyway, we got that fixed and I also lowered it on Ultimate Springs and Dampers, and new Conti Rubber all 'round. It's better but it still sometimes jumps out of 2nd.

Suggestions please?

ValverInBits
It's not that unusual to break engine mounts. I have no idea why they dont make them stronger. I know a guy who managed to drive his valver 3 miles with a broken gearbox mount.

You may have bent another mount when you snapped the Gbox one. Is the dogbone/dogbone mount points straight.

the dogbone is under the car, linking Gbox to subframe.

It's likely to be a dogbone problem tbh. Worn or bent

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
It was a the dogbone one that snapped. Sheered the bolt. The garage who repaired it said it was fine otherwise.

If I grab the top of my engine and move it about it moves EXACTLY the same as my Mum's 1.4 16v Clio, which has no problems.

BMW M135i
Only thing I can think of otherwise is has it taken the gear linkage out of alignment when it was shaking around after shearing the bolt? Are all the gears where they were before? It only takes a fractional movement (and I mean fractional) to make a big difference.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Right, it's been MOT'ed now. I asked them to check all the mount, they're all in perfect condition, so they say.

That's two mechanics saying the same thing, but the car still isn't right.

When it's in neutral and you let go of the clutch the gearstick moves back, normal?

BMW M135i
They aren't rubbish its usually the owners treatment of them that are. Has the alignment of the linkage been checked by any of these garages? Its in the haynes manual. It they take it off it should be apparent if its moved.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
They aren't rubbish its usually the owners treatment of them that are. Has the alignment of the linkage been checked by any of these garages? Its in the haynes manual. It they take it off it should be apparent if its moved.

Yeah, it's all fine they say.

As I said, two different mechanics had a look. First one was the women (yeah, I know :eek:) doing the MOT then I got the guy who owns the garage to look. All without tolerances etc and the linkage is fine they reckon.

*sigh* Too many fast 1st to 2nd changes. :(

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
That was done on the last service as I said in the first post about three weeks ago. It's got some fresh Elf-goodness.