ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharge the 182 or get something else?

Mk2 172
Be a realist - how many go bang?

Cough cough 280bhp !!!!!

Performance figures
Power 280 bhp / 209 KW @ 6500 rpm
Torque 343 Nm / 253 ft lbs @ 4000 rpm
BHP/Liter 140 bhp / liter
Power to weight 0.22 bhp / kg
Top Speed 251 km/h / 156 mph
0-60 mph 4.7 s

i went to a rolling road trip with prodrive just before the p1 was released with a friend of mine who works at prodrive. they ran ten p1's and not one ran more than 272 hp. most ran between 260 and 270. doesnt matter tho really.
3 of my friends have had p1's and one of them still has one.
Hes had 4 engines and the other two of them have had 3 each.
The reason for it is usually a failure of the air mass meter and its internals continously getting dirty and making the car run lean and which is why they always go pop. Replacing it every 6 months can pretty much stop it happening. U can get the parts for the inside of it but subaru say they dont supply them unless u have a specific part number.
The other reason the engine in the p1 goes bang again even after a subaru replacement is because of the rubbish slung together bottom end that subaru supply and fit for you. Take a trip up to roger clark and look at all the version 5/6 bottom end she has there!! they are appauling! version 1 was best engine by far!!! closed deck :)

Mk2 172
Yeh but how much is a P1 going to cost on track! Not cheap! And even a Megane would cost a lot more too, 888s in 18" = expensive!

At least modding the Clio is 'sort of' a one off payment, it will still cost me pretty much the same to run as it does now. And when/if I do decide to sell the SC kit, it can just be bolted straight off, unplug the ECU and sell it!

my megane was 8.5k :) 225 trophy, limited edition only 158 in uk. only done 21k miles :) 1 owner.
Much better chassis than clio and has very easy tuning capability. a simple remap and bigger cooler and ur done! cup suspension is brilliant. comfortable but stiff and as ive said before much better roll centre so feels far more planted and less pitching and diving in corners

u can get an r26 for 10k and stick a set of r888's on it and it will run rings round a clio. In a straight line the SC clio will be faster but its not all about straight line performance. plus megane will put its power down properly whatever the weather and comes with decent brakes as standard :)

my megane was 8.5k :) 225 trophy, limited edition only 158 in uk. only done 21k miles :) 1 owner.
Much better chassis than clio and has very easy tuning capability. a simple remap and bigger cooler and ur done! cup suspension is brilliant. comfortable but stiff and as ive said before much better roll centre so feels far more planted and less pitching and diving in corners

u can get an r26 for 10k and stick a set of r888's on it and it will run rings round a clio. In a straight line the SC clio will be faster but its not all about straight line performance. plus megane will put its power down properly whatever the weather and comes with decent brakes as standard :)

I can't help feeling you're a little bias

Mk2 172
I can't help feeling you're a little bias

im just relayin my own experiences. if hes not worried about possible hassles and possible reliablility issues and not worried about spending 4k on a 5k car then go for it. it will be fun and will be fast but theres other things to go with it eg- brakes etc but the main reason i sold the clio was it just caused me hassle wen modified if im honest and i wish id left it alone lol

I really appreciate your input Dan, and as tempting as the Meganes are I don't think I'll get one. I was looking at the R26s and saw quite a few online that looked really nice.

I also wouldnt really want a standard car at the moment though, the way I am at the minute, if I got a Megane I'd only end up ripping everything out of it anyway, ruining a very nice R26.

I know what your saying about reliability, and I've seen first hand a couple of things that were wrong with your 182, but I have been told you were quite unlucky with your TBs, I don't see that many horror stories of anyone else whose significantly modded their clio engines.

The next step for me is to await the completion of the KTEC test car, then I'll pop down for a big chat and a test drive :evil:

White Evo V
Shadowness if you really need persuading then get yourself up here for the Wakefield meet on the 17th Jan, il take you for a blast, Monday morning you will be calling to book it in! Lol :)

Golf GTD Mk7

Wouldn't say that really.

Golf GTD Mk7
driven the r26 and r26r (although much better than the standard r26) mate and they are good granted, but not much different to the 197 imo. 182 maybe a bit more twitchy, but chassis is very capable imo.

Ph1
yeh but better lol. change the car imo. done the tuning thing and its good for a bit but u soon get fed up and want more!! more money then and more unreliability issues!!

You could say the same for any car. How many folk mod EVO's? You'll probably be hard pushed to find a standard one yet out the tin their crazy fast

BMW M5 & E36
May I draw peoples attention to this thread, specifically those who seem to think bags of power is a necessity:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=476932

makes you wonder (as you say) get the suspension, tyres , grip sorted and then learn to drive is there any real need for ££££ on engine mods.

It's the same story on UK trackdays, it's quite easy to 'humble' people in much quicker cars. All you need is decent tyres and a bit of track knowledge and you'll be as quick as half of 'em lol.

If only people would understand this in the Supercharger thread...

+1. I've given up on that thread lol.

Spec of the 306, note the huge engine spec:

Spec: Almost std engine 175bhp.

Nippy white cup
Exactly andy...while I agree that track lessons etc count for a lot if you had the experience and the extra power then surely that would make a difference too. This is what I love about CS...someone asks a simple question and it kicks off into a 13+ page argument. Some people on here could have hundreds of lessons and never be any good...others can drive mentally fast with little experience so it really is down to the driver.

Me, if I was in the same position I would get the charger and enjoy it for what it is.....unexpectadly quick and a load of fun..some people love the mechanical side of things, others prefer to clean theirs, I just like to drive it and couldn't care less that I have limited mech knowledge

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
life we would very dull if we all followed suit all the time, no matter how much people think their view is right. This is not right or wrong is highly subjective.

Andy