ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Robs Crash

Clio 172mk2
yer rob, it was def more then 2 rolls matey , least where ok though ,

1.2 i`ll belive that when i see it ;)

Clio 197
Glad everyone's ok.

As for people speculating about the vehicle's speed:

Don't forget that we're accustomed to the grippy surface of the road (even in the wet believe it or not), and we're accustomed to being able to brake/steer a vehicle in order to control it. In a car such as the 172/182, control is an absolute doddle at 40MPH (in normal conditions)...

...but when you lose all grip, even 30MPH car be pretty fast... and ultimately the car's energy HAS to be transferred/transformed somehow.

Furthermore, MOST of a vehicle's design strength is in its crumple zones (ie front/rear impacts) therefore when you roll a vehicle it dissipates energy in a very different way to how its been designed. Body parts can easily become dislodged in such an accident.

So we must look at it from that point of view (ie total loss of grip + an unfortunate body roll), rather than normal conditions (normal grip, and your typical accident damage).

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I wish I has taken a pic of the road further up where rob started to lose control.

He was fighting with it for a while to keep it on the road.

The road had embedded mud, greese from salt, loose gravel ,also looked abit oily but not sure. The police man also said there were patches of black ice.

End of the day we were still driving too fast for the conditions but was just unlucky as we turned a corner at hit a horrible patch of road. :-(

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
have a word with the farmer as its iligal sp* to leave mud on the rd, you have to have signs up to warn of it

Clio Billabong 1.2
Glad everyone's ok.
Was it just the one car that lost control then?
Or did everyone slow down immediately after they saw Rob's car out of control?

Clio 197
I wish I has taken a pic of the road further up where rob started to lose control.

The road had embedded mud, greese from salt, loose gravel ,also looked abit oily but not sure. The police man also said there were patches of black ice.

End of the day we were still driving too fast for the conditions but was just unlucky as we turned a corner at hit a horrible patch of road. :-(

That can only be confirmed by the driver of the wrecked vehicle. If he'd already encountered icy/muddy patches on that road, then perhaps one could say so...

...but if it had been clear all the way up to that point, he may have had good reasons to believe that the conditions were OK - see what I mean?

If the windscreen were dirty or there were some glare from the sun, then he may not have seen the muddy patch early enough to react.

Regardless, it doesn't necessarily mean that the speed limits were broken... but there's certainly a lesson to be learnt somewhere.

Drive safely folks.

EDITED.

Last edited:
  mini cooper (RIP 172)
only seemed like two rolles, i was sure i was gona save it, but i just had no control of the car!

i'm sure if the mud was not on the road i'd not of lost it, but it was and i did!

just think we are lucky to walk a way from it!

thanks for everyone for helpping me out, big thanks to rick and gem (and the other fairy;))

and for eveyone thats had been asking, car's still in the field so if bits go missing i'll know who it was;)

i'm just letting the insurance company sort it out, so not selling any bits! but i did save the mats:rasp:

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
nasty. Glad to hear everyone is ok though. I know its easy to say after the event, but if the road was really that muddy and conditions that bad why didn't you all just slow down a bit?

Leon Cupra 300
Me and Mr Fuel Slut were follwing pretty close behind! We spotted the mud and slowed down, as we were slowing we saw Rob's back end go rite out (heading straight towards a tree the other side of the road) obviously hitting that is not an option, then it flicked back the other way and into the verge. If you look in the last picture rite at the bottom you can see bits of splitter where it first went off. Then him and poor Carl were just passengers and were lucky to come out with just minor injuries.

mini cooper (RIP 172)
road was a bit wet ect before, but no mud! so i was not driving silly fast!

then mud every where from the entrance to the field, just at a little bend in the road.

think i must of backed off seeing the mud, so the back end came out a bit, was coming to a give way so prob startting to slow from that as well!

lets face it, i was goin to fast, if i was doin 20mph the car would be fine, just a little muddy:eek:

i'm sure i was not speeding tho!

Hyundai i40
Just out of interest, when the police turned up did they say anything about the face there was so many clios around?

I have to say I didn't notice the blood first time around!

for some reason as soon as i saw everyone was out of the car, my mind went straight to getting as many cars as possible out of the way, it wouldnt have looked good for rob, and we'd prolly have all got breathalised, and our tyre treads checked and documentation.

f**k that s**t.

i felt like s**t driving away from a blood stained rob though.

you did well Harry thinking straight.....best way is to only leave a few ppl then it doesn look like everyones been racing! even tho u werent police wud have put 2 and 2 together!

and takes the pressure off Rob if the police intergate him about racing

Recaro'd 182
there was a 172 that got ritten off on the backroads near me, after 2 days it was stripped! alloys the lot. there are alot of pikies around! save what you can i say, if u dont someone else will.

End of the day glad you both ok! looking at the pictures a second time makes me wonder how the hell you walked out.

mini cooper (RIP 172)
just seen this pic, thats head blood :D

also looks like a shat my self:eek:

P1010911.jpg

alien green rs133
only seemed like two rolles, i was sure i was gona save it, but i just had no control of the car!

i'm sure if the mud was not on the road i'd not of lost it, but it was and i did!

thanks for everyone for helpping me out, big thanks to rick and gem (and the other fairy;))

and for eveyone thats had been asking, car's still in the field so if bits go missing i'll know who it was;)

i'm just letting the insurance company sort it out, so not selling any bits! but i did save the mats:rasp:

who wants to collect the bumpers for me??? ;)

glad your ok fella, considering

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
s**t!! Really shocked to see this, I guess it's just that time of year when the unfortunate is even more likely. I hope you guys start to recover in time for Christmas.

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
bloody hell, glad you are both ok, such a shame and could have happened to anyone :( has definitely put me in two minds now about a meet i was gonna go to just after xmas around the yorkshire dales!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Holy sh1t on a stick. Thats a big one.
Very pleased to hear you guys got out and are fully intact.

On the plus side you get a 9.5 for car part distribution, a 9.0 for flips done and a 9.0 for your landing.
You lose style points as the thing is a touch muddy.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!

who wants to collect the bumpers for me??? ;)

glad your ok fella, considering

ill go, i already have the exhaust off and hidden just incase they think it fell off in the crash.

I noticed the airbag on the steering wheel didnt go off. Thats not very re assuring lol, Bloody lucky though!

It doesn't automatically go off every crash (as that could potentially cause more injuries), you need a reasonably hefty front collision to trigger the steering wheel bag. From the description of the crash it sounded like only the side bags were needed, which are what triggered by the looks of the pics.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!

something like this?
DSC01033.gif

Those tyre marks make it look like it was already out of control before it hit that mud.

Either that or they are from something else

Leon Cupra 300
The mud was about 100 yards futher back on the road... The mud you see there was from hitting the bank with his front end!