ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Proof that vista is a dogs dinner

Better than yours. C*nt.
See, I can see flaws in every OS, and can see the merits of them all too.
There is no right or wrong answer,

My thoughts:

All Operating Systems are crap; some are just less crap than others at certain things.

Thank you. ;)

Agreed, Microsoft does have difficulties with various things (including taking up 99% of a gig of RAM playing FSX) but then Linux doesn't support half the hardware in my machines, and doesn't have any games (crucial for the long nights at work).

And as for comments of lying about no problems, here's two fingers up at the usual comments people make of Microsoft kit:

For 6 months I've run without a Virusscanner or Firewall on this laptop, and I eventually installed one a couple of days ago. On a FULL scan of my system, all it found was one I knew it would find - the BSOD screensaver. For saying all people seem to moan about Windows/Outlook is that it's full of security holes and lets viruses in, that's not bad going. Especially considered I get around 800 spam emails per day! And the only program I've had crash is Live Messenger Beta, which, as it's a Beta is forgivable. Especially as I have to make it crash by telling it to reconnect and then disconnecting the network...

Not a Clio
Linux doesn't support half the hardware in my machines, and doesn't have any games (crucial for the long nights at work).

Not true! It does have games.

3 "Windows" games that spring to mind that work natively under linux are:

Unreal Tournament 2004
Quake 4
Doom III

The CD/DVD's either have a linux installer on them or you can download the installer (free)

You can also run some other windows games through WINE, Cedega & CrossOver. I have Civilization 4 running through Cedega.

There are a ton of free games and Tux Games (when the site is working) sells games you see under windows for Linux.

You've also got your emulators and roms.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Linux doesn't support half the hardware in my machines, and doesn't have any games (crucial for the long nights at work).

Not true! It does have games.

3 "Windows" games that spring to mind that work natively under linux are:

Unreal Tournament 2004
Quake 4
Doom III

The CD/DVD's either have a linux installer on them or you can download the installer (free)

You can also run some other windows games through WINE, Cedega & CrossOver. I have Civilization 4 running through Cedega.

There are a ton of free games and Tux Games (when the site is working) sells games you see under windows for Linux.

You've also got your emulators and roms.

it would be if it was a windows server....... ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
For 6 months I've run without a Virusscanner or Firewall on this laptop, and I eventually installed one a couple of days ago. On a FULL scan of my system, all it found was one I knew it would find - the BSOD screensaver. For saying all people seem to moan about Windows/Outlook is that it's full of security holes and lets viruses in, that's not bad going. Especially considered I get around 800 spam emails per day! And the only program I've had crash is Live Messenger Beta, which, as it's a Beta is forgivable. Especially as I have to make it crash by telling it to reconnect and then disconnecting the network...

Thats weird.. they did a whole load of tests and put a pc's with a fresh installation of windows xp on the internet to see how long it would take to be hacked.

The average time for the system to be attacked and compromised was 27 minutes.. pmsl

http://tweakhound.com/xp/security/page_1.htm

Revels Mum & Sister

Thats weird.. they did a whole load of tests and put a pc's with a fresh installation of windows xp on the internet to see how long it would take to be hacked.

The average time for the system to be attacked and compromised was 27 minutes.. pmsl

Quick question have you ever been raped by an MS employee?

You seem very bitter and hostile towards MS ;)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Apples reason for moving to Intel was based on Mips/Watt. I believe prior to the day the intel transition was announced, IBM had been promising Apple a laptop version of the G5 for over a year and had failed to give anything satisfactory.

Intels roadmap for future processors completely wiped the floor with intel with regards to mips per watt, given that laptops outsell desktops and with no commitment from IBM it's no wonder that Apple took the decision that it did.

I've used Vista briefly at work to do some tests on software that I write and it annoyed the f**k out of me! The shutdown button going to standby is f**king daft (almost as daft as the idea of "you have to click on start to shutdown the computer" idea introduced in 95!).

The "security" thing that pops up all the time is f**king annoying too, I was trying to delete some files and it was doing its fade in, prompt, fade out thing after every file. Gave me a headache!

It looks pretty, but I've seen it all before, a couple of years back......

Better than yours. C*nt.
The "security" thing that pops up all the time is f**king annoying too, I was trying to delete some files and it was doing its fade in, prompt, fade out thing after every file. Gave me a headache!

It looks pretty, but I've seen it all before, a couple of years back......

First thing I turned off when I installed it... I agree I could see that giving you real ballache.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quick question have you ever been raped by an MS employee?

You seem very bitter and hostile towards MS ;)

Nah not bitter at all, I think there is a place for MS OS's in this world.. they just arnet for me ;)

And was that an offer ?

Iceberg 172
gettingitdone_f.jpg

hah gotta love ms!

I'm not a particular MS fan but I dont have too much of a problem with the OS either. I use win2003 with the majority of services switched off other than what i require. I rarely have any issues with it (touch wood!) because I know what to expect from it. I administer the odd linux server and i've seen plenty of nasty issues with that too. I would never use linux for a home OS because I like to use a gui. I find the linux GUI's add instability and minimise the benefits of using the OS. With both OS's its a case of setting things up properly and knowing its limits.

As for the '27 minutes' before a win system was compromised; thats not a sign of a bad OS, just a stupid user. Its like leaving your linux os with a blank root password on default port. How long until your machine is compromised? The only reason it would take longer is because less people know how to use linux so there are less linux 'rooters'/hackers out there. Windows is targetted for many reasons. One of those is popularity. There are a wide variety of tools for exploiting the various OS's. If you lock down your network security with router etc then you minimise your chances of being compromised. That is a practice which needs to be adhered to whatever the OS. If network security is overlooked then its only a matter of time before your system is compromised.

Back on the subject of Vista. I wont be upgrading due to the increased resource overheads.