ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharge the 182 or get something else?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
i think the vid of jons car vs the masa is enough to prove that it IS a biblical improvement over standard tbh.

no it wont improve the handling, but to get a decent set up of coilies etc your looking at nigh on 2 grand anyway ;)

so if you add a charger to the susp set up + the car youd be looking at somewhere near the £10k mark, to get a car that would beat it in std form, as most seem to be suggesting with the m3s etc, youd be looking at at least double that figure.
Really?
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1406883.htm

All that vid shows is that it's quick in a straight line. Great. As I've said, but people clearly have trouble reading lol, is that being quick in a straight line, does nothing for me. No, I don't want a slow car, but the standard car is quick enough for what it is.

It's basically burning a big wad of cash. As with all mods, you'll not get a great deal of money come selling time, and you're limiting your audience.

williams and trophy
same car on bodies......its not too shabby at going round corners either..... like i said.once the susp is sorted whats left to do???

more power.

[youtube]4Ji9B8gXPV8[/youtube]

[youtube]qiE5pJLd2-M[/youtube]

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
2 live said:
same car on bodies......its not too shabby at going round corners either..... like i said.once the susp is sorted whats left to do???

more power.

[youtube]4Ji9B8gXPV8[/youtube]

[youtube]qiE5pJLd2-M[/youtube]

I'd rather spend the money on track days and tuition. I will never, ever, ever want to spend 4k on making a 4pot, fwd shopping trolley fast in a straight line. Especially one with a fairly basic setup and no LSD. Not gonna happen. You posting vids of a Clio that's fast in a straight line won't convince me it's more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williams and trophy
lmao...did u watch the vids??? there are corners at snetterton u know.

granted not the best of lap times, but was my first time driving the car, and first time on that track. the cars going past were mainly time attack cars......big buck motors... we had a race spec cooper s and a ex clio cup car behind us, and losing ground for most of that vid. and not forgetting the countless m3s behind us that span out.

and exactly how much would you be prepared to spend on tuition??

and if you stick by your never ever spend 4k on a quicker car....why arent you driving a 1.2 or some other cheaper/slower car??

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1406883.htm ..........like i said......a faster car...the charged clio would rape this.

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
lmao...did u watch the vids??? there are corners at snetterton u know.

granted not the best of lap times, but was my first time driving the car, and first time on that track. the cars going past were mainly time attack cars......big buck motors... we had a race spec cooper s and a ex clio cup car behind us, and losing ground for most of that vid. and not forgetting the countless m3s behind us that span out.

and exactly how much would you be prepared to spend on tuition??

You're missing my point entirely. Yes, it's fast. But fwd is a lot easier to drive than rwd. There's no challenge. Fun, up to a point. But once you reach that point, more power won't make it more fun.

I'd rather drive a 1.8 mx5 than a 400bhp Clio.

So far I've spent about £1000 on road/track tuition.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Can you read? I've already said in an earlier post that I don't want a slow car, but the standard is quick enough for what it is. I give up, a you clearly aren't bright enough to understand that I don't feel more power won't make it a better, more fun car. I'll leave you to it.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I think people are missing what Warren and i are trying to convey.

For us, its not about speed, its about driver involvement & the challenge of wrestling a car around the corners. Whilst we are both merely offering a different perspective to that which the OP is used to, this is clearly a notion that is lost in this thread tbh.

Yes, a S/C clio will be fun, but it will never offer the deft level of driving involvement of something like an elise. All the video shows is a clio being quicker around a track, well yes, but which cars involves the greater level of skill. Clue, its not the front driver ...

My 328i Sport was a great example of this, whilst on the CS 'spirited drives' it was sometimes left by the 1*2's in the really tight stuff, it was clear at the end of the trips who was having to work the hardest to get the most from the car. I was the one with the soggy brow, sweaty palms & enhanced knowledge of opposite lock.

My experience comes from a variety of FWD & RWD. My 1*2's were much faster across cross-country than my Z3M ever was, but the BMW scared the cr4p out of me every time i really tried to peddle it fast ... as such, it took a lot longer to master & was for me, a far better drivers car.

