ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Proof that vista is a dogs dinner

Windows will always be s**t lol

Always has been and probably always will be!

To you perhaps. To me, it does what I need it to do with no issues at all. Sorted. No need for me to look for something better. Leaves me more wanking time :approve:

I don't understand these threads where people **** off something, call the company shite etc. I don't remember the government ever passing an act that states you HAVE to run a particular operating system. Each variant have its own positives and negatives. The guys that wrote the article is entitled to his opinion, but end of the day I don't understand why hes getting so emotional about it. Maybe MS sacked him or something.

Everyone lays into Windows quoting stability, the vast majority of Windows crashes are due to 3rd party driver code. The Mac doesn't suffer this problem because its pretty much an out-of-the-box product will very little to no way of extending its hardware base. My PC at home is nearly 5 years old, it hasn't suffered one crash yet but is coming to the end of its lift span as it can't meet the needs of todays software. You'll also find most companies running Windows Server with strict change control will tell you they've had very few issues apart from the pain in the arse security patching.

I think the fact Linux is there in the market is a good thing, it increases the need for innovation. Those of you that have stated Microsoft haven't provided any innovation either don't work in IT or are just being ignorant to the fact because its Microsoft. Regarding the Windows interface its pretty much the standard thats here to stay, most Linux flavors I've seen use the 'Windows' type shell and we know 100% they didn't invent it.

dk

911 GTS Cab
hmm, so what processors are macs now using, not pc ones.........

it goes both ways, its all better for the consumer so why care, its only positive change, would you prefer to use a worse version of windows just so they didn't borrow some of the best bits from macs?

Oh my god.. dont think I could have dreamt up a worse statement if I tried lol

PC means personal computer.. it has nothing to do with what architecture your processor is !

MS has nothing to do with the processors or the x86 architecture. Just because they have moved to x86 doesnt mean balls, maybe its a cost issue ? for the record, almost every single CPU architecture performs better per mhz than the x86 architecture.. so in my view it was a bad move by apple.. but hey as I said it may be a lot cheaper for them.

MS dont invent.. they copy others..
not really, a pc has been synonymous with the IBM compatible personal computer invented by IBM, its competitor has been the Apple Mac, when people say PC they mean a Windows/Linux based computer with Intel/AMD architecture, people say do you have a pc or a mac, whether its technically right or not is neither here nor there, lets not pick.

The Core 2 Duo is a great product, dual core, powerful, and low wattage, they didn't go with it because it was sh1t dear boy!

MAC's have taken the best the PC has to offer and the only thing the MAC had was a different operating system that some people like so MS have mixed the best of both worlds there too, look and design of Mac OS and the compatibilty of Windows.

I know you will come back with some c0cky comment but you always will as you worship the non-windows gods, you are a minority and great for you, but I for one have never been able to bring myself to not go with windows when it works perfectly for me and brings me no compatibilty issues like comes with any other operating systems.

I couldn't care less where MS get their ideas either, as long as they bring it to market and make it available to the masses, whos to complain?

dk

911 GTS Cab

PC means personal computer.. it has nothing to do with what architecture your processor is !

MS has nothing to do with the processors or the x86 architecture. Just because they have moved to x86 doesnt mean balls, maybe its a cost issue ? for the record, almost every single CPU architecture performs better per mhz than the x86 architecture.. so in my view it was a bad move by apple.. but hey as I said it may be a lot cheaper for them.

LOL Dave did pwn himself

Considering the old MAC processors were Power PC processors ;)
indeed they were, but there must be a good reason why they have started to offer Core Duo, its what the people want as they want the abilities of the latest pc processors with the look and uniqueness of a MAC, its like being in a special club, what with PC's having vista now though, there is little difference between the two, especially with MAC's now being able to run windows, its all about the design of the products these days and marketing.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Still, looks nice...

and thats why it will be successful.

I was reading an artical that made loads of sense (well to me) about MS.

It basically states a really big fact. It's in the computer industry's and MS to keep inventing software that is more processor intensive. For instance, I don't use Windows XP anymore. I've had windows since Windows 3.0. Recently I started using a flavor of Linux called Ubuntu. Now on Ubuntu I do many things just as fast, if not faster than on XP.

