ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault just told me its an Import

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
When i bought it the Garage told explictly that it wasnt.
i have been insuring it as a UK car for the last 12 months.

This morning Renault told me it was an import.

FFS.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
^^^lmfao and free sky tv! and it will be able to bring other imports with it

Lee

BMW M2C
The insurance won't make any difference, it's full UK spec I'd think. Parallel imports aren't a problem with insurance. The fact the garage would have charged you more than it's worth is what would have bothered me.

My 172 was an import from Motorpoint. When I chopped it in I was given £1k less than a UK car, but as I'd paid so much less it was still a good deal. The dealer didn't sell it on, instead sending it to another part of the network that don't sell just UK Renaults.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Just make sure you've got an alarm, insurance assumes you do on a 172.

cock mobile.
Just make sure you've got an alarm, insurance assumes you do on a 172.

Indeed.

And it's likely to be an after market alarm so best tell the insurance company this.

Chances are they know it's a import from the reg anyway.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
my old one was renault could never find it on there systems just never had the alarm.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
its got the standard alarm, not an extra.

yeh i did pay over the odds, cant believe i believe them when they said it wasnt!

Lee

BMW M2C
its got the standard alarm, not an extra.

yeh i did pay over the odds, cant believe i believe them when they said it wasnt!

Maybe they got it wrong? Although there are alarms which will work with the original key, so it's not just the Cobra ones Renault install at the import centre.

Has it got National Security Register stickers in the windows? Imports don't have those.

Meg 250/E36 Touring
HPI check would confirm..

If any categories say 'data not confirmed' then its def an import.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Locking wheel nuts? Check in the owners pack if it has a document in french, import certificate I think.

When i bought it the Garage told explictly that it wasnt.

In that case they have misrepresented the car.

Tell them you have taken legal advice and they have two options - either take the car back and return your money (rescinding the contract) or refund the difference between an import and a UK car, otherwise you will be taking them to the small claims court under the Misrepresentation Act 1967 s.2(2).
Basically if they make a representation to you and it turns out to be false, if you assert that the statement induced you to purchase the car (ie if you had known it to be an import you would not have bought) you can rescind the contract or claim damages.

Its likely when they hear that they will try and work something out to recompense you, which is best because going to court can be a real pain.

BMW M135i
If its got the Alarm, Locking Nuts and Etched glass i'd say theres a fair chance renault have got it wrong.

Trophy #267
indeed, they have inbuilt immobiliser as standard but not alarmm these are fitted when they enter the country.
If it has alarm + locking wheel nuts + etched glass then it maybe renaults mistake telling you (gosh i dont belive that...) altho wheel nuts arent difficult to retro fit :)
Unless you have in writing that you were told the car was not an import i dont see how u can challenge it tho, if you have then I'd go ape at wherever you bought it

B

Ben^

I work for a car supermarket and (not that I am sticking up for them) i'm sure that the salesperson probably didnt know anything about it been an import although he should have gone and checked with the buyers/salesmanagers to confirm it wasnt.

If it is and import then you will most likley have a piece of paper called a Certificate of Conformity (COC). If you do then it is definatley and import - to give u an idea of the difference in price we took in a 53 plate 172 with 45k on the clock which was an import and gave hime £4800, my 02 plate 172 with 47k which is not an import is worth 5100 (retail) so the difference shouldnt be that bad (i'm sure dealers will play on the fact it is an import but to try and haggle you down).

I agree with the guy about the misrepresentation act, write them a letter regarding the fact you were told this and I am fairly confident they will offer you and out of court settlement as they dont like these things going public.

Good Luck mate.

I think the car sounds fit for purpose. You've only just noticed after owning it for 12 months etc. At the end of the day if you didnt want an import you should have taken more precautions before handing over your cash i.e. checked the 10s of threads on here telling you how you spot one.

I think you'll get nowhere trying to get any money back/refund.

Sorry to sound harsh, but garages are slippery buggers at the best of times. They wont be interested at all once they have your cash imo.

Sorry to sound harsh, but garages are slippery buggers at the best of times. They wont be interested at all once they have your cash imo.

Very true, but i always think its worth a shot.
You never know until you try and all that...

LY V6 with Recaros
They could well have got it wrong, they tried telling me mine is an import just because I bought it from an internet broker and they wanted me to buy a car from him. I know full well it isn't an import, but they tried telling me I have no warrenty or alarm. Which I have!

Clio 197 R27
For the records guys there is an import one at Arnold Clark in wigan (well it was 2 weeks ago when i went) a red 172 cup

Ad

MK2 FRS
^ cant be a cup if its red.

As said, its not the end of the world, I rang Renault Customer services to check my 172/182 and 225 were all UK cars.

Iceburg 172FF
I just noticed I have a document in french in my glove box, certifcate of import....didnt show up on the HPI check I did when I got it. Has alarm etc, but didnt have locking nuts when I got it from Arnold clark so I got them to throw some in thinking nothing of it. Might write them a letter! :(

172 ph2
This is probably going to sound like a ridiuclous question but... how can you tell if you have an alarm ?

When I got mine it was stated to be a 'European' Vehicle and they told me that was because it was original registered in Ireland.

It doesn't bring up the car on registration searches on insurance sites etc for mine.

Iceburg 172FF
This is probably going to sound like a ridiuclous question but... how can you tell if you have an alarm ?

When I got mine it was stated to be a 'European' Vehicle and they told me that was because it was original registered in Ireland.

It doesn't bring up the car on registration searches on insurance sites etc for mine.

Good question......Mine hasnt actually gone off, but locks with the key etc.....Gonna go outside and kick it to see if it goes off :evil:

Edit: Not gone off, kicked it slapped it, sat inside it with it locked and jumped about.....Bugger lol

Last edited:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member

Alarm sensor thingys near the visors

Cupped 182
I took my 172 to the local Renault dealer/service centre in Brighton for some minor routine stuff recently & enquired about px'ing it- I was offered an insulting £2700!

The thing I was curious about though, was that they told me they could tell it was an import (this I knew) by the fact that it was Monaco blue- they said this colour was never a UK option. Does anyone know if this is true?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I took my 172 to the local Renault dealer/service centre in Brighton for some minor routine stuff recently & enquired about px'ing it- I was offered an insulting £2700!

The thing I was curious about though, was that they told me they could tell it was an import (this I knew) by the fact that it was Monaco blue- they said this colour was never a UK option. Does anyone know if this is true?

b****cks

There are/were 468 UK Monaco Blue ph2 172s

FF 172
so it`s an import, so is mine, i knew before i bought it, it was significantly cheaper than other 04 cars and it had a motorpoint tax disc holder in the screen, i was told by the seller, (Sara Cox) in Notts i think i got a very good deal on mine partly because i paid cash, went for a no p/x and partly because i asked for extra money off for locknuts and warranty etc etc mine has a Sigma cat 1 alarm and a certificate and it works! i left the missus in the car and switched it on when she moved.... sh*t was she pi55ed off with me :D
The suppliying dealer was from Paris.
It`s all good for me.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
YM

i wouldnt have bought it if i had known it was cos of the dificulties with reselling etc.

basically i bought a uk spec inport for UK car money, thats the deal. wheather the dealer knew it or not i specifically asked them to check and they said it was a UK car.