For less than the cost of your S/C, this 286bhp, throttle bodied, LSD loving beast would be sat on your drive, along with enough money for 5 track days, some Hanc**k RS2's and a decent set of discs/pads... id buy it, but it wont fit in the garage :dapprove:

1399535-2.jpg

DMS

A thirsty 172
Danny, unfortunatley your in the minority here, Very few people on the forum have driven a genuine 200bhp+ clio so very few understand the fun factor involved of having a humble clio that punches well above its weight.

It really does come down to what floats your boat, I love having a powerfull unique hot hatch and can honestly say that looking at m3, evo's,sti's etc... does nothing for me it's all been done a million times before and the number you see every time you go out just makes me think I made the right choice keeping mine.

As for all these suggestions about getting a RWD car because there so much more involving to drive, try riding a bike quickly and see what true involvment is.

Nail. Head.

Unless you've actually driven a Clio with a lot more power than standard you won't understand the appeal. Those who haven't should try it sometime or get somebody who owns one to take them for a spin. I'm sure one or two opinions would be changed afterwards.

williams and trophy
i dont think anyones missing any point mate. you cant compare rwd to fwd.

how much fun is a reliant robin/kitten...rwd...compared to a mini fwd. id rather be in the mini tbh.

the point you are both missing is that both can be fun. altho the fwd is quicker. ;)

both can still be balanced on the throttle.

you get used to the power in your m3, what do you do??? go and buy an m5 or try and tweek the m3 a bit??

iv come off track on many many track days sweating my nads off after battling with the deft throttle changes of understeer/lift off oversteer. but because im not in rwd does that mean i havent had fun??

you get used to the power of your car, whether it be fwd/rwd/awd, you put more power though it and it suddenly becomes a different animal. corners you know you could hit at full chat before suddenly become a test to see how big your balls are as to how high up the rev range you can now hit it.

the added fun of the s/c clio is that the tuned scoobs etc that think your easy meat now look disgusted with their car for NOT being able to whip the little shopping trolley.

williams and trophy
I'd rather drive a 1.8 mx5 than a 400bhp Clio.

So far I've spent about £1000 on road/track tuition.

Can you read? I've already said in an earlier post that I don't want a slow car, but the standard is quick enough for what it is. I give up, a you clearly aren't bright enough to understand that I don't feel more power won't make it a better, more fun car. I'll leave you to it.

you dont want a slow car but would rather have a 1.8 mx5 than a 400 bhp clio......bout time you made your mind up i think. slow car vs fast car.....would be the 400 bhp clio for me every time. trying to master it would be a hell of a lot more fun than a 1.8 mx5 no matter which end the power was being transmitted to.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I can see both sides of this arguement - I've driven front and rear wheel drive cars on track and there's a fine balance to be had

FWD on track:

205 Gti with MI16 lump
Clio 182
Clio 172 Cup

RWD on track

Tiger kit car
VX220 2.2

If on a wet day the VX220 was the most satisfying to drive followed by the Tiger - although ultimately probably slower over the whole lap then any of the front wheel drive cars

If on a dry day it was between the 205 Gti and the VX220. The 205 felt really really quick (much quicker than the Clio) because it is so light and tinny - in terms of pace there was very little in it between that and the 182 (the 205 had adjustable Avos and uprated brakes).

I found the kit car frustrating (in the dry) as I was getting overtaken by cars that more power on the straights and it wasn't better enough on corners to make up for it. I know it's not a race (it's just to test yourself within your limits) but it's no fun seeing loads of people piling past you all day.

It also depends what type of track you are on. I either go on Castle Combe, or Hullavington airfield. If you're on Combe then it seems to me like a power track (like Silverstone is), so something like the 205 was good as it had good mid-range and top end, but there was enough to challenge the chassis corner wise.

Hullavington had 2 big straights, but one with a hair pin at the end, and the other with a trciky 60/70mph off camber corner at the end of it. I was in the 172 cup there and within reason was one of the fastest cars there (aside from a few R500 Caterhams/supercharged exige/400bhp Civic type R engined mk 1 Elise), which was very satisfying. The only bad bit was managing the wheelspin coming out of the hairpin and one other corner (and we went through 1 brand new pair of T1-R's during the day!). We were quicker then all the M3's that day, several elises, a VX220 (2.2), among other things.

So again, it's up to the op which track days he wants to use it at, and probably how long he'll keep the car for. If he'll keep it 3-4 years then he'll get good use out the 4k and it's probably equivalent to depreciation he might face on a more expensive car now.