My laptop will run Ubuntu no problems and all the nice things called eye candy (Beryl) etc to make it look just as good as Vista. It's a 3 year old machine! Lol, XP is slow as s**t on it because of stuff like anti-virus etc.....Ubuntu doesn't need this and runs like a monster!

I cant use Vista on my computer (2Ghz/512mb 40gb hdd) very well. I would need to upgrade something. The whole machine or at least the RAM to run Vista. Therefore, all components manufacturers win (excuse the pun), for making upgrade components. Plus, there will be a large number of people who will bin there computer and pop out to PC World to get a new PC just because they think it is obsolete just because it wont run Vista. Thus, making millions of computers out of date overnight when in most cases it wont be..

Thats why I dislike MS because they think we are all fools. People should at least check out an alternative before bowing down to pressure to upgrade to keep up.

Plus, I really don't want to pay for something that can be done better for free!!
i've never paid for windows, it always comes installed on my laptops so why look for a free alternative when i already have the product?

Not a Clio
You pay for it in the price of the machine. Some users have gotten their money back on pre-installed Windows if they haven't used it and removed it straight away.

dk

911 GTS Cab
You pay for it in the price of the machine. Some users have gotten their money back on pre-installed Windows if they haven't used it and removed it straight away.
but if you buy a laptop it will come with it on so how can not using it save you money?

I always buy sony laptops and you can't buy one without windows installed.

dk

911 GTS Cab
oh and the reason there are so many security flaws found in windows is because its the most popular operating system so people are trying to bring it down and as so many people are using it they can attack so many more people, why would anyone want to find a security flaw in linux, if they implemented an attack they wouldn't get as mnay hits as compared to windows very few people are using it.

The biggest player will always get hit the most.

Not a Clio
By not using it you haven't agreed to the Windows licence so if you're lucky you can get a refund on the cost of the OS.

Some places sell laptops without an OS although I agree, I doubt you'd get a sony one without.

oh and the reason there are so many security flaws found in windows is because its the most popular operating system so people are trying to bring it down and as so many people are using it they can attack so many more people, why would anyone want to find a security flaw in linux, if they implemented an attack they wouldn't get as mnay hits as compared to windows very few people are using it.

true, but if you read up on the architecture of a linux based system you'll see it is technically harder to damage a linux box.

You can't really say which one is as you'll find varying reports on the net about which is more secure. From what I can tell theres no outright winner and obviously there are different flavors of Linux, I suspect some are more secure that others,

185lb/ft dCi
Not really, I just think its stupid how people use linux for the first time in their lives while hardly anybody else has used it, so they go shouting their mouths off saying M$ is rubbish.

I agree, same as Xbox360 v PS3, Clio v TypeR, I think there a little bit of the other the person wants but won't admit it.

What puzzles me even more is when someone says "I hate M$" or "f**k Sony, they are c***s" Err, why?

I've used Linux a little bit but found it didn't meet my needs for home as I play a lot of online poker and games, I may use it for a web server though as I mentioned before my home PC is nearing the end of its life.

Fiat Panda 100hp
I admire anyone that can create a OS, so I am not one to criticize. I have just created a program in C++ and it took me ages and a lot of brain power, for me anyways.

its here if you want to see my achievements

Not really, I just think its stupid how people use linux for the first time in their lives while hardly anybody else has used it, so they go shouting their mouths off saying M$ is rubbish.

lol, I've used it for a fair few years, it's just recently I've made a full switch.

I hardly think highlighting an alternative is spouting rubbish. I think being so narrow minded people cant appreciate an alternative is rubbish.

Not a Clio
Macester - MS is rubbish and you're lying if you say that your windows experience is a dream. This isn't my first time with Linux either, as my sole OS I've been using it 14 months and dabbled with it for about 6 months before that.

Spoonie - I think most Linux users have a copy of Windows in their cupboard somewhere, if we wanted to use it we would. I don't know where you get jealousy from... why would we ditch Windows if we secretly want it?

Not even sure how this got onto Linux, the original post was outlining how shite Vista is, it's not saying move to Linux.

