ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rota Wheels...

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
TBH they look half way between CR's and a set of Mugen MF10's but not a copy of either ;)

Lulz, answer for everything ;)

I'm looking at Enkei's now - quite fancy a set for the Trophy, lol.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
No one is saying you should buy new... Let's compare for example.... Rota d1's

View attachment 70763

Which are a copy of work Meisters or ssr professors.... They even have fake split rim bolts on the rotas.... Now in an 18" with rubber you are probably looking at 1100-1200 quid....

Now for 1000 I can buy a genuine set of ssr professors in mint condition with nearly new rubber....

View attachment 70764

They are lighter, stronger... And if I dent a lip I can buy a new lip or barrel lol...

Come on, no one would actually buy those rims, look at them! They're horrific lol

As I still say, I am uneducated on this subject, and I am merely asking questions, not stating my opinion (as I have no knowledge to base one) I think the reason I made this thread was because of the fact all I hear from the JDM Boys is that Rota's are "poor quality and will snap if I look at them the wrong way". I Was merely intruiged as to see if this was fact. TBH Im not convinced there are any issues with the quality of Rotas, I've seen a few pictures over and over, with no evidence or information as to what happened. Likewise, I've seen broken/Snapped/Cracked Genuine Rays Rims, again with no information or evidence as to what happened. I dare say if I looked deep enough, I'd find failures of every single wheel ever produced. I was only interested/concerned by the quality of the wheel, not because I was necessarily a potential customer, but because I am a nosey bleeder. I was curious to see how a company as big as Rota, who are lets facing, selling fairly expensive wheels (Copied design or not, they are far from "cheap") where still in business, when their failure rate was supposedly so high. In all fairness, I've seen nothing to suggest the quality of Rotas is poor, and for every image of a broken/bent one with no history, theres 1000's of happy customers.

I think the main issue with Rota's seems to be not the quality, but its the principle and fact they copy other rim designs. I can appreciate why people (especially owners of the genuine articles) would get annoyed. I can appreciate that 100%. Im by no means rich, and I remember saving up for what seemed like an enternity a few years back to buy a Stone Island Coat which was £899, a collosal amount to me. I saved and bought it and loved it, but I started seeing a few fakes at car boot sales etc and it took the shine off it.

The reason people buy them is because as is becoming abundantly clear in this thread that people are cheap. If they can rock some automotive bling that looks expensive to the man on the street they care not about the quality of the item nor the ethics of the company selling it.

I've read countless threads over the years about Rota failures and the minor incidents or in the case of the warped pics I've posted in the last couple of pages simply the heat generated by brakes plus some heavy breaking and cornering loads resulting in that outcome. As for the pics of genuine wheels with smashed rims the only threads with any info I've seen related to massive impacts along with a picture of the crater responsible for the damage. All it takes is trolls or Rota owners looking to get their own back on the ballers and you get the meme like pictures of the original wheels plus captions.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
rwbmeet_93.jpg

Horrible wheels though.... Yeh you are right.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Are £400's worth of team dynamics going to be better made than £400's worth of rotas? Both similar prices, both round things you stick rubber on, yet no one worries about the quality of team dynamics...

No they are equally as s**t. But! They don't copy other companies!!!
Oh dear now you are just clutching to straws...

I suppose the only reason this car runs Pro Race alloys is because they are cheap right? 180-200mph car cheap crap wheels?? Hmmmmmm.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?601849-NSX-Update

No you are clutching.... I know robs other nsx has stupidly amazing wheels on it.... There for you loose.... Like how u avoided the xs power question... Joker,

I don't understand your argument. Ant wasn't talking about Robs other NSX, he was talking about the one pictured. With TD wheels on it. And its as close to a supercar as can be. IIRC, the wheels have never fallen off or disintegrated at 44mph.

There is nothing wrong with team dynamics quality.... They are a quality wheel... Made in the uk to original designs.... The bit that annoys me about them is the "lightweight" badge they carry.... My enkei's with rubber on weigh a small amount more than a team dynamic without rubber lol... Not really lightweight!

Well I have proved what I wanted to prove aint the right Mr Back Track! Don't know your arse from your elbow :rasp:

pretty bored of this now it happened every other day on driftworks and now its starting on here YAWN!

your not wrong but baiting is fun ;-)

I still love how Ant's Rotas spend more time on track than the road, like that means they're somehow taking a massive beating. You driven our roads recently? More likely to damage wheels on the roads than on a track.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I still love how Ant's Rotas spend more time on track than the road, like that means they're somehow taking a massive beating. You driven our roads recently? More likely to damage wheels on the roads than on a track.

