ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SKY Q

Audi S1
Has anyone got any experience with having Sky Q installed in a new build?
Apparently I'm not allowed to install a Sky dish on our house, yet we have coax inputs in the rooms for Sky TV. Sky Q uses a different LNB connector though, I think? I assume our dish will be in our loft.

SQ5
Apparently I'm not allowed to install a Sky dish on our house, yet we have coax inputs in the rooms for Sky TV. Sky Q uses a different LNB connector though, I think? I assume our dish will be in our loft.

Same dish just different LNB on the end.

If it's a new build your fine to put a dish, it's just in your terms so the houses look nice until others are finished.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I was hoping Sky Q would be fibre for all services like Virgin. I really don't want to have to put a dish on our new house. Is putting a dish in the loft space feasible?

Phoned them before and the best deal I have been offered is:

Boxsets Bundle £19
Q Multiscreen £12
2 Mini Boxes
Q 2TB Main Box
Sky Fibre Max £25
Line rental with 35% discount for 12 months £11.31
New phone line (£20 one off given for free)
Telephone Package 7pm-7am & weekends free for 1 hour £4 p/m

Total monthly £71.31 p/m
Total upfront £198.00

I was planning on going for the variety bundle, but was told if I want HD I need the Boxset one.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Can anyone with Sky Q Fibre please advise, is the connection to the router a phone line connection or Fibre/Coaxial? Looking online seems to suggest its just a regular phone line?

I got them down to £65 p/m on the above deal btw and a fair bit of discount off of setup and upfront fees.

Audi S1
Can anyone with Sky Q Fibre please advise, is the connection to the router a phone line connection or Fibre/Coaxial? Looking online seems to suggest its just a regular phone line?

I got them down to £65 p/m on the above deal btw and a fair bit of discount off of setup and upfront fees.
It's over the phone line, only Virgin is direct fiber iirc.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Good stuff, I had a phone line put in to the office in the new house, but thought I might have dropped the ball and should have asked for a satellite / STV point.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
If you lookup the Sky Q hub online it looks like its broadband connection is an RJ11 which suprised me as it does suggest phoneline.

Audi S1
BT do a lot of FTTH, for broadband.

Even some
Of our rural customers are getting it
In my experience it's only ever been Virgin.
I'm with BT infinity now, I get pretty good speed with their fiber but it's over the phone line not direct.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
In my experience it's only ever been Virgin.
I'm with BT infinity now, I get pretty good speed with their fiber but it's over the phone line not direct.

I'm fairly sure Virgin isn't fibre to the home. I'm sure someone more technical can confirm.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
My current Virgin connection is coaxial from the cabinet I believe to the house which includes the phone line, i'm assuming its Fibre to the cabinet.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
If I haven't turned it on in 24 hours the box either won't power on, or does this..

And it won't respond, so I have to hard power it off in both instances

Attachments

• IMG_8468.JPG
    IMG_8468.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 97

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
If I haven't turned it on in 24 hours the box either won't power on, or does this..

And it won't respond, so I have to hard power it off in both instances

Yay, mine have started doing that, although it's not such a PITA that I have to turn it on every 24 hrs to stop it.

Sounds like the same issues I was having but this resolved it.

Your main box will be using an ECO standby mode. Switch this off completely so there is no standby on at all.

This has resolved my mini issues anyway.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Sounds like the same issues I was having but this resolved it.

Your main box will be using an ECO standby mode. Switch this off completely so there is no standby on at all.

This has resolved my mini issues anyway.
I will give that a try! thank you x

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
So if I put my box into standby mode myself, will that have the same effect as that eco standby? Ie do I need to have my sky box 'on' all the time @eugegall

A shiny black one.
I've had to Ethernet mine now, the wireless is crap, constantly dropping out. However I've not had the issue above, my 'eco' mode was switched off from day one.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Tempted to upgrade to this purely for the multi-room aspect with no extra wires (already hard wired ethernet in all rooms, I'm guessing the mini-box supports an ethernet connection?). Is it worth an extra £12 per month and £100 upfront cost?