185lb/ft dCi
lol, I've used it for a fair few years, it's just recently I've made a full switch.

I hardly think highlighting an alternative is spouting rubbish. I think being so narrow minded people cant appreciate an alternative is rubbish.

Fair play to you. I am not narrow minded like that.

@Violent, stop with this MS is rubbish, because purely and simply it isn't. If it wasn't for them, you probably wouldn't know how to use a computer. If for the first time you used a computer, you used linux, you would be like "ehh whats this crap?!?!".

Anyway I know whats good and whats bad, I'm no novice with these things, I regularly use auditor and backtrack to test systems security and to backup files easier. I agree that linux is good, yes it gets down to business and it does what you want it to do and doesnt have any of these little extra's that hurt your cpu. But then again I don't go round hating microsoft for making a supposedly bad operating system?(not pointed at mells)

Macester - MS is rubbish and you're lying if you say that your windows experience is a dream. This isn't my first time with Linux either, as my sole OS I've been using it 14 months and dabbled with it for about 6 months before that.

Spoonie - I think most Linux users have a copy of Windows in their cupboard somewhere, if we wanted to use it we would. I don't know where you get jealousy from... why would we ditch Windows if we secretly want it?

Not even sure how this got onto Linux, the original post was outlining how s**te Vista is, it's not saying move to Linux.
I think you should maybe reread my responses, I haven't told anyone to move to Windows. I've given my reasons for not using Linux and I feel they are valid.

I far from hate MS. I have used it for years. I grew up with it and have every copy of windows back to Windows 3.0 in my draw (I'm quite proud of that!!), bar Windows 2000 Server edition. I have random versions of NT ffs.

I've just become more hypercritical in my old age. Put it this way. I used to use windows at home and I am forced to use it at work. Now, I am just forced to use it at work.

This is a massive debate. I'm not anti Microsoft, I've just made an educated decision to stop using it at home. I think MS do allot of good in the world i.e the Gates foundation, but also do allot of bad i.e. some of their business practices e.g. Netscape saga etc.

Anyway, thats off topic. I do think that the review in the original thread probably is written by a Mac or Linux fanboy. I'm sure there is top quality parts to Vista - there should be becuase MS spent billions of $ on it.

A random point: It will be interesting in the future with regards to MS as China gets more and more of an economy and technology spreads through the rest of the developing world how MS will fair. It's a well documented issue but China is far from happy with letting MS develop products for China due to the close-source status.

T

thecremeegg

Its not a case of "being able to chose" because you cant....install linux and you need a computer degree to use it, plus because work/uni etc will all use office it'll be incompatible and can't play games
I'm not slating microsoft for the sake of it, it just annoys me that with so much money they produce such laclustre software year on year, and then charge you ridiculous money for the privilege. Fair enough if windows was working properly out of teh box, but its not - its full of design flaws and security loopholes, the sort that should be fixed prior to release. If microsoft bothered to code things properly then Vista would be brilliant - as it stands, its not

Deleted - I'm not getting into debating with people have no evidence to back up their arguments other than what they've read on the web

Last edited:
  Revels Mum & Sister
Its not a case of "being able to chose" because you cant....install linux and you need a computer degree to use it, plus because work/uni etc will all use office it'll be incompatible and can't play games
I'm not slating microsoft for the sake of it, it just annoys me that with so much money they produce such laclustre software year on year, and then charge you ridiculous money for the privilege. Fair enough if windows was working properly out of teh box, but its not - its full of design flaws and security loopholes, the sort that should be fixed prior to release. If microsoft bothered to code things properly then Vista would be brilliant - as it stands, its not

LOL I dont think you appreciate the monster task that goes into a perfect OS. In a perfect world then yes it would NEVER need an update or to be fixed.

Same with cars in an ideal world a ferrari would NEVER break down or need improving/changing/fixing. But it does LOL.

Thats life

Plus if your that bothered about it why did you buy a clio ;) Because it met your needs!

Bumder With A Buffer
Jesus!!!

Calm down ladies!! Its only an operating system (maybe crap but who cares)
If you havent experienced something how can you slate it? Like s**ging a "rather large" lady! I aint done it so dunno if I like it!!

At the end of the day every1 has there way of doing things dont they?! You like blondes or brunettes, Windows/linux, Clio's/saxo's etc!

Personally i dont like windows, it does what what i need it to do, play games internet etc, but not sure about all this linux thing (I dont like change! im local!) and i wouldnt discourage any1 from buying/using it. I would however love Billy boys money for selling a product that every1 hates!! (or so it seems)

I think a "Operating System" celebrity deathmatch is in order here!

T

thecremeegg

LOL I dont think you appreciate the monster task that goes into a perfect OS. In a perfect world then yes it would NEVER need an update or to be fixed.

I do appreciate the work, but im sorry 5 years and they cant get it near perfect? its a joke. they can hire who they want and yet it still ends up being XP with a few different features!

Anyways

that was a fun argument lol

R

rich[182]

lol @ all the anti-MS people arround, who by the way are prob running a PC on XP to post in this very thread, and may even own a 360
www.fickle.com is where its at;)

Mitsubishi Colt
I reckon Vista would have Linux in the twisties though....

For what it's worth, I'm running Ubuntu on my good lady's laptop, XP Tablet on my Tablet and Vista on the box I'm using now. Each does what we want it to do and suits our needs pretty damn well.

Unbuntu won't stream to my 360 how I'd like, whereas Vista and XP would kill the laptop. I'm happy, hope you're all happy too....

I do appreciate the work, but im sorry 5 years and they cant get it near perfect? its a joke. they can hire who they want and yet it still ends up being XP with a few different features!

Anyways

that was a fun argument lol

Have you actually used it? Its not on sale until the end of the month so I doubt you and many of the others on here have. You have no argument.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

not really, a pc has been synonymous with the IBM compatible personal computer invented by IBM, its competitor has been the Apple Mac, when people say PC they mean a Windows/Linux based computer with Intel/AMD architecture, people say do you have a pc or a mac, whether its technically right or not is neither here nor there, lets not pick.

But if I didnt nit pick i wouldnt have anything to do at work all day !

The Core 2 Duo is a great product, dual core, powerful, and low wattage, they didn't go with it because it was sh1t dear boy!

didnt say the duo core was s**t lol.. i said mhz for mhz other architectures were more powerfull.

MAC's have taken the best the PC has to offer and the only thing the MAC had was a different operating system that some people like so MS have mixed the best of both worlds there too, look and design of Mac OS and the compatibilty of Windows.

You mean they stole the whole windows, icons, pointer etc.. yep they did do that.. there is also the fact that everything on osx Just Works TM

I know you will come back with some c0cky comment but you always will as you worship the non-windows gods, you are a minority and great for you, but I for one have never been able to bring myself to not go with windows when it works perfectly for me and brings me no compatibilty issues like comes with any other operating systems.

I couldn't care less where MS get their ideas either, as long as they bring it to market and make it available to the masses, whos to complain?

Baaa !!! ;)

Bumder With A Buffer
I reckon Vista would have Linux in the twisties though....

For what it's worth, I'm running Ubuntu on my good lady's laptop, XP Tablet on my Tablet and Vista on the box I'm using now. Each does what we want it to do and suits our needs pretty damn well.

Unbuntu won't stream to my 360 how I'd like, whereas Vista and XP would kill the laptop. I'm happy, hope you're all happy too....

No your drunk!!! ; )

Lets all hug!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Not true in the slightest.. the entire OS design (based of a 35 year old unix os) is inherintly more secure by design. I wont go into specifics as its a far too boring read but trust me when I say it is !

Also the server market is dominated by linux and unix.. and server systems with static IP's are the ones that get targeted for attack the most.. but its always the windows servers going down quicker than the titanic lol

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Not even sure how this got onto Linux, the original post was outlining how s**te Vista is, it's not saying move to Linux.

Im so proud my young padewan... your training is now complete..

T

thecremeegg

Spoonie;2359095l[/quote said:
Have you actually used it? Its not on sale until the end of the month so I doubt you and many of the others on here have. You have no argument.

I've used vista corporate.....