Not valid lad when you are bouncing off the concrete rumble strips not including the offs!

Also I used the silver one 80 miles per day on s**t UK roads for 6 months... Still in one piece.

Last edited:
The offs, nothing more than sliding across some grass, gravel or maybe a bit of tarmac.

Most UK circuits don't have ridiculous bumps, besides bouncing off them doesn't tend to be the quickest ;)

I've said this countless times but when I smashed up 2 Regamasters it was enough to crack a driveshaft, bend a subframe and controls arms, and take a chunk out of a solid concrete kerb. The wheels were bent but still held air and got me home. I guarantee Rota Slipstreams wouldn't have taken that. Not at all. They would have shattered and I'd have had an even bigger bill to pay.

You can harp on about quality and how yours haven't broke blah blah blah day in day out, fact is the originals will always be a better quality. You can't escape that. Personally I've never been to fussed for the quality arguement, but I've been dragged in through my own personal experience.

The other argument of "scene" boys don't like people copying, well that cracks me up. There's only a finite number of wheels and mods to a car, and at some point somewhere somebody will do the same. It happens. f**k me, this is the forum that at one point berates everybody for being sheep, then the next is celebrating how good clios look with the same mods.

What sucks is that Rota and the like can get away with ripping off designs and people support them "Because they're cheap innit". Eventually, the big companies will go tits up and then what? Rota will get their copies copied and it starts again and the cycle continues. It's s**t.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
The offs, nothing more than sliding across some grass, gravel or maybe a bit of tarmac.

Most UK circuits don't have ridiculous bumps, besides bouncing off them doesn't tend to be the quickest ;)

I've said this countless times but when I smashed up 2 Regamasters it was enough to crack a driveshaft, bend a subframe and controls arms, and take a chunk out of a solid concrete kerb. The wheels were bent but still held air and got me home. I guarantee Rota Slipstreams wouldn't have taken that. Not at all. They would have shattered and I'd have had an even bigger bill to pay.

You can harp on about quality and how yours haven't broke blah blah blah day in day out, fact is the originals will always be a better quality. You can't escape that. Personally I've never been to fussed for the quality arguement, but I've been dragged in through my own personal experience.

The other argument of "scene" boys don't like people copying, well that cracks me up. There's only a finite number of wheels and mods to a car, and at some point somewhere somebody will do the same. It happens. f**k me, this is the forum that at one point berates everybody for being sheep, then the next is celebrating how good clios look with the same mods.

What sucks is that Rota and the like can get away with ripping off designs and people support them "Because they're cheap innit". Eventually, the big companies will go tits up and then what? Rota will get their copies copied and it starts again and the cycle continues. It's s**t.
#

I never said that they where equal to the originals because they are clearly not. One close up & weight gives that away, my point is they still function fine.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Surely, If I was My Ray, Mr Volk, Mr BBS, Id be spending a considerable amount of money making sure that my stuff cant be copied?

Without sounding condesending, it serves them right going bust if they are not putting the necessary patents or copywrights in place to avoid this happening?

Surely, If I was My Ray, Mr Volk, Mr BBS, Id be spending a considerable amount of money making sure that my stuff cant be copied?

Without sounding condesending, it serves them right going bust if they are not putting the necessary patents or copywrights in place to avoid this happening?

LOL. All the companies have to do is slightly alter the design and it matters s**t.

#

I never said that they where equal to the originals because they are clearly not. One close up & weight gives that away, my point is they still function fine.

There's functioning "fine" and there's functioning "as well". Slipstreams might have functioned fine in my example, but they wouldn't have functioned "as well" as the Regas. That to me is the reason I buy the proper thing everytime. That's not just wheels, that's decent branded suspension, brakes, components etc.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Not a dig Gaz, you know I <3 you, but if you are so concerned about the big companies going tits up then why aren't you buying wheels new rather than second hand?

In fact, how many of the guys in here buy their 'real' wheels brand new?

