ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Super Cup Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started at 11 This morning.

By 12pm
scengineout1.jpg

By 3pm
scengineout2.jpg

By 4:30pm
scengineout3.jpg

By 6 - gearbox off, engine ancils stipped, new engine back on stand to recieve cams etc. etc,

Will be cleaning up the engine bay tomorrow and getting a few bits ready for the new engine going in on Monday.

Also need to remember to order new front ball joints and TRE's.

Cheers
M

Erm... it's an air filter? ;-) Finished spec 1 Super Cup over Xmas and it was the only filter I could find (in the bin) so it went on for the trip to Leeds for Paul to Calibrate the Siemens.

It made about 0.5bhp difference in the end so it stayed on there during the cold weather. New engine will have a new inlet manifold setup so (a better) filter will be relocated to behind the head light.

Cheers
M

M

mini-valver

Cant wait to see the new lump. Give me a shout when you're chucking it in and I'll pop down to lend a hand/be nosey!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
7hrs to gutt the front of the clio, I think it would take me a little bit (not much though LOL) longer than that. ;)

5S Laingo! , c'mon don't want to hear that when I' off work ;)

good to see a pro posting that it has taken a sensible amount of time (i.e. a day) to reach a stage like that - rather than the usual internet mechanics posting, 'shouldn't take you more than 3 hours' etc:rolleyes::D

sarnies, tea and cigarettes involved, or was that a fairly steady effort?

good to see a pro posting that it has taken a sensible amount of time (i.e. a day) to reach a stage like that - rather than the usual internet mechanics posting, 'shouldn't take you more than 3 hours' etc:rolleyes::D

You can get them out quicker - but whats the point in rushing ;-) Takes us just under an hour to engine out an X85 but then they're race cars designed to be taken apart quickly i.e. bulkhead loom connectors etc. etc.

That was with a good hour for a maccy d's lunch, plenty of coffee and my standard per hour cig break. On a car with a few miles on it, checking everything as you go to identify potential problem areas and areas which need attention before refit then its about 4.5 hours from start to having the engine on the floor with the box off etc.

Cheers
M

Update from today.

Engine bay cleaned and prepped with some no longer required sound deadening removed , wheel arches cleaned and all suspension joints checked, various bits of engine cleaned and painted, gearbox cleaned up and checked + misc bits.

bayclean.jpg

paintedbits.jpg

archesclean.jpg

What's impressive is that at 100K there is no corrosion on anything, all break lines are still in good nick, all the chassis rails are mint etc. Once this lot is done it really will be better than new LOL

New engine should be ready to go in the car tomorrow evening :)

Cheers
M

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome Stuff.... Wish I had the Knowledge/Tools etc. to be able to do all this sort of stuff myself

340i
Top work Matt... Should look minty fresh once complete!

Would love to have the work space to do something like this

Are you fitting a new/different heatshield? Mine is looking rather tired now, trying to think of what to replace with

Nope the heat shield is the silver bit, the rest is just sound deadening/insulation. No need for anything in addition to that, also with how I've cut it the remaining insulation/shield is retained firmly on the standard fasteners.

Cheers
M

340i
Nope the heat shield is the silver bit, the rest is just sound deadening/insulation. No need for anything in addition to that, also with how I've cut it the remaining insulation/shield is retained firmly on the standard fasteners.

Cheers
M

My silver heat shield has dropped off... thinking of taking all the insulation/heat shield off and attaching a sheet metal type shield to the original fastener..

J

J182sport

Just seen this new post, was hoping for some updates great work!

look forward to lots more!

My silver heat shield has dropped off... thinking of taking all the insulation/heat shield off and attaching a sheet metal type shield to the original fastener..

Yep that'll work fine. Some Nimbus heat shield material will work well and its very easy to shape....... or some Mylar if you're feeling mega flush! ;-)

Cheers
M

Lump done and ready to go back in.

Cams in (standard 428's):
camsin.jpg

Lump done with ancils on etc.

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

It's looking pretty good. All belts and seals have been replaced with new so it should have a good few years of life in it with no messing about required.

Cheers
M

Megane 2 GT 165
Looking good!

Am I just confused or does your inlet-side (on the head) look worked on? flatned / grinded / skimmed or how you call it in English?
Looks super smooth...

BTW will this be the lump you will fit your development inlet to?

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Looking good!

Am I just confused or does your inlet-side (on the head) look worked on? flatned / grinded / skimmed or how you call it in English?
Looks super smooth...

As far as i know its a standard brand fire new head from renault. With the inlet work done to it.

Looking good!

Looks super smooth...

It's a brand new cylinder head so it's never had anything bolted to it hence the shiny appearance.

Yep this is the dev engine.

Cheers
M

172 5HED
Will have to see this again when I come for the cage mate!! Will bring crazy boy too if he's game!

Lionel Richie

i can confirm you CAN take them out in 2-3 hours if you go like a madman, Icarus will confirm it also

matt isn't a pro, he's a connoisseur ;)

LY 182
mines been out in 3 hours before.

wouldnt make a habit of it though, i cant be bothered to work like a mad man all the time

if i got the job at work i'd probably pace an engine out job over more than half a day

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Great work, i carnt wait to see the inlet on the engine (and also be ready for sale, moneys burning a hole!)

M

mini-valver

That aux belt is pretty slack ;)

Brand new engines look mint, I'm such a sad cnut.

Status
Not open for further replies.