ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stiff passenger side rear wheel

Clio 172 Cup
Bought a 172 cup (52 plate, 61k miles) at the end of last week. It'd had new rear wheel bearings and pads in the last 3 months. Owner was selling due to insurance costs, so hasn't been driving it for a month or so. Was parked on a level drive.

I have a sloped drive I reverse park on. The handbrake needed about 7-8 clicks - as tight as I could get it - to hold it. This was a bit worrying... Tonight was the first chance I had to get it in the garage and have a poke around.

With the rear on axle stands and the handbrake off, drivers side rear will rotate by hand relatively freely. Passenger side not freely at all. Put the car back on the ground and, with handbrake off and in neutral, I can push the car around. Once it was back in the air though I have the same problem - so it wasn't just momentarily seized.

To make matters worse whoever last put the wheels on clearly hasn't heard of torque settings, as I can't get any of the wheel nuts moving at all. Properly frustrating...

​So... I'm assuming the piston activated by the handbrake isn't withdrawing, and that I should be able to turn the wheels freely by hand when they're in the air. If anyone would like to suggest alternatives please do, or I'll have to experience the joy of telling SWMBO that my new car is going to have to visit the garage already :S.

​Could the fact that the handbrake has to be applied so tight also play a part in it? I'm hoping I'm not looking at new cables...

Clio 172 Cup
Some closure: as suspected piston was seized enough not to be withdrawing properly. All sorted now (new caliper) and hadn't damaged the pad and disc so caught it before it did any more damage. Handbrake adjusted to more sensible level too.