ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

project 'showroom' 172 cup

It certainly looks gorgeous having a mint mondial blue Cup, but I personally would prefer to drive mine which is what it was designed for. Its no dig as i'd love a mint standard Cup to use as a normal comfy runaround and have my Cup for when I want to tear it about!

Fair play for all the effort though.

Cup Packed FF200
It certainly looks gorgeous having a mint mondial blue Cup, but I personally would prefer to drive mine which is what it was designed for. Its no dig as i'd love a mint standard Cup to use as a normal comfy runaround and have my Cup for when I want to tear it about!

Fair play for all the effort though.

I totally agree, this sort of car needs to be on the track, after all thats what the cup is all about! hence why I was supposed to be at Curborough in September.

I need to make a decision soon to be honest.

1) Sell cup buy two cars, run around and sprint car.
2) Keep cup for sprints, buy a runaround.
3) Keep cup for road use, buy a sprint car.
4) Keep cup and forget about sprinting it.
5) Keep cup and do some sprints.
6) Sell cup and start another project.

Cup Packed FF200
any underneath pictures?

wouldnt mind seeing how clean it is?

can get some as I did give it a full clean underneath, even removing the exhaust heat shields. It's going to be covered in crap again though now. It's like cleaning the arches, looks immaculate when it's done but after a couple of wet drives it's back to square one...hence why I would like keep it as a dry use only car but thats not going to happen in this country.

Cup Packed FF200
waxoyl may sound stupid, but it says a lot when you go to sell the car

I think your right, it all depends how far you want to take it, whilst is still a road car I don't think I will go much further. I've thought about a lot of approaches to things, having all the body cavities waxed/sprayed, waxoyl the underside etc. Galvanised front subframe helps the front stay corrosion free/tidy. rear arches seem like a weak point and could be an area I'd consider for treatment. I've already had the inner skin of the boot treated/wax sprayed when I had some paint work done.

audi a6 3.0tdi
It would be nice to see some more restoration projects, especially with some older classics like the Williams etc.:cool:

quote]

I'm considering doing my ph1 172 so that in a few years time when there are not many about i'll have an immaculate one. Its not like mine gets driven its just sat in the back yard. I need to build a garge or shelter before i start though as it needs to be in dry storage.

Great work with your car though its very impressive.

Cup Packed FF200
Any advice on changing the fuse box, as mine needs doin badly

I havent actually got round to it yet...doh.

One bit of advice though is mark/label everything up and take some photo's beofre starting...it's messy in there lol

Cup Packed FF200
I'm considering doing my ph1 172 so that in a few years time when there are not many about i'll have an immaculate one. Its not like mine gets driven its just sat in the back yard. I need to build a garge or shelter before i start though as it needs to be in dry storage.

Great work with your car though its very impressive.

Cracking bus this :approve::approve:

Thanks guys

I havent actually got round to it yet...doh.

One bit of advice though is mark/label everything up and take some photo's beofre starting...it's messy in there lol

I dont actualy think mine are all sittin in correctly or in proper order, so feel free to post a pic of what they should look like ;)

ph1 track weapon
need to get mine a lot closer to this stage. bought it a little rough around the edges, and am slowly working towards this level of finish

Cup Packed FF200
I dont actualy think mine are all sittin in correctly or in proper order, so feel free to post a pic of what they should look like ;)
I'll try and get a pic, but depending on which model you have I suspect you are going to see some differences in the fuse box in terms of wiring and relays.

If i was in the market for a cup,then this is what i would hope to find...

Thanks

need to get mine a lot closer to this stage. bought it a little rough around the edges, and am slowly working towards this level of finish

Mine was very rough when I brought it, considering it was low mileage. Just work your way through the bits that need doing. I have to admit the new headlamps and spotlights plus having a few big chips on the front bumper sorted have made it look like new from the front.

Cup Packed FF200
Been out for a spin in the snow and thought a festive shot was in order...Merry Christmas! :)

IMAG0593.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nice :)

Just noticed (not being picky) that the Cup badge is too low on the door, should be about an inch higher

Cup Packed FF200
Nice :)

Just noticed (not being picky) that the Cup badge is too low on the door, should be about an inch higher

Cheers mate

mmmm...Someone has prob had a stab at re-aligning them in the past maybe?. They easily get damaged or vandalised. See what you mean, just never noticed until now tbh.

I have a new set from Renault ready to go if needed, just can't be bothered yet.

2016 Audi RS3
car is lookin mint mate, fair play! i need to replace a few bits on mine, one thing being the inner front arch of the drivers side, its completly snapped! do you know if this comes in separate bits? the bit that has snapped off is the part which kind off protects the underneath of the fog lamp

The bit you are referring to is connected to the arch liner iirc.

172 Ph2
Looks like the levels of blue have been turned up too much on that photo judging by the colour of the snow. Either that or the white balance is out on the Digital Camera

Cup Packed FF200
Have you done some post processing on this photo, with Photoshop for example?

Looks like the levels of blue have been turned up too much on that photo judging by the colour of the snow. Either that or the white balance is out on the Digital Camera

No straight off the phone camera (2MP), just poor levels of colour on the shot, it looked funky so just left it. Only used photoshop to resize it.

Cup Packed FF200
bit of an update for anyone interested..

Next up - rear pads. The current ones were still MOT passable but rather than letting them wear any more I thought I'd get them done out the way...and it was a bad decision on such a cold day :eek:

Looked around and I have always used OMP for most of my upgraded parts, but in the end decided to stick with OE as I managed to get them half price. ;) THey seem to wear well and quality is excellent.

IMAG0614.jpg

What should of been an hour or two's work turned out to be a bit of a pain. Broke one of the split pins (if you can call them that?) which are utter rubbish in design and to be fair I knew these would be a problem after doing this job more than a few times. So decided to swap them out for heavy duty split pins. Some slight shortening of the pins was required but well worth it.

IMAG0621.jpg

IMAG0618.jpg

IMAG0613.jpg

IMAG0616.jpg

IMAG0620.jpg

Next up a colleague of mine has managed to get me a new set of wheel bolts, looking forward to getting these on later. :D

IMAG0622.jpg

Last edited:
i'd just save them to be honest. gives you time to get the right ones, and also stops the salt ruining them before the summer season comes round again. mine look crap, there rusty as hell. i'll prob end up just spraying mine when i get wheels refurbed in the summer.

Cup Packed FF200
New correct pitch bolts on order! Can't wait to get them on - nothing worse than nice wheels with crappy looking bolts.:D