ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

project 'showroom' 172 cup

Cup Packed FF200
Ok, gonna try again tomo with these. :approve:

IMAG0624.jpg

Cup Packed FF200
Just need to give the locking wheel nuts a quick spray of silver hammerite now to tart them up.

IMAG0625.jpg

IMAG0626.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
f**k em off imo! Cause nothing but grief! I sooooo need them wheels. When i had my old Cup, getting new Turinis for it was one of the best things i did! I'll have to do with a refurb now (house saving :()

Cup Packed FF200
f**k em off imo! Cause nothing but grief! I sooooo need them wheels. When i had my old Cup, getting new Turinis for it was one of the best things i did! I'll have to do with a refurb now (house saving :()

Locking wheel bolts are a pain, I just don't over tighten them lol

I agree, new wheels can make a huge difference. ;)

Cup Packed FF200
Cutting a long story short I noticed one of the rear shocks had gone last month on a weekend drive. Having a company car and the clio being in hibernation until the better weather I got round to replacing both rears last week.

Couple of surprises along the way mind.

Someone somewhere along the line had fitted two different shocks, I thought they were both Bilsteins but the one that had gone was not.

After weighing up the options (and I have to say Renaults £60 per shock, inc bushes and dust covers was very reasonable I thought for once) I went for a Bilstein B4 replacement. Used these in the past over standard OE shocks and although not really an uprated shock they do seem to take the punishment and work well.

Only really problems were that the OE Renault dust covers don't fit the shaft from the Bilsteins (Bilstein is thicker dia) so a little modification was required. Plus the top bushes on the under side were both deteriorated, so I had to source these separate as Renault sell them as a kit with the shock...which was annoying!

Just cleaned up and treated the metal tops to the dust covers for good measure.

IMAG0787.jpg

IMAG0789.jpg

IMAG0788.jpg

IMAG0790.jpg

clio 172 cup, aprilia rsv
are your side bullets chromed m8? look very shiny..... i really want to do what your doing with your cup to mine, make it an absolute minter and keep it as std as poss. lets see how much money i can save 1st! doenst need much, wheel refurb and a couple of very minor scratches sorting out, then just clean it and clean it some more!

Cup Packed FF200
are your side bullets chromed m8? look very shiny..... i really want to do what your doing with your cup to mine, make it an absolute minter and keep it as std as poss. lets see how much money i can save 1st! doenst need much, wheel refurb and a couple of very minor scratches sorting out, then just clean it and clean it some more!

No there not chromed mate, I guess there just very clean! :D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Any idea what size the wheel bolts are? That's next on my hit list along with wheel refurb!

Cup Packed FF200
The car will be up for sale soon. To everyone who PM'd me over the last few years asking me to let them know when/if the car comes up for sale here is your opportunity to get in touch before I advertise it.

Cup Packed FF200
Car sold (in one day!) - sad to see it go, was truely one of the best cars I have owned (once I'd finished with it). Thanks to all for all your comments over the last two years.​

200 FF Storm Grey
Looks ace mate, but I don't see the point, car is for driving, not for spending all your time cleaning it to the smallest detail, you're probably at the stage now where you would rather not drive it as it means getting it dirty which I think is a shame!

Don't get me wrong though, I would love an old classic to store and keep in top nick, only bringing out for shows, just think that a 172 isn't the car to do it with.

Edit: O I see you've sold it :( lol, now the 106 rallye I reckon would be something special to do that sort of thing with, I've been toying with the idea of getting one myself or a GT5 turbo.

Monaco 53/468
Sh*t.

I love this car, may have even sold it new myself and would have been VERY ineterested in buying it now. Ah well I was too slow. Nice one James, lovely motor.

Cup Packed FF200
Looks ace mate, but I don't see the point, car is for driving, not for spending all your time cleaning it to the smallest detail, you're probably at the stage now where you would rather not drive it as it means getting it dirty which I think is a shame!

Don't get me wrong though, I would love an old classic to store and keep in top nick, only bringing out for shows, just think that a 172 isn't the car to do it with.

Edit: O I see you've sold it :( lol, now the 106 rallye I reckon would be something special to do that sort of thing with, I've been toying with the idea of getting one myself or a GT5 turbo.

Totally agree. I was one of the original rallye enthusiats if you like, owning 2 over 10 years. The first is still in the family and is a sprint/hill climb car competing in the standard class, will be 20 years old in 2004. The latter I sold for 'a lot' of money a few years back after restoring it to one of the best in the country. I'm sure the guy probably has it tucked away as a future classic. Not sure if I want to do it all over again though. I do think the 172 cup will become a classic, one of the last raw hatches with not much safety to weigh it down. Getting rare to find a good unmolested one now.

Sh*t.

I love this car, may have even sold it new myself and would have been VERY ineterested in buying it now. Ah well I was too slow. Nice one James, lovely motor.

pitty you didn't get in there, i'm sure it was one of the best left.

Evo IX GT, 172 Cup
Sold to me, over the moon with the car, it's a real minter.

James, made the boat with 20 minutes to spare and she ran perfectly the whole way. Got her washed and took the wheels off to clean them when i got her home so don't fear it'll be well looked after!! I think it's time to enjoy it now!!

Cup Packed FF200
Sold to me, over the moon with the car, it's a real minter.

James, made the boat with 20 minutes to spare and she ran perfectly the whole way. Got her washed and took the wheels off to clean them when i got her home so don't fear it'll be well looked after!! I think it's time to enjoy it now!!

Glad you are happy mate. enjoy :approve: