ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

really at a loss now! please help :(

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I had a similar problem with my cup, turned out to be the pre-cat lambda, so I'd change that first mate

clio 172 phase 2
I have this problem also , the code reader said that my injector 4 wasnt working , replaced that but the car is still the same loss of power and not so good mpg changed the pre cat lambda last september for a new one . Possible for it to fail again?

Black Gold Trophy
First thing I normally do in this instance is whip the plugs out and have a look at them. Their appearance will usually give you an idea of how the engines running, you can then proceed with your diagnostics with a more educated idea of what's going on.
I've known 1*2s not even store a fault code for an O2 sensor, but if you look at the wave form on a decent diagnostic tool, you can see that the sensor is faulty.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Changed the lambda sensor and all 4 of my plugs are covered in black soot now (brand new ones!).

I've given up on it now and having to wait to book it into a local auto electrician.

clio 172 phase 2
Changed my plugs the other day , all where fine apart from number 4 as i hve a rocker cOver leak there was oil on the plug but none on the electrode . Dont think thats my problem . Guna clea. My tdc sensor 2moro

Black Gold Trophy
Changed the lambda sensor and all 4 of my plugs are covered in black soot now (brand new ones!).

I've given up on it now and having to wait to book it into a local auto electrician.

Were they fitted at the same time as the O2 sensor? If not clean them off with a wire brush and refit.
Is it still misfiring?

Black Gold Trophy
Frequently referred to as a lambda sensor, one before the cat, one after.

Just been reading your other thread, it appears all this occured after disconnecting the battery?

Were all the plugs sooted up? Were there 1 or 2 that looked any different?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ah. Yeah I got 3 off a member on here to try. They were all clean when he gave them me, they're covered in black soot now!

And yeah, still badly misfiring and overfuelling. GRIM

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Checked CTS. didn't check the MAP sensor. It's going in for a proper diagnostics hopefully this week. Mates laptop and 'palmer engineering' program didn't give us any errors and neither did another 'MAC Tools' diagnostic plug in thingy.

Will let you know what happens.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
From what I've read the CTS, thermostat won't throw up a fault code. Be good to know the outcome to this, there are so many threads on 182 missfire problems at the moment. Shame you can't borrow a known working MAP sensor

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
From what I've read the CTS, thermostat won't throw up a fault code. Be good to know the outcome to this, there are so many threads on 182 missfire problems at the moment. Shame you can't borrow a known working MAP sensor

Yeah I've got my own thread all about this, I'll be putting up the solution IF I ever find it! No one seems to bother putting up the solutions on these threads! Highly annoying!

Big thanks to 'kev 3dr' who lent me the lambdas and his diagnostic tool, proper sound guy and also to mickstoke (Craig and Mick) who's supplied me with bits all weekend too at a phonecall's notice! Shame it's not fixed yet but there's so many bloody sensors and possibilities with cars nowadays (god I sound old saying that!) that I'm not gonna waste any more time/money/sanity replacing parts by trial and error and see what my auto electrician whizz diagnoses. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Keep me informed on this as I have exact same symptoms, and I've changed my lambda. Mine only rears its head if I pass 5k revs, drive it below that and its runs as normal, apart from 30mpg on motorway run. Not too far from you either at Haydock

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Keep me informed on this as I have exact same symptoms, and I've changed my lambda. Mine only rears its head if I pass 5k revs, drive it below that and its runs as normal, apart from 30mpg on motorway run. Not too far from you either at Haydock

Mine's other way round. It's lumpy as frig at idle but will rev up to the redline but splutters after and eventually stalls. It's undriveable. If my garage manages to suss it I'll let you know.

I have the same symptoms too on start up on occasion. It idles at 500rpm proper chug chug, foot down it'll clear its throat to redline then stall. Sometimes its taken best part of 5mins to get it going again

Clio 172 PH2
Poor connection or bad (dirty) earth on the fuel rail? contmaination into the elctrical connectors? Have you had a global test on the ECU's?

had mine read (proper equipment) all it threw up was lambda, but only when the fault occurred. Had EML light flashing for about 30 secs when stationary in traffic every other journey, but ECU never logged anything from it

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Had it booked in tomorrow for a proper diagnostic, but then my mate has rung to tell me he's done something with the MAP sensor and worked out that it's that which is the cause!!!! buying a new one on eBay now from renparts and im 99% sure that this will cure it!!!!