ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

seeling newly refurbed wheels

E92 M3
i am geting my wheels refurbed very soon and was wundering if its best to seel them before useing cleaning products on them.

if so whats best to use

thanks scott

What have you got to hand mate?

I would use any decent durable wax, For me Collinite 476... because i cant be bothered to buy an "alloy wax" and dont really need to..

I think 476 is perfect for alloys though, 2 coats every 6 months etc..

You're getting your wheels refurbed at the start of winter? Seems a back to front way of doing things...

F56 MINI Cooper S
Ive recently sprayed mine, use EGP on them, i presume its doing a job as its sealent isnt it which is supposed to protect

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I went over the top on mine when I got them as I didn't fit them ASAP, used what I had in the shed.

Made sure they were clean by de taring and claying, then AG SRP, followed by 4 coats of EGP, followed by 4 coats of collies 476:eek:. nothing seems to have stuck to them yet suprisingly with the use of an i4d wheel brush and normal car shampoo.

182, Q7, Focus, XFR
I've used poorboys wheel sealant, for 12 months all they've needed is a sponge or old washmit, hardly need to bother with any detergent too, just water gets most muck off.

DCi 100
Gtechniq something or other can't remember the exact name. There was a thread were JD linked it acouple of weeks ago have a search.

I'd find it for you but on the iPhone ATM.

E92 M3
What have you got to hand mate?

I would use any decent durable wax, For me Collinite 476... because i cant be bothered to buy an "alloy wax" and dont really need to..

I think 476 is perfect for alloys though, 2 coats every 6 months etc..

havnt realy got anything to hand mate so will have to buy something

^The wheel armour is supposed to be very good, But once you add it to the basket, pay VAT and there high postage, your looking at £30...

Depends how much your willing to spend, If its just a newly set of refurb'd wheels, Id be looking at a durable wax about 15 quid id go for:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/poorboys-wheel-sealant/prod_9.html

Or Colli 476 which is a really good durable wax, and if you did 2x coats on the wheels they're good to go, also its meant for the body work so you can use it on the car as well:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-no-476s-super-doublecoat-auto-wax/prod_207.html

476 is not heat resistant. Nor is EGP.

If you want to reapply regularly, buy a wax.

If you want long lasting protection, you buy a wheel wax. It's quite simple.

and the usual applies. Pay more, get more. Poorboys is good. C5 lasts a long time. Hence the price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Brown Bear

How hot do wheels get JD?

I suppose warm, but ive left 476 on for months and got the brakes red hot and still colli seems to be working perfectly.

I see your point about the dedicated waxes though the wheel waxes must last a lot longer, Will get some C5 to try at some point.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Depends how you drive.

I set fire to the tire black on the front wheels of my M3....

Yep just thinking how stupid i am now for asking it... even when my brakes are as hot as i can get them the actual alloy is only warm..

on a sports car maybe slightly hotter haha.

Yep just thinking how stupid i am now for asking it... even when my brakes are as hot as i can get them the actual alloy is only warm..

on a sports car maybe slightly hotter haha.

Think of disc/pad size as well. The R8's wheels get warmer than my S3's, which will get warmer than your Clios... all to do with size, speed and weight.