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
So if I put my box into standby mode myself, will that have the same effect as that eco standby? Ie do I need to have my sky box 'on' all the time @eugegall
I've not tried that mate. I just don't have mine on standby ever.

Try that first and if it works then try your suggestion as that means we have found a solution.

Keep me posted.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I've not tried that mate. I just don't have mine on standby ever.

Try that first and if it works then try your suggestion as that means we have found a solution.

Keep me posted.
We had Sky out because I told them they could take the lot back.
Moved the mini box a foot further away from the tv and this sorted our wifi issue.
They also turned off the eco mode on the main box, however found that if the mini box is turned off onto standby manually, we will still occasionally get the non responding issues.

M135i
what is the best deal people have got for this, wanting to upgrade the current sky setup, currently being quoted £198 for the 2tb box and mini box setup with no extra monthlies, but have known someone get the same for half that

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
So far so good.. but I did have the kitchen mini box telly on standby.

So will now leave them both on and see how we go
Result. Fingers crossed mate.

Mine has developed a new issue.

If I want to watch on demand or download a movie it won't let me. The clickable button isn't clickable. I have to take the power cable out for 30 seconds then back in for it to download. Very annoying.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
what is the best deal people have got for this, wanting to upgrade the current sky setup, currently being quoted £198 for the 2tb box and mini box setup with no extra monthlies, but have known someone get the same for half that

Everything (movies, sports, box sets etc), 2TB main box, 1 mini box. £35 a month and £10 install cost. 12 month contract and 12 month discount.

That's just for TV, my internet and phone is with Virgin Media. The package I'm on should be about £90 a month, oh and I was a new customer so that might make a difference.

A shiny black one.
It seems hardwiring has caused me more issues. I'm now finding my Virgin media wifi is getting upset since using Ethernet. I'm getting in and there's no sign of the 5Ghz signal, and the 2.4ghz still shows up but the password will not work. A quick reboot solves the issue but it reoccurs some time later. I've also noticed that since using Ethernet I have 2 sky wifi signals???

Anyway to get around it I found out that you can disable the wifi feature completely from the main box and mini boxes. To do this you go into the menu, go to settings but don't press select or move further into the settings menu. Just highlight settings and press 0,0,1 (select), this opens up the engineers menu like the older boxes. From here you can switch off the wifi (start with the mini boxes first), Ethernet and the built in powerline network feature. The powerline feature is default to off, and I didn't try to enable it to test if it works.

Last edited:
  SQ5
You need to reset main box connection to wired too as it won't work reliably, go to advanced network settings and choose hard wired connection, when asked if you have a Sky Router ALWAYS select no whether you have or not. Then do your mini boxes

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah have it at mine. Just etc the dish in the garden below fence level and you're fine. Once I did mine all the Neighbour's dishes started going up. Was funny to watch [emoji28]

A shiny black one.
You need to reset main box connection to wired too as it won't work reliably, go to advanced network settings and choose hard wired connection, when asked if you have a Sky Router ALWAYS select no whether you have or not. Then do your mini boxes
I did, they're both wired. It's just strange how it causes my virgin media router to s**t itself. I solved the problem by putting it into modem mode and using an old cisco router instead.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ours has started playing up a bit more frequently now...main box is in non-eco mode, seems to make not one bit of difference.

Watchdog have a thing on Sky Q next week...worth watching to either see how best to get Sky to sort things out...or to find out we've all been collectively f*cked.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Ive just redeemed a voucher on sky for £13 or there abouts. So I selected suicide squad and it said its now ready to view on up to 4-5 devices etc but when in set it up on tv there is no association with what ive paid for on my lap top.
How do I watch it on my TV.????

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Result. Fingers crossed mate.

Mine has developed a new issue.

If I want to watch on demand or download a movie it won't let me. The clickable button isn't clickable. I have to take the power cable out for 30 seconds then back in for it to download. Very annoying.

No issues since doing this :D very pleased

What was said on watchdog?