ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Log - Ph1 Flame Red 172

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Tranent is closer than Birmingham! Just noticed that the garage Brembo linked to do nhs discount. Mm they might get a call soon then!

Awesome stu cheers for that :) still waiting till the first of march aye? It'll take a lot of will power for me not to put this back on then as well!

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Tranent is closer than Birmingham! Just noticed that the garage Brembo linked to do nhs discount. Mm they might get a call soon then!

Awesome stu cheers for that :) still waiting till the first of march aye? It'll take a lot of will power for me not to put this back on then as well!

yeah still waiting! only makes sense as the berg goes on the 1st and saves me losing a months tax! but now that it ready i just want to go drive it!! haha

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Get the cams done ;) Swr done my sump were good guys. Cheap for belts around 370 on a aircon model as I asked for ally. Noddie with the 200 uses them as well rates them

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It's on the road! Legally and everything! Done 30 miles so far and used mora than a gallon, new lambda coming soon! Rear brakes and oil pressure switch fitted today along with a number plate and tax disc so I could take it out, forgot just how raw it can seem. Although it still remains rolls Royce like next to the chav!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Nice. Will be there too as a spectator, hoping to do some track days eventually

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Lol nice!

Got a chance to do a little to it today, new throttle cable fitted, which was surprisingly easy to do and has probably been the best £25 I've ever spent on this car, wish I'd done it years ago! Will become a service item from now on, every new aux belt it'll also get a cable

Also investigated my knocking exhaust and it would seem the link decat is about 2 inches too short and causes it to get a bit close at a certain point. Some precision engineering seems to have solved the issue for now at least.

I also decided it was finally time to adjust the handbrake, then realised the is wheel was jammed on with the handbrake off and the ns was still spinning, bit more investigation with Dave and it would seem my ns caliper is seized so will try freeing it off soon and if hat doesn't work we've both got a spare set of rear calipers so not a big disaster, just a faff, and one I'm glad to have discovered before bleeding the brakes!

Cheers
John

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Na, wee spin down the street and then into the garage, we'll get to that one soon enough! Oh other than the seats nearly being out, stupid exhaust was in the way if a bolt, dunno if Dave got to it today or not, we've both been busy with other things.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well a bit more has happened recently to the flamer, got this box of bits from renaultpartsdirect

dea0002d.jpg

Which I then took along with the car to swr Stirling and picked it up today with this in the boot in return

8a9f4d57.jpg

Very happy, car seems bang on, got a rolling road a week tomorrow so will be obvious soon how good the timing is! Every faith in them though.

Also went through this landmark recently, it's certainly getting below average for its age these days, I hope to change that but too busy for the same random driving that I used to do

61446223.jpg

Also took a quick pic with daves golf that is up for sale and wee stu was over skirting my back room so took a quick pic of the 2 rarest 172 colours together!

dfcee98b.jpg

7510b4b9.jpg

b099c721.jpg

Next job is 2 new rear calipers :(

Cheers

John

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
I didnt get my old bits back :( And i never seen you taking those pics either, Must have done it on the sly LOL

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Did it whilst you were slaving away stu!

Damn fit Jamie, figured may as well, also got the thermostat changed As well but forgot to get it out the box, only do it every 5 years so may as well do it right!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Think they are 35per hour very reasonable IMO and top blokes

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
For fitting both belt kits, thermostat, dephaser and water pump they took £273 labour, I supplied all the parts. It had an oil change 1500 miles before hand and will get another in 3500 so didn't bother with that.

Last edited:

koi

Audi S1
Just had the same done to mine and after pricing up the parts it's pretty similar to what I paid...just without the 5hr road trip.

I got advised to do oil changes every 6k too. Which means every 4 months, better off buying a big drum of oil!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Aye gets a bit often doesn't it?! All my parts inc coolant came to £413 so a total £686 and the journey to Stirling and back twice, once to drop it off and train home and then took the coupe and Dave to pick it up, nice and easy!

Only issues do far are one hid was plugged in the wrong way( very easy mistake to make with my bizarre ballasts) and it would appear my fogs haven't been reconnected. I know if I was to go back they would sort it but it's no real hassle for me so not fussed. Wouldn't like to have an issue with someone that was 5 hours away!!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well went along to the Boaby Tapp'd RR meet at Extreme in Whitburn today. We last went along as a CS meat last year and this is the graph from then

1e2c5650.jpg

at that point we had just put the 182 manifold on and there wee a couple of teething issues, like a buggered lambda causing a large flat spot just before 4k and generally causing poor running.

Obviously replaced that since then and a wee bit of other tinkering and this was todays results.

ec59997d.jpg

Very happy with that, especially when you consider the only engine mods are an ITG panel filter, 182 manifold, decat and Yozza Stealth. I think its fair to say SWR have got the timing bang on!

And yes I know RR can pick numbers out of the sky but at least it was exactly the same rr and operator.

Cheers
John