Sadly it's not quite as easy as that, you've got costly legal action which could be enough to bring down the companies making the real deal. Not to mention that if you're in Japan and Rota are in the philippines where the local government are most likely not going to be overly bothered about prosecuting or shutting down a local company to protect one overseas then you're s**t out of luck. The fact that they don't ship wheels with stickers or branding of the original items that they might escape prosecution on those grounds despite as the pics I've posted show they're blatant copies of all the known quality Japanese brands.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
There's functioning "fine" and there's functioning "as well". Slipstreams might have functioned fine in my example, but they wouldn't have functioned "as well" as the Regas. That to me is the reason I buy the proper thing every time. That's not just wheels, that's decent branded suspension, brakes, components etc.

Yeah that's where we are different, I have always been one to prove the underdog is just as good as the real thing, bit like a Evo vs 911.

Unfortuntaly I listen to feedback from people who have actually used/owned modifications such as brakes & suspension on not gone with something just because it has a badge or "my mate says"

I'm lucky enough to have used many different variants of suspension, brakes, wheels and other bits and I run BC coilovers, K-Sport Brakes, and Rota wheels because they offer me what the more £££ gives. Simples, for example I had my 14 month ohlins rebuilt due to failure after 5k miles!!! My BC coilovers aren't as smooth but done 6k and not a squeak.

Not a dig Gaz, you know I <3 you, but if you are so concerned about the big companies going tits up then why aren't you buying wheels new rather than second hand?

In fact, how many of the guys in here buy their 'real' wheels brand new?

Because still buy the genuine stickers, caps etc which is still money in their pockets.

The Regas are discontinued, so they can't be bought new. My Meisters, yeah I could have bought them new but TBH for me that's madness when I can refurbish wheels properly for nothing. They'll need the sticker set and caps though, which will cost £100+ at least.

I priced up XD9s a few months back and I would have happily paid that price new, which was well over £2k.

Yeah that's where we are different, I have always been one to prove the underdog is just as good as the real thing, bit like a Evo vs 911.

Unfortuntaly I listen to feedback from people who have actually used/owned modifications such as brakes & suspension on not gone with something just because it has a badge or "my mate says"

I'm lucky enough to have used many different variants of suspension, brakes, wheels and other bits and I run BC coilovers, K-Sport Brakes, and Rota wheels because they offer me what the more £££ gives. Simples, for example I had my 14 month ohlins rebuilt due to failure after 5k miles!!! My BC coilovers aren't as smooth but done 6k and not a squeak.

So I don't listen to feedback?

If not, I'd have had the Nissan on your favoured BC Coilovers, but thankfully I've been in enough cars to know the damping was bloody horrendous on them, so avoided them like the plague.

Brakewise, I could have easily spunked money on a full set of K-Sports all round. Instead, I took OEM Nissan calipers, refurbished them myself, and bought quality pads and discs. Why? Because I decided the K-Sports are finnicky for UK road use with their lack of dust seals, whereas I know the Nissan calipers will last a LOT longer without potentially seizing, because they already had.

But sod it, I'm blinded by badges clearly.

Anyway it's by the by, we're going off the topic of Rotas, and I will never change my mind on them.

Last edited:
While my experience of budget vs premium isn't on a JDM car I still stand by my experience in the past. I ran a number of different suspension set ups on the Clio's I've had in the past and my experience was that buying a set of £500ish set of coilovers will result in abysmal suspension. I subsequently went back out when they were available for the 182 and bought a set of H&R's like I'd had on the 172, buy cheap buy twice.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
So I don't listen to feedback?

Anyway it's by the by, we're going off the topic of Rotas, and I will never change my mind on them.
If not, I'd have had the Nissan on your favoured BC Coilovers, but thankfully I've been in enough cars to know the damping was bloody horrendous on them, so avoided them like the plague.

Brake wise, I could have easily spunked money on a full set of K-Sports all round. Instead, I took OEM Nissan calipers, refurbished them myself, and bought quality pads and discs. Why? Because I decided the K-Sports are finnicky for UK road use with their lack of dust seals, whereas I know the Nissan calipers will last a LOT longer without potentially seizing, because they already had.

But sod it, I'm blinded by badges clearly.

Obviously not setup right than are they! As mine are only a little harder than stock, as for the dust seals fair point but I strip mine down brakes down every 6 months and clean due to my car sitting still for 6 days per week so no problem for me!

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
It's like the old faithful that people seem to struggle to separate, grip and handling.

I was reffering to my coilovers as they have rebound damping adjustment with external res, I doubt the ones mentioned above did.