Plus tyre costs/petrol/brakes etc aren't going to cost anymore then now on the Clio, and they're quite reasonably priced.

You get an M3 or bigger car and those costs per track day go up very quickly with 17 or 18 inch wheels and massive discs/brake pads.

Plus you get something different with the sc'd Clio that not many other people have - how many M3's are there about - loads! Sleeper type cars always appeal to me.

That's my 2p's worth.

Golf GTD Mk7
bit of a curve ball, but have you thought about getting a slip diff and decent suspension setup? A diff would make a massive difference on the clio. Especially on a track.

Dan it's your choice it's your money ;)

me personally i couldn't stop at just a charger conversion, i'd want to sort the dampers, fit an lsd and after market management to start with. So 4k turns in to 7-8k :eek:

But you'll never lose all that money, if you stuck a used s/c conversion up in the for sale adds on here, someone would pay you 2k without a doubt, If you stuck up some used 1k dampers, someone would pay you £600 for them, if you stuck up a gearbox with lsd fitted someone would give you £700, and i'm sure if you tried to sell an aftermarket set up, someone would buy that too.

While ever Clio 1*2 are around someone will always buy 2nd hand tuner parts.
So if you did spend 4k 8k 10k.......... etc you'll probably never lose more than 50% if you sell the parts on and the car seperate.

One thing for you to try though is a good set of brake pads, i couldn't believe how big a difference fitting the PF97's made, get some and fit them, then see how far you can push them, trust me you'll be braking 1-2 seconds later for every corner.

Chris

Thanks again Chris. Well I've been making enquires into the KTEC SC kit, which will come with an aftermarket ecu management kit.

Inevitably coilovers would be on the shopping list too, I've already uprated the brakes so they should be fine (for now!).

As I've said previously, I never really look into the money I'll loose when I buy anything. As long as you enjoy it for the time you have it, that's what matters for me.

SQ5
How much is the Ktec kit with the Omex on top of it then? As RSTuning runs on standard management @ £4025?

PS. Video had 20 mins more of uploading to do ;)

SQ5
Its not complete. Their not selling as a package as yet AFAIK. RSTuning is the only place publicising it I suppose.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Just wait and get a better car later.

Faster isn't always better.

There's a street KA round here with a focus RS engine in it. Its fair rapid but i'll always be a faggot wagon worth 4k no matter how many more ££££ he ploughs into it.

People always so 'well its the fun of driving a modified car' and tbh it isn't. I spent £1500 getting my old MX-5 turbo to 240bhp. It was fun but no more fun than my mates E36 M3 3.0. I was lucky with the MX-5 as i bought it very cheap so i managed to make my money back on it.

But 99/100 modifiying a car majorly = burning money.

Yes it might but fun/stressful/rewarding. Then again burning £5k with a flame thrower would be fun/stressful/rewarding and you wouldn't do that would you.

Thanks for that really useful input.

Ph1
^^The Street KA driver might be a faggot but he'll always be the faggot in front ;)

End of the day folk might not want to go out and buy a M3 or a similar RWD car offering this ''more fun'' for the cash. They might like their Clio for what it is and just want some more power from it..

You think 4k is a lot to spend on a charged Clio but at least your getting a serious weapon for the cash unlike this 4k conversion or am i missing something:

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetails.php?id=522

Well I'm 99% sure Im NOT getting something else. As tempting as a lot of other cars are, I don't think I could put up with the increased running costs, especially for track use.

So I have either two options for the clio:

Mad - get the SC conversion.

Sensible - get the car properly set up for track. So a set of coilovers (don't ask which ones!) professionally set-up and maybe a few other minor things.

But Im still awaiting the full release of the KTEC kit (as one of my options) so I don't have a final price for it yet, so it's hard to make a decision.

No doubt I'll keep you posted :)

SQ5
I Doubt any will be coming with an aircon option as the supercharger takes it's place! To keep it would involve a lot of work!

White Evo V
IMO it's just a bit too complicated to work properly!! But like I said that's my opinion, just doesn't look reliable, good idea but I personaly I just would rather loose aircon as the current design is unbeatable, simple, effective!

SQ5
As Ben said, a lot of work to have it done. I remember seeing those pictures, from Autosport last year IIRC, but I didn't think it was a kit available, the Ktec kit will already be expensive as they will be running standalone management.